Track Planning software ?

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
I am using the free down load of Anyrail but it will only let you use around 50 sections before it says no more.

Is there another free down load with an unlimited amount of track ?

Cheers

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Re:Track Building software ?

Steve said:
I am using the free down load of Anyrail but it will only let you use around 50 sections before it says no more.

Is there another free down load with an unlimited amount of track ?

Cheers
I don't believe so Steve? The software firms let you have the free version as a taster, hoping you'll then fork out for the full, all siging and dancing version.

What I do is draw a small part of my layout using Anyrail, in 1:10 or 1:12 scale, reduce it to 1:50, then using File/Export, convert the file to a .jpg, and save it. I then draw the other sections and join them all together using Programs/Accesories/Paint.

Cheating a little, but it does for me....

LittleRedTrain

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ash Vale, UK
Best answers
I use XTrkCad http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/HomePa... used to, but once you have, it does the job.

LittleRedTrain

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ash Vale, UK
Best answers
homestyal said:
This xtrkcad looks okay - just need to find where/how I load the LGB library!8|

I think the LGB library comes with it.

Go to File Menu -> Parameter Files.
The 'Parameter Files' window will appear.
Click 'Browse' and select 'lgb.xtp' and click OK. [If you can't find it, it should be in the [XTrkCad install dir]params
Ensure it is checked in the Parameter Files box, and click OK.

Then go to Options Menu -> Layout
Select 'G' for your scale, 'Standard' for the gauge, and click OK.
The LGB parts should then appear in the toolbar at the top.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy said:
What I do is draw a small part of my layout using Anyrail, in 1:10 or 1:12 scale, reduce it to 1:50, then using File/Export, convert the file to a .jpg, and save it. I then draw the other sections and join them all together using Programs/Accesories/Paint.

Blimey, I didn't realise you were real Yorkshire, Gizz :happy::happy:

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
I have just tried this software and it aint too bad, thanks for the link

Zman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
On a hillside in Morley, overlooking Leeds!
Best answers

Rhinochugger said:
Gizzy said:

Proper Loiner is Gizzy, just like wot I is!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, has anyone loaded this on a Mac. I downloaded the correct version (OSX 10.4.11) I have Directories and Files but no apparent application icon to run it. Any help would be appreciated.
JonD

LTfan

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
dunnyrail said:
Hi, has anyone loaded this on a Mac. I downloaded the correct version (OSX 10.4.11) I have Directories and Files but no apparent application icon to run it. Any help would be appreciated.
JonD

Jon - I use RailModeller (on OSX 10.6.2); not free but v. easy to use.

http://www.railmodeller.com/Buy.html

Cheers

David

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Zman said:
Rhinochugger said:
Gizzy said:

Proper Loiner is Gizzy, just like wot I is!
Aye lad, and dunt you forget it....

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag

There are ways you can sort of beat or manipulate the 50 piece restriction without breaching copyright laws.

Try to use the maximum length possible on yer straight runs (i.e. there are places on my railway where I have 1200mm straights connected to 300mm striaghts, but in Anyrail I put in 1500mm straights to save a a few pieces).

If I'm still short of track to achieve my plan I export the plan as a jpeg image file then continue editing the plan using any standard jpeg editing tool (as per Gizzy's post earlier).

You can copy and paste a lot of stuff once you've exported it.

Another method I use is split my entire plan into two or more separate Anyrail files (the restriction is 50 pieces per plan not 50 pieces total). You can then export your separate plans out as jpeg's and splice them together using your jpeg editing software (even a basic app like MS Paint will get you a decent result once you've exported the anyrail files).

Bredebahn

Cinema, Garden Railway, Private Flying (licenced p
25 Oct 2009
A field near Rye, in beautiful East Sussex.
Best answers

I have never used trackplanning software in my life! Complex sections can easily be drawn to approximate scale (on squared paper if necessary) and plain track can be better estimated along the proposed (real) trackbed with cardboard cutouts if you need to, or a simple tape measure if you don't. I always found that by laying complex junctions and station layouts first, then the remainder could safely be laid going away from these and the only time that precision was required was when it came to joining the ends - in any event I would suggest that track planning software would only be of minimal help here (though useful in calculating quantity perhaps) and it would be the hacksaw that would be more useful.

Don't be limited in your layout by what is and isn't possible without cutting rails. Design what you want and cut to fit if need be - it will look a lot less "trainset set-track" like. Having said that, I would agree that premade pointwork isn't to be messed with a hack-saw (on grounds of cost primarily), but plain rail in between won't present you with a problem and won't have any serious cost implication (in fact it'll probably save you a lot of money as you won't have to seek out those very short sections which cost an arm and a leg to buy premade for what they are).

3886497a90e84ba9a5add891c689d2b6.jpg

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

8| Forget the software, I didn't even use a tape measure to set out this triangle/wye. Basically, the LGB geometry made it easy, even with a few reverse curves in there.

triangle.jpg

:impatient: Mind you, I used to set out tracks in 12" to the foot scale for a living.... yes, there was a time when tracks were being put in, rather than being taken out. :clap: