Turning Circle Problems

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Afternoon, i currently run a layout using MTS. In this layout there are two turning circles using the LGB gubbings consisting of, 2x 1015T and 55080. One of the 55080's keeps clicking constantly, quite loud, though it still works. What may be causing the clicking, and can it be rectified? Moisture perhaps....?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I believe it may be a relay inside the unit, which is the bit of kit that switches over the polarity.

It may be about to fail, but if it still works for now, I'd live with it until it conks out for good.

Note that the 55080 was replaced by the 55081. The 55081 had issues and was itself replaced by the 55085 after a year.

So you may not be able to replace 'like for like'....

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
You should hear a single click (audible, but not very loud) from the 55080 module each time a train runs over the 1015T track break, that is the relay in the unit switching the track polarity as it detects the momentary short; if it's clicking constantly, then it sounds like there is either a fault in the module or a wiring problem somewhere in the track; are you certain that nothing is shorting across one of the 1015T isolator tracks?

If you do have to replace one of your reversing loop modules, better to buy a Massoth one (I'm sure Muns on here could help you there) - I think they are still cheaper as well as better than the LGB version!

Jon.

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Gents. I shall investigate a little further this aft, but i cant think of any visible defects that would cause a short. Maybe it is just knackered.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
sharpcreative said:
Having recently purchased and installed 2 of the 55081s [as I couldn't get the superseded 55080s], I am a bit concerned by this quote. What were the 'issues' with the 55081 you refer to?
I only use the 55081 in its short circuit mode [ie exactly like the 55080]. I saw the 55085 advertised in the LGB 2014 new items brochure, but there was not a clear description of how it differed from the earlier versions. It did say that it replaced the short circuit mode. However, while I would have liked to use the non-short circuit mode in the 55081, the need to add the extra short lengths of track and extra wiring, to accommodate this, made it impractical. Does anyone know how the 55085 is used in this regard? ie does it still retain the short circuit option and/or does its non-short circuit option still require the extra track sections - a la 55081?
Also, what are the Massoth equivalents and do they require the extra track pieces?

I found this information as quoted;

MTS Reverse Loop Module (New) (MZS-Kehrschleifenmodul)

New reverse loop module for the new digital LGB system world. You can switch the reverse loop on your digital layout automatically and free of short circuits. You will protect your digital layout and the rolling stock in the process. One more advantage of the reverse loop module: Several reverse loops can be used simultaneously on the layout. Reverse loop modules in use up to now cause a short circuit when the train enters the reverse loop and force the polarity of the track to switch by causing a break in the voltage, example: 55080. This new MTS reverse loop module by comparison switches free of short circuits; and interruption of the voltage in the track is avoided. The overloading of the MTS central unit by the intentionally caused short circuit is thereby a thing of the past. This protects above all track components such as locomotive decoders, turnout decoders, and the electronics customarily installed in locomotives and cars.
This module is compatible with the previous components.

Notes:
Due to technical changes, the previous MTS reverse unit model (LGB 55081) is being discontinued and replaced by the new 55085 version. This new module is suitable to a limited extent for analog operation. This product is not weatherproof and must be protected from moisture. 80 x 70 x 20 mm / 3-1/8" x 2-3/4" x 3/4". New 2014 - due Q3

On the Glendale Site here....

http://www.glendalejunction.co.uk/LGBPower.html

It is also on the Dragon website here....

http://www.dragon-gscale.co.uk/lgb-55085-mts-reverse-loop-module-new-item-scheduled-release-august-2014-5680-p.asp

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The 55085 is now due for delivery in 2015, as are the new 55524 & 55525 switch decoders.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
sharpcreative said:
Having recently purchased and installed 2 of the 55081s [as I couldn't get the superseded 55080s], I am a bit concerned by this quote. What were the 'issues' with the 55081 you refer to?
I only use the 55081 in its short circuit mode [ie exactly like the 55080]. I saw the 55085 advertised in the LGB 2014 new items brochure, but there was not a clear description of how it differed from the earlier versions. It did say that it replaced the short circuit mode. However, while I would have liked to use the non-short circuit mode in the 55081, the need to add the extra short lengths of track and extra wiring, to accommodate this, made it impractical. Does anyone know how the 55085 is used in this regard? ie does it still retain the short circuit option and/or does its non-short circuit option still require the extra track sections - a la 55081?
Also, what are the Massoth equivalents and do they require the extra track pieces?

Sorry, I missed this.

The Massoth unit works in the same way as the 55081 unit, with or without the short detection track sections. I have no idea what the issues are with the '81.

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Oddly I had a similar clicking issue recently with only one of my Massoth reverse loop modules (got two reverse loops). As the train approached it would click like crazy way before the train got to the detection track.

I traced it to a very iffy couple of track joints between main power feed to the track and the detection track section, so as others have said, definitely worth checking those track joins.

When I found the offensive joint you could even replicate the clicking effect by wiggling the track joint. Couple of rail-clamps soon had it sorted.