Trouble with ESC

Captain Flack

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Devon
Best answers
Country flag
I have just purchased a Fosworks Omni 3.1 Tx and two rxs. One for steam and one for battery. I have got the servos on the steam to work but cannot, and I mean I have tried everything i can think of, to get the esc to 1. run consistently and 2. to run in both directions. The instructions seem to concentrate on servo operation and not esc, but the rx output is marked as ESC.
i am running a Viper ESC which seems to be OK with my last set up.
Can someone either post the instructions or point me in the direction of where to find them.? I have searched the net but can't seem to find what i am looking for.
i am sure I'm doing something wrong but just can't work out what that is.
Thank you.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
1. Are you trying to run 'low-off' or 'centre-off' for the loco with esc? - I think you will find your transmitter/receiver are configured for 'low-off'.
2. Most ESC's need 'arming'. - This means the ESC must see a 'zero-speed' signal for a couple of seconds BEFORE it will let you control speed.
Try starting with the 'speed' turned fully-anticlockwise.

You may need to tweak things so that, for this loco, you are using 'centre-off'?

Steve at Fosworks will sort you out, though.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have just purchased a Fosworks Omni 3.1 Tx and two rxs. One for steam and one for battery. I have got the servos on the steam to work but cannot, and I mean I have tried everything i can think of, to get the esc to 1. run consistently and 2. to run in both directions. The instructions seem to concentrate on servo operation and not esc, but the rx output is marked as ESC.
i am running a Viper ESC which seems to be OK with my last set up.
Can someone either post the instructions or point me in the direction of where to find them.? I have searched the net but can't seem to find what i am looking for.
i am sure I'm doing something wrong but just can't work out what that is.
Thank you.
Not sure if you have seen it but this link has varying Vids on how to do what you need, possibly need to look at 2 of them.

Captain Flack

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your replies. The links didn't make any more sense to than the instructions :) :) :)
I spoke to steve Foster this morning who immediately diagnosed the problem as a duff esc. Changed the unit and hey presto............brilliant. can't recommend Fosworks enough.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your replies. The links didn't make any more sense to than the instructions :) :) :)
I spoke to steve Foster this morning who immediately diagnosed the problem as a duff esc. Changed the unit and hey presto............brilliant. can't recommend Fosworks enough.
Always a tough call, was it me or a faulty part. Glad Steve sorted things for you, I agree wholeheartedly with your recomendation.