Track plan

5H17

Railways and Diesel preservation, American cars
25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
www.fourfooteightandahalf.com
Best answers
Ahh ok yes I get it now!
That looks a lot better than my initial plan too.

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Old Tom said:
From a G scale novice point of view......

The top loop looks like it will need quite a steep gradient to get over the bridge. Will your locos manage it or are you going to sink the lower track to make it less steep?

You've probably got it all sorted already, but I thought I'd mention it. :)

Whats the reccomended gradient anyone?

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Just a thought - if you make the bottom "8" as Stage One you won't have an "out-and-back" option to and from the shed (if that's what you might want) until stage 2 is complete. That is, unless you put in a temporary wye as part of Stage One.

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
Thanks C&S. I think im going to go with something akin to Gizzy's suggestion to start with. Realistically it wont be all that long between stage 1 and stage 2 being built anyway.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Gizzy said:
5H17 said:
dont i need two more though, as per the last image I posted?
No, you only need 2 insulated sections, if you follow my plan, as marked in yellow.

Fit the insulators on both rails at both ends. Connect this isolated section to the output of your Lenz reversal module, and the input to either the 'main line, or the controller output. I don't have any experience of the Lenz modules myself, but they should be simple enough to wire up....

Hi folks. A couple of small comments. At the top of the diagram you don;t need to have the long yellow track as shown if you don;t want to have it. You could go back to the original small triangle and have isolating joiners on both top and right hand arms of the triangle and a final set at the right hand end of the "8" where the return track rejoins the main line. Total of 6 isolating joiners, but you save on track.

On the lower "8", were the layout mine I'd have a cut-off track so I could run a train around that "8" while running another round the larger circuit simultaneously (i.e. two separate circuits with links between them).

A final thought. Do check whether your Lenz reversing loop units are capable of independent operation before finally deciding on multiple reversing loops. If, like LGB's product, when one is activated all units change at the same time, you could run into problems and/or end up using units unnecessarily.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Whoops - meant to add an annotated trackplan. Here 'tis:

c499a941a9964149904da4f87938d0b4.jpg

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
whatlep said:
On the lower "8", were the layout mine I'd have a cut-off track so I could run a train around that "8" while running another round the larger circuit simultaneously (i.e. two separate circuits with links between them).

Thats not a bad idea either actually. Im not entirely sure i will be able to fit another line in, because of where the pond is. Definitely worth a coat of looking at though I guess.

A final thought. Do check whether your Lenz reversing loop units are capable of independent operation before finally deciding on multiple reversing loops. If, like LGB's product, when one is activated all units change at the same time, you could run into problems and/or end up using units unnecessarily.

Im sure I read somewhere that they are ok. More research required!