Track plan

5H17

Railways and Diesel preservation, American cars
25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
www.fourfooteightandahalf.com
Best answers
Version 1? (ok its actually about version 8, but hey!)
This is what im currently thinking of building. A number of reasons...it gives me:

1) A very long continuous run, OR
2) The ability to just leave two trains running figure 8's on opposite sides of the garden
3) a reverse loop

The longer of the two figure 8's is give or take 60 ft long. The shorter figure 8 the other side is about 45ft (so I can stagger them, due to the width of the garden)
All curves are 10ft dia or greater (although some of the points will be Piko R5)
The bottom half of the plan is stage 1, upper part is stage 2.
Ive swapped the upper a lower routes on the bottom figure 8, to give me an accessible station / passing loop that is on the level.

Other than that, can you guys see any glaring errors / ommissions / potential issues?

eecee6e5f1784c9cb87184bf97c1c111.jpg

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
One obvious one, you have a reverse loop so will to cater for it by whatever means of control you are planning, DC/DCC etc. Having reversed your train, you don't have a second loop to reverse it back to 'normal', without reversing the train itself.

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
Thanks Colin. I did have a second reverse loop in an earlier plan but i actually took it out (primarily to economise on the number of points i need to buy straight off). You cant really see it on the photo, but just to the left of where ive written ' lower', theres a little dotted line that would make it another loop. I guess that can be phase 3?

Then again, am I making a lot of work for myself by trying to put that in later. Its a very valid point. :clap:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
As long as you are aware of the polarity issues with reversing loops (assuming electrical operation of course), then apart from the triangular junction having short sides, it looks okay....

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
And thanks Gizzy. Ill have a couple of reverse loop modules to go in.
Actualy...looking at it, if i DO put the second reverse loop in, is there another polarity issue there aside from the second reverse loop? Im confusing myself now!

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
As long as you are aware of the polarity issues with reversing loops (assuming electrical operation of course), then apart from the triangular junction having short sides, it looks okay?

And as Colin mentioned, a way to return trains in the other direction?

I've shown where in red....

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
looks great , you will need a load of track for all that , happy cleaning as well:D

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
From a G scale novice point of view......

The top loop looks like it will need quite a steep gradient to get over the bridge. Will your locos manage it or are you going to sink the lower track to make it less steep?

You've probably got it all sorted already, but I thought I'd mention it. :)

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
Gizzy said:
As long as you are aware of the polarity issues with reversing loops (assuming electrical operation of course), then apart from the triangular junction having short sides, it looks okay?

And as Colin mentioned, a way to return trains in the other direction?

I've shown where in red....
[/quote]

That bit youve added is where I had half a mind to put it as well. How would I wire that for DCC with a reverse module though? Am I right in thinking that as well as needing insulators on the new red bit, and just below the tunnel, ill also need them on the other loop, or thats another polarity issue, right? (I think...doh...im even more confuddled now!)

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
5H17 said:
Actualy...looking at it, if i DO put the second reverse loop in, is there another polarity issue there aside from the second reverse loop? Im confusing myself now!

I've read on your other posts that you are going DCC (the dark side), so I would suggest that you make the straight part of your triangle as one reversal chord. Make sure it is longer than your longest engine. You will need to fit insulating joiners at both ends of this chord.

Ditto, the other reversing chord, where ever you decide to put it. Marked these up on your diagram in yellow.

The reverse loop modules for DCC will change the polarity automatically, without you having to stop the train. However, for DC (analogue) you will need to stop the train (or loco) in the isolated section, and reverse the direction of your controller.

Which reversing modules are you using?

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
Steve said:
looks great , you will need a load of track for all that , happy cleaning as well:D

I think ive already got most of it. I reckon I need another three pairs of points to make up the triangle, and another half a circle of 10ft dia Aristo.

Its the cleaning im not looking forward to! Might have to invest in a cleaner.

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
Gizzy said:
5H17 said:

I've read on your other posts that you are going DCC (the dark side), so I would suggest that you make the straight part of your triangle as one reversal chord. Make sure it is longer than your longest engine. You will need to fit insulating joiners at both ends of this chord.

Ditto, the other reversing chord, where ever you decide to put it. Marked these up on your diagram in yellow.

The reverse loop modules for DCC will change the polarity automatically, without you having to stop the train. However, for DC (analogue) you will need to stop the train (or loco) in the isolated section, and reverse the direction of your controller.

Which reversing modules are you using?

They will be Lenz modules.

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
Two mins...another picture coming right up.
I *think* ive got this right in my head, but I cant explain it very well.

(and yes, ive got the idea from following the plan with my finger hehe)

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
Let me see if i got this right. Have put lines where I think there should be isolators (ie at each end of the reverse loops). Ive also put some additional ones (arrowed), cause otherwise that particular section has a constant feed?

Or am I being a numpty.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Just my thoughts on extending your reversing loops to fit your longest train, and add interest.

I've extended the loops to give some sections of double track.

Hope you don't mind me 'tweaking' your track diagram.

The yellow tracks would be the sections which had the insulators in both rails at each end, so 4 for each chord, making 8 in total....

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
Note to self...attach the image!

7055923ad39049d8864bf230c1893134.jpg

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
Gizzy said:
Just my thoughts on extending your reversing loops to fit your longest train, and add interest.

I've extended the loops to give some sections of double track.

Hope you don't mind me 'tweaking' your track diagram.

Not at all! Be my guest...the point of the thread is to ask the experts ;)

The yellow tracks would be the sections which had the insulators in both rails at each end, so 4 for each chord, making 8 in total....

dont i need two more though, as per the last image I posted?

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
Old Tom said:
From a G scale novice point of view......

The top loop looks like it will need quite a steep gradient to get over the bridge. Will your locos manage it or are you going to sink the lower track to make it less steep?

You've probably got it all sorted already, but I thought I'd mention it. :)

Thanks Tom. It may be possible to stretch the top loop to the same (or similar) length to the lower one, as long as I stagger them slightly. It will certainly be possible to take the upper level up and the lower level down slightly though. Im still undecided as to whether to actually use a bridge on the top half, or keep it all level and use diamonds. Am in two minds.

Thanks for all the help folks...much appreciated :)

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
5H17 said:
dont i need two more though, as per the last image I posted?
No, you only need 2 insulated sections, if you follow my plan, as marked in yellow.

Fit the insulators on both rails at both ends. Connect this isolated section to the output of your Lenz reversal module, and the input to either the 'main line, or the controller output. I don't have any experience of the Lenz modules myself, but they should be simple enough to wire up....