Track layout testing vs Rrampmeter

Litninbolt

Registered
11 Jul 2021
Phoenix
Best answers
Country flag
Is the rrampmeter one of the best ways to test track around a large outdoor layout, or are their other options For DCC?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Did you mean ammeter? You'll need to check you have volts in the right places, an ammeter will measure the load on the system when in use

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Are you familiar with voltage drop testing? It is used a lot in auto repair circles to chase down wiring issues. All you need is a straight DC source to put across the rails, maybe the power supply for your central station (24v DC?), a couple of 12V automotive bulbs in series on alligator clips, or a single bulb if using a 12V supply and your VOM. Connect the bulb(s) across the rails at various locations and check the actual voltage across to the bulbs. Start at your feed connections to give you an idea of what a good (hopefully) voltage reading looks like. Keep a record of your readings and you should be able to track ;)down where any problems such as bad joints exist. Bulbs are convenient but any load that will draw a few amps at your test voltage will do. Make sure your central station and boosters are disconnected when you do this testing otherwise they WILL BE DESTROYED!

Last edited:

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Last edited:

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
A RRampmeter is
Is the rrampmeter one of the best ways to test track around a large outdoor layout, or are their other options For DCC?
IMO a RRampmeter is a great tool for any DC or DDC system as it conveniently combines a bunch of functions which would otherwise require several different devices. I have one which I bought initially for use with my DC trains and it is now starting to be equally useful with DCC.

Last edited:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I use the Massoth 1200Z DCC and it has a reading for Current on its LCD display.

I'm not familiar with other manufacturers kit.

For fault finding, I use a conventional Digital Multi-meter, but PhilP's light bulb method works just as well....

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
A multi-meter that correctly reads DCC volts and amps....

Question is about DCC... ordinary meter not accurate.

As per debugging, a proper meter AND proper debugging techniques are both needed.

The major thing people do wrong is not test under load.

I have a page dedicated to techniques on finding and debugging problems with track power, too much to retype here.

Greg

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Remember that when a closed loop has a power loss, there are 2 problems to fix!! Power travels from both directions around the loop.