Two different shuttle systems..?

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
First of all: I am not sure about the term used in the title, please correct me if I'm wrong!!

I am thinking about two different type of shuttle systems. Please see graphic:

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 13.44.51.png

System 1) incorporating A and B.
A holds one train, direction as indicated.
B holds one train, direction as indicated.

A takes off, completes a round, and stops in 'A' again.
B takes off, completes a round, and stops in 'B' again.

Can this be done? I'm aware I need electrical operated points. (no electrical points needed). What is this system called in English? (Don't even know how this is called in Dutch!)

System 2) Incorporates only C!
Note: There are NO trains in A or B. Only C holds one train.
C takes of to the left.
C stops at C1. Waits a while, and reverses to C again.
C stops at C, waits a while, and takes off to the left again towards C1.

I think this is called a shuttle service?

Please note that for System 2 the shuttle runs towards C, but C is not physically and end point!!! It just needs to stop there and reverse after a couple of seconds.

And, I'd be very happy if these systems can be build into the same layout, of course NOT being operated at once!!!

MANY thanks again!

Last edited:

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Henri, certainly should be possible to automate either of those types of operation. For system (1) you don't need electrified points, if they're LGB points the train can push through the "exit" point even though it is set for the other route.

I have no direct experience of the LGB shuttle units (I have a small N gauge automated system), so I'm sure the experts on here will be able to advise in detail.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Henri, do you use analogue or digital power?
If analogue do any of your locos have LGB/Massoth decoders fitted?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I can't follow that, I'm afraid, without the track plans.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Henri, do you have the book "The World of LGB" ? It has detailed drawings showing track plans and the components to use for different types of operations.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Ok so 3 Vids of Auto Railways, the last one is one that I set up from a Circuit in Deepesche. I only got so far as you see in the Vid, but Point Operation was to be the next step. All set up using EPL. The Point Motors can be used as Relays with the Extra Switches. In fact I had a couple of them in use JUST as Relays. The other two Vids are of a HO Tram System that I found. Here he appears to be setting the Loop Point by hand.

JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Last edited:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I think that the concept of EPL is pretty much all intact so if Henri decides to go down that route it should help. I can show my circuit in more detail if you want Henri. Have to get the kit out of the lof though! It is a good first starting point.
JonD

Yes, the illustrations that are missing are not crucial ones to EPL or anything else in particular.

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks all (again!!) for the heads up towards EPL. I was not aware of this 'system', but after studying some pages I 'get' the concept and I do like the simplicity! I haven't studied all pages yet, but can you also delay a train when stopped before reversing?

This is really very neat!

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
, but can you also delay a train when stopped before reversing?

Yes.
I know of two basic methods.
One, a timer reversing circuit, available as ready made or not difficult to make from common easily available inexpensive electronic components.
Two use CV58 in a loco fitted with a Massoth, LGB, or recent Piko DCC decoder. This sets a delay time when a decoder fitted loco is running on analogue DC track. You can also adjust CVs 3 and 4 to control acceleration and deceleration.
All the above decoders are made by Massoth, I don't know if other brands have the pause facility.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Henri:
the later of the two LGB shuttle units, the one that is easily identified by two blue dials (potentiometers) on the underside is a great unit. I have first hand experience. These DO allow not only variable acceleration and deceleration, but also considerable wait time, also variable. These provide reasonably realistic arrival and departure action. These units come with two pieces of short track, of which each piece is gapped on a single side.

And the EPL system does allow for your number one scenario, typically with trains going in the same direction. Then, one woud need to add a polarity change in order to have the opposite direction feature, which i believe, is also spelled out in The World Of LGB book. You will need need magnets for the locos and several track relays, in order to have the auto system you desire in scenario 1.

Andrew B. Middleton

Registered
22 Jun 2016
Beechworth VIC 3747
Best answers
I am just now exploring a method of semi-automatic control of model trams, using powered overhead wire, and current return through bonded wheels. One of the people who developed the method, called "Cut-Rail", is Gordon Bulmer, of the UK. He is helping me to work out a way of using this control "system" for a double track junction with another double track. Eight tracks crossing each other at the one place, if you will. The beauty of such a system is that it doesn't need reed switches, infra-red detection systems, photo-electric detection, or relays. Some sections of track may have to be wired to a control panel near the junction to keep trams moving instead of always stopping.

jack s

Registered
29 Apr 2016
nyc
Best answers
try RR concepts...they have modular units...been using them for years they work great and are easy to install and easy to program

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks all for the replies. 'Things at home' have kept me out of the garden the last few weeks.

I have decided to investigate the EPL system, I like the options and the simplicity of the system. Just have to figure out a way to wire everything... Takign the rabbit teeth into account... :confused: