TSU 4400 to Bachmann Climax wiring connection board?

johnsteele

Registered
8 Oct 2020
iowa
Best answers
Hello, I am wiring TSU 4400 to wiring connection board in a Bachmann Climax. All runs well except lights (I do not care about smoke) I have light wires from connection board to correct TSU pins. However, I am unsure which other Bachmann climax wiring connections should go to which TSU functions and if there is a function ground on the Bachmann wiring harness hat should go to the TSU 4400 (which may be why lights do not work?). It also may be I have not found the correct function CV for the lights?

I did a search and can not find a diagram or description of the wiring from the Bachmann connection board to a TSU 4400.. Can someone who has done this help me out? Thank you. John

johnsteele

Registered
8 Oct 2020
iowa
Best answers
Hello, I believe I have the socket (I think it is the "newer" version) , mine has a removable DC board with 21 pin (I think) replacement board with wires to run to a decoder. The wires on the Bachmann supplied connection board are clearly labeled with regard to motor, rail, and then some are unclear (e.g. function 1, function 2, B+ etc.). Thank you, John

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag

johnsteele

Registered
8 Oct 2020
iowa
Best answers
Thanks, the climax comes with a nice prewired 21 pin plug with wires that do fit the screw terminals on the TSU 4400. Most of the prewired pins have a label that is understandable, others not so much (like what is B+). Thanks, John

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I have the Climax wiring diagram. If I can figure out how to attach it.

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram.pdf
    427.2 KB · Views: 0

johnsteele

Registered
8 Oct 2020
iowa
Best answers
I have the Climax wiring diagram. If I can figure out how to attach it.
Thank you, This is very helpful. For those who pick up this thread, there is also a good YouTube video on a Bachmann G scale climax with TSU 4400 wired to the Bachmann wiring connection board. Thank you Jose Hernandez. I am still doing something wrong (I think I need to connect the wiring board B+ to TSU0044 v+, locomotive positive.). Once it runs with the decoder, it is on to install the battery.....

johnsteele

Registered
8 Oct 2020
iowa
Best answers
Hello, I could not find this diagram on the Bachmann website but the same diagram is included with the locomotive materials. It is also found in another post on this website but I can not recall the link. The "wiring connection board" shown on the diagram comes packaged as an accessory and replaces a 21 pin DC Board so one can easily attach a decoder. At one time, there was a plug and play dcc sound board both by Bachmann (and maybe soundtraxx) that fit. The major problem is that Bachmann does not describe the labels on their board in any literature (what is B+, what is function 1).
I appreciate the help!
John

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Johnsteele:
Forgive some basic questions, no offence is meant, just trying to understand..

I Believe B+ is the positive from a battery supply for the locomotive. - More on batteries later.
Function 1, F1, Aux.1, A1 are all terms used for the accessory function output controlled by the 'number 1' key on a DCC throttle (handset).
These outputs (some can be configured as inputs, as well) are used to control accessories, such as lights, smoke-units, uncouplers, external devices..
These are in addition to any dedicated outputs for front/rear lights.

You said you were intending to fit batteries later: - What system are you intending to use to control the loco? You have not told us.

Thanks,
PhilP.

johnsteele

Registered
8 Oct 2020
iowa
Best answers
Hello, thank you. I will describe all later as I must run.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Pretty confusing, for example there are TWO "con8" one a DC input and the other to the optical chuff trigger board..

I think that you will need more of an overall circuit diagram, or will have to see if the 6v DC input is powered when you power the 18v DC input... as I remember you need the 6v side to be powered to power the transistors that are the "switches" for the chuff and headlight logic (note the switching transistors for the same, "Qx"

There is most likely a 5v regulator somewhere that feeds from track voltage and regulates to 5v and powers the transistor switches... I just do not see it in this drawing easily.

Love to have a full schematic, but simply applying the 18v input and then testing the 5v part to see if it is powered should be fine.

Greg

p.s. as Phil said, tell us the rest of the story, what is the interface between your DCC decoder and your r/c system?

Last edited:

johnsteele

Registered
8 Oct 2020
iowa
Best answers
Hello, back at the trains after the weekend. The wiring diagram provided by Jose Hernandez on you tube works great. Thank you! r Here are the connections from a TSU 4400 to the Bachmann. wiring connection board
Bachmann wiring connection board to TSU4400
J1-J12 side
BACHMANN LABEL...…..................…….TSU 4400 LABEL
j1 R (red wire).............................................to RR
M+.(light tan)..............................................to M+
R LED (yellow)...........................................to BL
Smoke - ((green) I do not use smoke, see the you tube video)
GND (black).......................................to TSU4400 ground
B+(blue)...............................................to V+
Cuff (purple) ..............................................not used
F LED)white)...............................................to HL
M- (gray).....................................................to M-
L (black).......................................................to LR

J2- J11 side
J2 Aux power.........................................not used
F1 (brown)................................................to TSU 4400 ground
F2 (brown)--------------------------to TSU 4400 ground
F3 (brown)................................................to TSU 4400 ground
F4. (green)................................................to F4
F5 (green).................................................to F5
Train bus + (green)...............................not used
Train bus - ((green) ...............…...…….not used
SP- (purple),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SP-
Reed (purple)..........................................not used
SP+ (purple)...........................................SP+

So far so good, I am making sure all works. Thank you for the posts, see my next post on battereis. John

Last edited:

johnsteele

Registered
8 Oct 2020
iowa
Best answers
Battery power with TSU4400
I am writing this on a separate post so as not to confuse issues. After I fit the TSU4400 into the most compact installation I am installing a Airwire 900 14.8 volt, 3.4 amp battery and Airwire C60X converter. My goal is to run the Climax on hand laid wooden rails on an indoor layout. I am changing the engine to a wood burner to increase the room in the "tender".

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Father, were you able to find this diagram on the bachmann site, if so where? I looked and failed.

Greg
Greg, as John mentioned, it isn't on the website but is included with literature packed with the engine. I simply scanned it. Ken

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you father, very helpful for others here.

On the wiring, I have a few questions. John, I hope you wire this bit by bit.

for example, I don't know what the Bachmann functions 1-3 do, but you are grounding them so they cannot operate?

Is there a table of what they do?

Greg

johnsteele

Registered
8 Oct 2020
iowa
Best answers
Hello, You have hit the problem on the head, I do not know what they do, and there does not seem to be a table from Bachmann. to translate their labels. But these functions must be lights, interior and firebox. When they are not connected, or connected to Functions, they do not work (although I may have CV values wrong) (the front and rear headlight do not work even with the correct connections between the Bachmann and Tsunami unless these wires go to ground). In addition B+ (Bachmann) must be connected to v+ (Tsunami). However, I have not tried changing the lighting effects using the CV's. So maybe I have just grounded these functions to permanent "on" (which is ok with me)

I set the "chug" rate in the sound files so the sensor connectors are not an issue. I am unsure what Aux power is?

I am not an electronics expert, I send my On30 to Litchfield Trains in Phoenix AZ for installations ( a On30 Porter with sound and a current keeper is awesome). So I am afraid that much information beyond I plugged this wire to this wire is beyond me.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
In case you are not aware:
Common for lighting under DCC is Decoder Positive. - When you switch a light 'on' you are connecting the function 'output' to ground/negative.

PhilP.

johnsteele

Registered
8 Oct 2020
iowa
Best answers
Thank you! That clears up a lot. With your help the decoder functions and lighting wiring make much more sense! John

johnsteele

Registered
8 Oct 2020
iowa
Best answers
Hello, I installed an AirWire900 CONVRTR-60 to the TSU4400 in a Bachmann Climax . The directions and pictures are included in the AirWire instructions so I will not reproduce the copywrite material here. The directions are very easy. I'd suggest purchasing or making the suggested charging / spdt wiring harness. Make sure you do not reverse polarity!!!! I fit the entire system (TSU, AIrwire, and battery in the bunker by extending the top with a wood load. I replaced the wooden coal bunker with a wood bunker with space between the boards to aid in cooling. I did not install the fan and I am keeping an eye on the temperature This also lets me see the reflections from the indicator lights to trouble shoot if needed
This is a rather pricey conversion, but it can easily be transferred to a new engine. I hope to save enough in track to make it back. It is great to just lay the track down with minimal connections, put the engine on, and go....