Trams: Is There Much Tramway Interest On Here??

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
The trams were a bit different in Melbourne 25 years ago...............

View attachment 230710 View attachment 230711

The W class cars were all crew operated (driver + conductor). There were qute a few modern one-man cars around as well though.
Does the "heritage" city circular service (30?) still operate with the older cars. By the time I got there again in 2003 & 2004, that was the only service operating the old ones.
Yes, the heritage trains are still running - W Class - they run on what is known as the City Circle, and are free to travel on. There is also a fleet of about 6 W Class Restaurant Trams which are very popular.
Is is also now free to ride the normal trams within the Central business District, something that should have been introduced many years ago as rarely did anyone 'touch on' when they got on a tram in the city.
Here's one at the Danish Tram Museum, which we visited earlier this year. This is the tram the Australian Government gave to Princess Mary (from Tasmania) on the occasion of her marriage to Prince Frederick.
Holiday UK 2017 (2) 067.JPG
And in breaking news 'As she celebrates one final Christmas in Australia, Princess Mary will be preparing to ring in the New Year as the queen of Denmark. This is set to be revealed in dramatic style during Queen Margrethe’s traditional New Year’s speech, with royal insiders predicting the 77-year-old monarch will announce her abdication.' You heard it here first !
Unless it is fake news.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, the heritage trains are still running - W Class - they run on what is known as the City Circle, and are free to travel on. There is also a fleet of about 6 W Class Restaurant Trams which are very popular.
Is is also now free to ride the normal trams within the Central business District, something that should have been introduced many years ago as rarely did anyone 'touch on' when they got on a tram in the city.
Here's one at the Danish Tram Museum, which we visited earlier this year. This is the tram the Australian Government gave to Princess Mary (from Tasmania) on the occasion of her marriage to Prince Frederick.
View attachment 231158
And in breaking news 'As she celebrates one final Christmas in Australia, Princess Mary will be preparing to ring in the New Year as the queen of Denmark. This is set to be revealed in dramatic style during Queen Margrethe’s traditional New Year’s speech, with royal insiders predicting the 77-year-old monarch will announce her abdication.' You heard it here first !
Unless it is fake news.

I was amused to see in the latest edition of Tramways & Urban Transit that there are about 200 W class cars stored at Newport Railway Workshops for possible future use..............

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
I was amused to see in the latest edition of Tramways & Urban Transit that there are about 200 W class cars stored at Newport Railway Workshops for possible future use..............
Yes, we here in Melbourne did not like to get rid of our trams - like many, or most, cities worldwide - and we still like to 'not get rid of them'. They might come in handy one day !

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps Malcolme has bought them all, with the Capers he has been running he would probably not be short of a few quid to do so.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
And now for something completely different. Taken in Berlin from the giant tall Tower that can be seen from pretty wll everywhere in the Town. Looking like T Gauge Models.image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Plus a couple of Stree Views.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
Summer 2017. Santa Claus tried his new toy. A christmas tram.
I've got this video sequences after christmas. So I edited it. It shows the two christmas trams from LGB. Both from Ebay. At a friends garden layout I made some test rides. My friend filmed it with an old mobile phone.
Ok to late for x-mas greetings. but I think it is a nice movie.

A happy new year to all, from Wuppertal Germany - Peter
(I don't know, why the sound is not there.)

Reactions: 5 users

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I was trawling through an item ont' 'tinternet showing photographs of various holiday destinations in the 1950's, when I cam across this photo taken in 1955 of a tram in Rio De Janero. You have to wonder if the passengers needed nerves of steel as well as a grip like steel.

BBHO1bx.jpg

David

Reactions: 3 users

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Almost as good as the Yale Bowl ones in New Haven.......

yale.png

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I was trawling through an item ont' 'tinternet showing photographs of various holiday destinations in the 1950's, when I cam across this photo taken in 1955 of a tram in Rio De Janero. You have to wonder if the passengers needed nerves of steel as well as a grip like steel.

View attachment 231856

David
Aren't they helping lean the tram into the bend? You'll probably find they all rush to the other side to go round the anticlockwise corner:giggle::giggle:

Reactions: 1 users

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
With my apologies for the seven weeks that have elapsed . . .

David1226's "Pic of the Day" on 3rd December was of this semi-scratch-built tram . . .

upload_2018-1-26_14-14-57.png

. . . with the caption "Scratch built/kit bashed tram on the Whiteleaf Tramway layout at the G Scale Society Solent Local Area Group Exhibition, Wickham, Hampshire, 4.11.2017. The tram body is assembled from sections of no less than four LGB Toytrain 4-wheel coaches" and which prompted one forum member to ask for "Details/recipe/how to do it article please!!!"

The owner of this tram doesn't "do" G Scale Central, but he has given me permission to share with you a photograph of the tram midway through the build, from which any of you that are familiar with the ToyTrain coach should be able to work out where the cuts were made, and how the resulting sections have been reassembled . . .

upload_2018-1-26_14-13-15.png

The owner's own caption for the in-construction picture is "A typical 1910 motor car as used on Austro-Hungarian lokalbahn, constructed from three LGB toytrain coaches with scratch built motor bogies, fitted with decoder, lights and sound".

I hope that you will find this interesting.

Best wishes

David

Reactions: 7 users

mcbearuk

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
8 Aug 2015
Scotland
Best answers
I think it was me who asked for the recipe. Thanks for showing how this lovely car was put together. I have spent a happy 15 minutes working out how to do the saloons and the sides of the vestibules were put together, but I am stumped by the car ends and the three windows - can your friend give us a hint about the end?

Thanks

Scott

With my apologies for the seven weeks that have elapsed . . .

David1226's "Pic of the Day" on 3rd December was of this semi-scratch-built tram . . .

View attachment 232464

. . . with the caption "Scratch built/kit bashed tram on the Whiteleaf Tramway layout at the G Scale Society Solent Local Area Group Exhibition, Wickham, Hampshire, 4.11.2017. The tram body is assembled from sections of no less than four LGB Toytrain 4-wheel coaches" and which prompted one forum member to ask for "Details/recipe/how to do it article please!!!"

The owner of this tram doesn't "do" G Scale Central, but he has given me permission to share with you a photograph of the tram midway through the build, from which any of you that are familiar with the ToyTrain coach should be able to work out where the cuts were made, and how the resulting sections have been reassembled . . .

View attachment 232463

The owner's own caption for the in-construction picture is "A typical 1910 motor car as used on Austro-Hungarian lokalbahn, constructed from three LGB toytrain coaches with scratch built motor bogies, fitted with decoder, lights and sound".

I hope that you will find this interesting.

Best wishes

David

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
1/24th G Scale 1901 Berlin tram, built from a kit by OcRre. Part of Keith Lambert's display of heritage trams at the G Scale Society Solent Local Area Group biannual exhibition at Wickham, Hampshire, 4.11.2017.

dig 171104012[1].JPG

David

Reactions: 3 users

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
A new Hartland Interurban unit being offered for sale on a trade stand at G-Rail, Stafford, 14.5.2017

dig 170514096[1].JPG

David

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I think it was me who asked for the recipe. Thanks for showing how this lovely car was put together. I have spent a happy 15 minutes working out how to do the saloons and the sides of the vestibules were put together, but I am stumped by the car ends and the three windows - can your friend give us a hint about the end?

Thanks

Scott

Descriptions of this nature can add to the confusion, rather than make things simpler, but here goes!

The verandah ends (window/door/window) of the two blue ToyTrain coaches used for the saloon body are removed (and eventually replaced by white plasticard internal partitions), but the non-verandah ends (central window) are left attached to the sides/floor.

The inner ends of the finished model are based on the still-attached non-veranda ends of the ToyTrain coaches, with the door from the verandah end let in, in place of the window (so, are blue).

The outer ends consist of the small windows from the verandah end, and a centre window based on the narrowed window removed from the non-verandah end (so, all blue again) . . . with two narrowed side windows from the third (green) coach forming the “side wings”.

I would say "it's as simple as that!" but it obviously needs a lot of very careful cutting. Remember, this isn't mine, I'm just relaying information from the owner of the railcar.

Best wishes

David

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Descriptions of this nature can add to the confusion, rather than make things simpler, but here goes!

The verandah ends (window/door/window) of the two blue ToyTrain coaches used for the saloon body are removed (and eventually replaced by white plasticard internal partitions), but the non-verandah ends (central window) are left attached to the sides/floor.

The inner ends of the finished model are based on the still-attached non-veranda ends of the ToyTrain coaches, with the door from the verandah end let in, in place of the window (so, are blue).

The outer ends consist of the small windows from the verandah end, and a centre window based on the narrowed window removed from the non-verandah end (so, all blue again) . . . with two narrowed side windows from the third (green) coach forming the “side wings”.

I would say "it's as simple as that!" but it obviously needs a lot of very careful cutting. Remember, this isn't mine, I'm just relaying information from the owner of the railcar.

Best wishes

David
Probably an awful lot harder than it sounds!

tramwayknowledge

Tramway Modelling
22 Oct 2011
Fife
Best answers
Country flag
Probably an awful lot harder than it sounds!

Best wishes

David
Thanks, it only took two readings of your post for it to sink into my old brain...... the only problem now is to find three of these coach bodies at a sensible price, most of the ones available you-know-where are on for silly money!

Scott