Turntable

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Only from last Weds when I said I was getting better and I'd soon be bouncing like Tigger?

The Avatar was in a reply from Chris Vernall....

Ah, I must have missed that conversation.... ;)

Some time ago the Memsahib and I were watching something on TV and she made a comment about a young lady on screen having "Tigger B**bs" - I must have looked puzzled, because the explanation (with a big grin) was "Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, FunFunFunFunFun!"

I think that, in the big Lottery of Life, I have been quite fortunate..... :D

Jon.

Reactions: Gizzy
Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Meanwhile, back on topic.... nice bit of modification there with the Maschinenhaus baseplate, Giz - and probably a lot easier than waiting for Bertram to send you a new one!

He is (in my experience) very good about sorting out any problems, when I picked up my pre-ordered little diesel kit from him at last year's Llanfair show I found it was missing several parts, but they were very quickly sent through to me direct from his workshop after a couple of emails, even though he was still over in the UK. I think he must have several full-time staff working on the architectural modelling side of his business, my guess would be that the railway modelling part of the business is very much a sideline as far as turnover is concerned.

Jon.

Gizzy

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Meanwhile, back on topic.... nice bit of modification there with the Maschinenhaus baseplate, Giz - and probably a lot easier than waiting for Bertram to send you a new one!

He is (in my experience) very good about sorting out any problems, when I picked up my pre-ordered little diesel kit from him at last year's Llanfair show I found it was missing several parts, but they were very quickly sent through to me direct from his workshop after a couple of emails, even though he was still over in the UK. I think he must have several full-time staff working on the architectural modelling side of his business, my guess would be that the railway modelling part of the business is very much a sideline as far as turnover is concerned.

Jon.
Yes Jon,

I've also found his service to be very good. When I built my 'Hosentrager' kit, I managed to break one of the allen screws during assembly. I asked him to sell me new ones, but he sent then FoC....

J

John S

Registered
5 Nov 2017
UK
While delving into the inner workings of the MD mXion HDD stepper motor decoder as a means to use on an outstanding project for a self build turntable as an addition to a DCC automation module, did ponder and wonder if the stepper motor decoder I was already working on, it had been shelved due to time restraints, and was one of the projects I had earmarked for working on as part of a New Years resolution, could it be improved and maybe utilised for use with a Bertram Heyn stepper motor turntable.

Seems the basic theory would indeed work, much of the last week has been spent on making adjustments to the existing program coding, and searching for items that would make the construction easier, more details of this to follow, including a DCC interface, will break it down into, self build (cheapest, soldering required), kit of parts (medium cost and some soldering), off the shelf components (most expensive but minimal soldering required).

Either as a Arduino DCC decoder or Arduino manual control with push buttons for stop and direction CW or CCW, and rotary or joystick control to move the turntable.

Bertram Heyn also uses a DC motor for turntable control, revamping my existing self build DCC loco decoder, as a method of control, an economical option than purchasing an "M" decoder as suggested.

Parts and components are on order, as they appear will start to put together a how to guide.

Pictures below, working DCC stepper motor decoder, using a Hall sensor to find "home", using switch addresses for pre- programed exit points, the arrow keys on the Navigator are used as direction keys either for CW or CCW for rotation.

114861_1c6465eda5fad89096f2a80a5ffe3169.png

114863_2fbecf258fd3ad813363e93ea3a0c6f4.png

Last edited:
Reactions: mike and idlemarvel
J

John S

Registered
5 Nov 2017
UK
For those who have been pondering around including a turntable whether it is one Bertram Heyn's or a self built idea, using either a stepper motor or a DC motor.
The nature and design of the MD mXion HDD stepper motor decoder, at first glance can appear to be quite daunting with it's numerous setting up parameters.

The following are a good starting point for the few who have an enquiring nature, whether it be to explore the world of self built decoders for a turntable or other uses, or even for the construction of a DCC central station, for which that subject matter has been fully covered elsewhere on this Forum.

Getting Started with Arduino.
Arduino - Getting Started

Install the Arduino Software (IDE) on Windows PCs, the (IDE) is also available for other operating systems.
Arduino - Windows

Getting Started with Arduino UNO, deliberately chosen for reasons that it's readily available, easy to connect to, and has numerous "shields" available to plug directly on to it.
Arduino - ArduinoUno

Installing Additional Arduino Libraries, required to enable the various "extras" needed to operate as a DCC decoder including the additions for a stepper motor.
Arduino - Libraries

All the following are likely to available cheaper elsewhere, deliberately chose UK, easier to deal with if a problem occurs, there have been some issues of late with Far Eastern sourced items, could well catch the unwary out and lead to a great deal of frustration, plus it's also Chinese New Year, so most despatch dates will now not occur till around the 15th of Feb.

Use this as the search parameter in eBay, ARDUINO-UNO-R3-ATmega328P-ATmega16U2-Development-Board-with-USB-Cable-UK

This one selected at random:
For ARDUINO UNO R3 ATmega328P ATmega16U2 Development Board with USB Cable UK 696227836944 | eBay

Optional extras, useful for trying various ideas and "sketches" ""programs"" out, and to prove that they work!

Use this as the search parameter in eBay, Arduino UNO Proto Prototype Shield 170pts Breadboard

This one selected at random:
Arduino UNO Proto Prototype Shield + 170pts Breadboard AA032 8969845243077 | eBay

If you would like to explore further, using either a **self built Arduino DCC Interface Shield, or buy an off the shelf DCC Interface Shield, one of these will prove to be useful:

Prototyping Proto Screw Shield Expansion Board for Arduino UNO R3

Prototyping Proto Screw Shield Expansion Board for Arduino UNO R3 | eBay

**Details of these will provided in due course, for the present using the Getting Started and up and running with the Arduino IDE, is the first step towards a new world of adventures................

Last edited:
Gizzy

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Slow progress, but progress all the same.

I built up the 'Machine House' that will cover the turntable motor and decoder pcb....

115069_6fe2d486c75677d87148e4c68a03ed35.jpg

Reactions: mike
Gizzy

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
I also had to cut a recess on the side for where the machine house sits on the turntable itself. You can see the modified base plate on this photo....

115083_59d757996d5d2d580ac945a16d7224cc.jpg

Last edited:
Gizzy

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
The Machine House in place, covering the motor and decoder....

115429_b4f7c9cd8eae0ab03d588371b9cebccd.jpg

Reactions: trammayo and mike
mike

mike

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.lazygrangebay.co.uk
All good stuff!

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Was there a door supplied with the Maschinenhaus, Giz? If not, might be a good idea to make one as the turntable is going to live outside.....

Jon.

Gizzy

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Was there a door supplied with the Maschinenhaus, Giz? If not, might be a good idea to make one as the turntable is going to live outside.....

Jon.
Yes Jon, there is!

Hanging the door is the next job, after I've painted it?

I'm thinking of using rail clamps when I install the turntable in place, so I can bring it indoors if there is any inclement weather, even though the turntable is suitable for outdoors use....

Last edited:
Gizzy

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
I've not made a lot of progress with the turntable, due to having pneumonia, but some unseasonably warm weather at the end of February got me out into the garden at long last.

I laid a circular slab for the base. It had a 'riven' surface but the underside is smooth, so this slab is upside-down....

117665_a927f54c9382c4a86d38fccc63076781.jpg

Last edited:
Gizzy

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Here's how it will look when in place. I need to find the best position for the entry road, and I may need to move the nearby crossover further to the left....

117667_5d09539d6696b5c75e0c2dbcfba93038.jpg

Gizzy

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
On this photo, I've moved the entry road one position clockwise. These sections just 'plug in' place as required....

117669_bc68b28f506a3353d40e54849a918127.jpg

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Personally, I think the way the entry-roads clip-in, is the clever bit.. :nerd::wondering::nod::nod:

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Registered
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
That's a turnout for the books...
Okay, time to switch off...