trying to find lights

BEEF BOSS

Registered
24 Sep 2022
Bend OR
Best answers
Country flag
hello everyone, so right now ive been trying to find some lights for my 2 axel passenger coach, what im currently looking for lights that are powered by the locomotive with power pins (no other power suply), lighted by a bulb (preferably screw in bulb), and that they need to match the aesthetic of the coach (so no LED light bars, or anything that shows any circuitry).

thanks!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I will make the following assumptions:
Track power is DC.
You have LGB loco's, with either the older round-pin outlets, or the newer square ones.

For screw-in bulbs, you will find that you need 19-24V bulbs. - The LGB outputs are track power.

For the holders, search for 1:24 dolls House lighting. - You can sometimes get away with 1:12,but they are quite large.

You will probably have to get the bulbs from a different source.

Other alternatives, are the various manufacturers options for pickup from the track via the coach wheels. - You can do this on just one coach, and link the others to it.

PhilP.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Track power is DC.
You have LGB loco's, with either the older round-pin outlets, or the newer square ones.

For screw-in bulbs, you will find that you need 19-24V bulbs. - The LGB outputs are track power.

For the holders, search for 1:24 dolls House lighting. - You can sometimes get away with 1:12,but they are quite large.

Other alternatives, are the various manufacturers options for pickup from the track via the coach wheels. - You can do this on just one coach, and link the others to it.

PhilP.
However the twin power pins are normally only 5v output!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
If using a 5v supply, try searching for 5v grain of wheat bulbs - some while ago I bought a pack of 10 (I think) for a very reasonable sum.

If you were in the UK, I could send you some.

BEEF BOSS

Registered
24 Sep 2022
Bend OR
Best answers
Country flag
Track power is DC.

PhilP.
Thanks, but when I look up 1:24 doll house lighting nothing that shows up that would work in a coach, are there any other places to look for the brackets?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, but when I look up 1:24 doll house lighting nothing that shows up that would work in a coach, are there any other places to look for the brackets?
What sort of fitting are you looking for?
Do you want a bracket wall light?
Table lamps?
Central ceiling lamp?

PhilP

BEEF BOSS

Registered
24 Sep 2022
Bend OR
Best answers
Country flag
What sort of fitting are you looking for?
Do you want a bracket wall light?
Table lamps?
Central ceiling lamp?

PhilP
Central ceiling lamp

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I use LED "tape" and stick it up on the inside of a coach roof. Cannot be seen from outside.

Stock bulbs in stock lighting:
hw_stock_lights.jpg

LED Tape, on underside of center of roof:
hw_leds.jpg

Self-adhesive tape, I run constant track power, so nothing else required, a few other things required if you run track power, like a boost converter, under $2

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Central ceiling lamp
If you are using the two pin supply from the loco, and if that is, as Jimmy states, 5v, then the 5v grain of whet bulbs are your answer but ................

These come pre-wired and don't have a screw-in, or plug-in fitting.

However, it is quite simple to make a fixing for them using a piece of plastic tube of appropriate diameter and sliding them in from the back end.

If your two pin supply is of a higher voltage, I'm not being very much help.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
However the twin power pins are normally only 5v output!
The pins on the rear of all LGB engines (2 single pins or 2 pin connector) are track power. I have worked with over 100 different LGB engines and have never found 5 volts on the rear engine connectors. Same for the European postal car!!

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The pins on the rear of all LGB engines (2 single pins or 2 pin connector) are track power. I have worked with over 100 different LGB engines and have never found 5 volts on the rear engine connectors. Same for the European postal car!!
Sorry but my LGB HK Porter was definitely 5 volts, from 2 single pins, along with the 5 volt smoke unit.