Traction

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
This morning damp rails etc caused some traction issues with my Otto on some of the gradients when pulling a load. As most of you will know this loco does not come with a traction tyre (pros and cons of traction tyres). However as an 0 Gauge modeller, most locos use to be kits, and additional weight was recommended to get good traction. So having some lead shot I added (in a bag externally) 400 grams of extra weight.
So the discussion is, is there an optimum weight for various loco configurations, is using additional weight for traction a good thing, and what are the down side of the extra weight!!
P.S. can we wait ten post untill we drift :)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The 'Otto' is a very small engine, and quite a lightweight..
I personally would not add more than 25-33% of original weight to a loco. How many (of what) did your train consist of?

Trying to drag stuff uphill, especially if curves are also involved, is a little unfair on a small engine.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
All good questions. I don't have any definitive answers but here are a few observations.
With real railways weight is not a problem, rather trying to spread it across more wheels. Their answer is to increase the friction with sand etc, the model form of that would be traction tyres/tires.
Increasing weight in the loco reduces the weight it can pull.
The weight you add will need to vary with load pulled.
So no easy answers.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
How did your experiment with 400g extra weight work out, Jimmy?

As far as I'm aware, the only downside of adding too much weight is the potential for increased wear on the motor and gearbox - and given that the Otto mechanisms and motors are not QUITE as sturdy as the "standard" LGB power unit with a Buhler motor (though they are still pretty good), this could be a problem some way down the line (so to speak).

Jon.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, some people worry about gearbox strain, but if the wheels cans till slip, then you haven't reached that point. In any case, more damage is done to a gearbox through stop / start (including dodgy track continuity) than overloading.

Personally, I'd only start to worry about the wear on the axle bearings, and you're going to have to run trains in extreme 'Duffy' mode to get to that point.

If your track starts to look like this, then it's time to start worrying :nod::nod::nod::nod:

1538229949098.png

Reactions: 2 users

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP I had three two axle coaches, fine on the flat, just slips on the gradient, however the coaches are not as free-running as they could be, I need some metal wheels for them and at £20.00 plus per coach not cheap. The loco (without extra weight) is 1.725 kg, so the extra 0.4 kg is less than 25%, and it cuts down slip, but not 100% possibly around 90%, so the wheels can still slip if needed.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
One rule of thumb I have operated by, is actually looking at the scale weight of the loco.

divide the prototype weight by the cube of the scale. You would be surprised how well this works... I use it for rolling stock also, but in the unloaded state.

Greg

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
my otto is weighted up to 2.3 kilograms. the stainzes and motorized tenders between 2.4 and 2.5.
this is the result of a lot of trial and error tests.

the trains run with about 12 Volts up a 6% (1 in 16.66) grade with 6 standard one-foot LGB-cars. (12 axles total) plastic wheels.

so, if your grade is similar to mine, i would say you can't expect more from your otto.

edit: my slip test: under power i hold the loco by the rear coupler, if it doesn't slip, i take away some weight.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
edit: my slip test: under power i hold the loco by the rear coupler, if it doesn't slip, i take away some weight.

This is the most important part..
The loco MUST still slip.. If it doesn't, there is a chance of stripped-gears, or burnt-out motor(s) / electronics..

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Korm, great piece of advice, it would seem your Otto is slightly heavery (2.3 kg) than my AUM at 2.125 kg, but it would seem I am not far out. I will confirm the slip, and then look at permanently adding the weight. It would seem my Bachmann Mogul will be next :)

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, some people worry about gearbox strain, but if the wheels cans till slip, then you haven't reached that point. In any case, more damage is done to a gearbox through stop / start (including dodgy track continuity) than overloading.

Personally, I'd only start to worry about the wear on the axle bearings, and you're going to have to run trains in extreme 'Duffy' mode to get to that point.

If your track starts to look like this, then it's time to start worrying :nod::nod::nod::nod:

View attachment 243837
What on earth?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
What on earth?

I've seen that photo several times before, and assuming it is genuine (and if it's not, then it's very well done!) then I can't really imagine the circumstances under which it could have happened.... obviously an 0-6-0 of some kind must have sat there for hours, if not days, constantly spinning its wheels with no-one paying it any attention..... :eek:

In a less-impressive way in our scale, something similar can indeed happen of you leave an LGB track cleaning loco unattended and it somehow gets stuck in one spot with the cleaning-wheel motor still spinning!

Jon.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I've seen that photo several times before, and assuming it is genuine (and if it's not, then it's very well done!) then I can't really imagine the circumstances under which it could have happened.... obviously an 0-6-0 of some kind must have sat there for hours, if not days, constantly spinning its wheels with no-one paying it any attention..... :eek:

In a less-impressive way in our scale, something similar can indeed happen of you leave an LGB track cleaning loco unattended and it somehow gets stuck in one spot with the cleaning-wheel motor still spinning!

Jon.
Perhaps it was that then!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I'd also seen that image before. This is another view of, I think, the same site. This one would have been caused by a Co-Co loco.

Ah yes, in that shot you can clearly see the second set of gouges from the other power bogie!
Still wondering how it could have occurred, surely even if a loco had become completely stuck for some reason they wouldn't have kept trying to free it for so long rather than bringing up a rescue engine...?

Jon.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, well/.. There's the rub! - Literally! :eek:
As with modern tractors (agricultural) large engines like the Yeoman, can 'dial-in' slip, so the wheels can actually 'spin' in a controlled manner.
I asked about these pictures, and was told that the drivers (or one, at least) did not realise what this meant. An aggregate train had a brake problem, and the loco was left running whilst driver walked back to check. - As told to me..

I am told that a Yeoman, at night, with sanders, and 5% slip coming out of the quarry is quite impressive.

Of course, this could have been a wind-up, but the source was credible.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, well/.. There's the rub! - Literally! :eek:
As with modern tractors (agricultural) large engines like the Yeoman, can 'dial-in' slip, so the wheels can actually 'spin' in a controlled manner.
I asked about these pictures, and was told that the drivers (or one, at least) did not realise what this meant. An aggregate train had a brake problem, and the loco was left running whilst driver walked back to check. - As told to me..

I am told that a Yeoman, at night, with sanders, and 5% slip coming out of the quarry is quite impressive.

Of course, this could have been a wind-up, but the source was credible.

Sounds worryingly similar to the plot of "Unstoppable", to me.... mind you, that movie is based on real (if not quite so spectacular) events......

Jon.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
my otto is weighted up to 2.3 kilograms.
Korm, having stripped down my Otto I am having difficulty in finding space for extra weight, what did you use for weight and where did to put it.:)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
What on earth?

Jon.
I think I've seen a video somewhere - assume it's a helper loco slightly out of sync with a long, heavy train trying to get started :nod::nod:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Korm, having stripped down my Otto I am having difficulty in finding space for extra weight, what did you use for weight and where did to put it.:)

Not from personal experience, never having had an Otto to bits, but I'd think that Tyre Balance Weights might work - the self-adhesive ones, just stick 'em wherever you can - inside water tanks, cab floor, etc..... just try to keep the extra weight well distributed fore-and-aft to avoid unbalancing the loco if you can.

Jon.