Track radius, sizes.

dai

Registered
4 Oct 2015
Ardrishaig , Argyll
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, could some one explain track radius sizes, Or is there some where on the web which already has the imfo, i have to fit i loop in to an area only 38 inchs across. Thank you Dai.

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways & more caving. Fan of TTTE
1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
wychboldandstokepriorrailway.blogspot.co.uk
Best answers

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
That's somewhat smaller than the 1st radius available off the shelf from most manufacturers. I suspect you may have to use flexi- track to get it to fit. What locos and stock are you hoping to run on it? You could be restricted to using short wheelbase stuff.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
38 inches is incredibly tight for 45mm track - smaller than LGB Radius 1, which is around 48" diameter.

The only commercial track (that is actually available) that I'm aware of that would fit that space is Bertram Heyn's "Radius 0", here:

A circle of that would fit your area (just), but even then you'd still need to ensure clearance for stock overhangs and you'd be restricted to very small locos and rolling stock.

There have been smaller radii circles available in the past, specifically Aristocraft's "Barrel Circles" in two sizes, but they are next to impossible to find - long out of production and those that have them seem to be hanging on to them!

Jon.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Dai.

That's tight!

I hope you don't have an Aristo Class 66?

Unless you are running Hartland short wagons, with a short wheelbase loco, it's just not going to work.

LGB R1 is 2 ft (600 mm) radius, so you will need a 4 ft diameter (1200 mm), and that is centre to centre, so realistically, you need 4ft 6 in of space.

I have a double track return loop (R1/R2) which just fits in to a 6 foot space, but I have to be careful as to what rolling stock can use it....

thumbnail_20200614_152754.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
But then there is always this, certainly not for the faint hearted at 16 inches Diameter to the outside rail. If it were using LGB Rail perhaps a Stainz may manage it with a little gauge widening.

SophieB

Registered
24 Sep 2017
Elizabeth City, NC, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have a circle of Mr. Heyn's "Radius 0" track as well as one of the Aristocraft barrel circles. They are fun to play with for small dioramas or vignettes but I haven't tried to incorporate them into an actual layout. An LGB porter or a Hartland Mack negotiate the tight curves nicely. I've even had an LGB Fortuna Flyer running on ours occasionally.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I bought two of the Heyn Rad 0 circles (each of 8 x 45 degree sections) a couple of years back - one with the standard sleepers (which are visually close to "normal" Euro G) and one with his field-railway "rustic" sleepers.

I've laid it on the floor and tested it with a Stainz and a couple of four-wheel wagons, both Feldbahn shorties and LGB standard 4-wheelers (starter set coaches).
The Stainz handles the radius OK in both directions when running solo, and runs well both ways with the feldbahn short cars; with the standard-length four wheel cars it runs fine bunker-first, but when running smokebox-first it struggles a bit with coupler lock-up due to the excessive outswing of the cab end of the loco - it will manage it (just), but is not 100% happy.

One of the little Feldbahn locos with matching cars would be fine in both directions.

Jon.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
LGB Telegram of Fall 1999 V10 No.3 had a great article about building a small Railway that fitted on a board 3’4” wide by 5’2” long using in part LGB R1 points and 1 R1 curve to bring the point track straight again. The other curves very tight were curved using a Rail Bender to impossibly tight curves,
1AFF9062-FE6A-42A6-A716-5462219B5C77.jpeg