Turn Radius

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
Sorry. I meant to say we were looking for best practice for the largest commonly available locos and rolling stock. We certainly don't want to be restricted down the road for something we could have easily addressed up front. At this point our biggest loco is our new-to-us Aristocraft GE U25B . We'll be adding a couple of USA Trains GP9s next probably.
Although an Aristocraft GE U25B will operate on R1 track, because of the unique motor block mountings, it will sweep everything near the inside of the curve away or derail if it tries to move a solidly mounted object. I shortened my U25B about 4" to correct the problem. I am restricted to an indoor layout therefore R1 and R2 curves.

Use at least 8 foot diameter curves if you possibly can to future-proof your layout.

Just my opinion, it's worth what it cost you ---Hutch

Reactions: 1 user

3Bird

Registered
11 Dec 2019
Maine, USA
Best answers
So the temperature is plummeting from a high of 54 F yesterday to 15 F tonight. I just got in, and I forgot to measure the space. I'm not going back out now because it's only 15 minutes until I can open a beer. ;-) Tomorrow...

Thanks all for the great info so far!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
as an aside, the U25B has an unusual, and sometimes troublesome setup for the pivoting of the truck, unlike any other Aristo loco.

Some information here:

Greg

Tim

Registered
19 Apr 2010
Oban
Best answers
Country flag
I think all the best advice has already been given but just fro info Aristocraft used to recommend a minimum of 8 feet radius for their larger locos.
Having a large radius in a corner loses a lot of space outside the curve, but how about having a couple of short kick back spurs to hold the odd loco or two in that corner.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I find it was omteresting that my SD45's by Aristocraft needed 8 foot diameter to run, but I found they will run on a 4 foot diameter (LGB R1) curve but the coupler hangs outside the outer rail and can not have cars connected. So, I built a tow bar and can now test these under a load on my indoor RR with all R1 LGB curves with the tow bar.

3Bird

Registered
11 Dec 2019
Maine, USA
Best answers
So I finally got into the barn to measure! It looks like I may be rethinking this space. It's only about 12' x 5', which feels too small to make usable as anything close to a yard.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
if one calculates a bit of overhang of locos and roling stock, 5 x 5 foot is just enough for a nice R1 circle.
with the avayable space it might be better, to build a dead-end station.
(or investigate, if there is a possibility to make a second tunnel through the shed wall. so, that the curves all can be outside the shed)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
So I finally got into the barn to measure! It looks like I may be rethinking this space. It's only about 12' x 5', which feels too small to make usable as anything close to a yard.
Do not agree, with perhaps some smaller rad points perhaps LGB R3 or TrainLine 45 R2 would make a modest yard of between 4-5 tracks On a 2’6” wide baseboard. At the very least it would provide a good place to store coaches and wagons only between operating sessions. Look at my build of my low level yard (New Railway link below) to see what can be fitted in. Page 4 Post 74 refers but also my Tin Shed (4ft x 10ft around page 9 posts #163) in more recent posts which is around the narrower and certainly not that length.

Last edited:

3Bird

Registered
11 Dec 2019
Maine, USA
Best answers
Do not agree, with perhaps some smaller rad points perhaps LGB R3 or TrainLine 45 R2 would make a modest yard of between 4-5 tracks On a 2’6” wide baseboard. At the very least it would provide a good place to store coaches and wagons only between operating sessions. Look at my build of my low level yard (New Railway link below) to see what can be fitted in. Page 4 Post 74 refers but also my Tin Shed (4ft x 10ft around page 9 posts #163) in more recent posts which is around the narrower and certainly not that length.

Thanks! Do you have a track diagram for the Low Level Fiddle Yard in the Shed?

3Bird

Registered
11 Dec 2019
Maine, USA
Best answers
With an 8' radius, it seems like this is the best I can do:

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 2.53.52 PM.png

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Will it help if you add another curve before the turnout, and aim for the bottom right hand corner (in the diagram)? :nerd:

3Bird

Registered
11 Dec 2019
Maine, USA
Best answers
Will it help if you add another curve before the turnout, and aim for the bottom right hand corner (in the diagram)? :nerd:
The people door to enter the room is between the 3' and 5' mark on that wall. I could, of course, make a section of track that opens there. I've seen where other folks have done that.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks! Do you have a track diagram for the Low Level Fiddle Yard in the Shed?
Here are my 2 plans, sorry about the writing. Penultimate now seams to have changed for the worst and the page flops all over the place when trying to do any writing or drawing. I think it is now expecting an Apple Pen rather than a short fat digit.

The top plan is in my 20ft Shed, the bottom one in the Tin Shed. Note in the narrower shed I have managed 3 tracks and a storage area on the right if you look at the pics again, is a little tight to get access but then I am built somewhat slight.
135B3496-72D4-4ADB-A01F-6A94432BF529.jpeg
Regarding your plan I think that you need to decide what you want to use it for.
1 Do you want it as a scenic Depot?
2 Is it to be just a storage siding?
If 1 then there is perhaps not much more that you can do, though a kick back from the right hand siding will give you mire space. If 2 then perhaps reduce the Radius somewhat perhaps LGB R3 would help out a lot. You could also get another kick back in if the first point was an LGB Double Slip.

Oh and I think you are confusing Radius with Diameter. That curve is 4ft RADIUS in your plan.

Hope my waffle helps.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The people door to enter the room is between the 3' and 5' mark on that wall. I could, of course, make a section of track that opens there. I've seen where other folks have done that.
People ? o_O

I thought it was for trains :D:D

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
It's only about 12' x 5'

Is this is the area available for trackwork, rather than the actual dimensions of the "room"? If so (and I'm not clear where the "people door" is), wouldn't something like this work better?

1579617103996.png
(Drawn in AnyRail using only LGB R3 points and curves, on a 300mm grid).

Of course, you don't waste as much of the "12 foot" if you have more space to play with (above my grid) for the approach track.

Sorry if I've misunderstood the constraints.

All the best

David

3Bird

Registered
11 Dec 2019
Maine, USA
Best answers
Hmm.... looks like you've used R1 turnouts. Kind of defeats the use of larger radius curves.

My intent was not to defeat the use of the 8' radius curves. I'm a noob, and I didn't understand there was another option. I'll have a look. Thanks.

3Bird

Registered
11 Dec 2019
Maine, USA
Best answers
Here are my 2 plans, sorry about the writing. Penultimate now seams to have changed for the worst and the page flops all over the place when trying to do any writing or drawing. I think it is now expecting an Apple Pen rather than a short fat digit.

The top plan is in my 20ft Shed, the bottom one in the Tin Shed. Note in the narrower shed I have managed 3 tracks and a storage area on the right if you look at the pics again, is a little tight to get access but then I am built somewhat slight.
View attachment 260827
Regarding your plan I think that you need to decide what you want to use it for.
1 Do you want it as a scenic Depot?
2 Is it to be just a storage siding?
If 1 then there is perhaps not much more that you can do, though a kick back from the right hand siding will give you mire space. If 2 then perhaps reduce the Radius somewhat perhaps LGB R3 would help out a lot. You could also get another kick back in if the first point was an LGB Double Slip.

Oh and I think you are confusing Radius with Diameter. That curve is 4ft RADIUS in your plan.

Hope my waffle helps.
Again, thanks for the great info. I feel like I learn so much from every comment! If I had to choose, I'd say this area is primarily storage, but we'd like it to be somewhat pleasing to the eye, as well as functional. I am confusing 4ft radius and diameter. My diagram above was based off a 8' diameter curve. A need to read up on what a "double slip" is. :) Thanks again!

3Bird

Registered
11 Dec 2019
Maine, USA
Best answers
Is this is the area available for trackwork, rather than the actual dimensions of the "room"? If so (and I'm not clear where the "people door" is), wouldn't something like this work better?

View attachment 260836
(Drawn in AnyRail using only LGB R3 points and curves, on a 300mm grid).

Of course, you don't waste as much of the "12 foot" if you have more space to play with (above my grid) for the approach track.

Sorry if I've misunderstood the constraints.

All the best

David

Thanks!

The room size is ~12'x5'.

R3 is just shy of 8' diameter, correct?

The "people door" is on the short wall at the bottom of the diagram. It can go anywhere, but I was planning to have it at the bottom right, so I could have that 8' diameter curve come in and make it to the far wall. With your diagram, it would be challenging to get to the open area on the top left. I'm not sure if that makes sense.

Do you like AnyRail?