Track Cleaning Loco - chipped

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks

Just chipped my TCL (via Direct Decoder) after having run it previously on analogue. Now the cleaning motor seems to run at full pelt as soon as I put it on the track. Is that normal? If so, is there any way of slowing it down? The knob on the roof no longer seems to do anything. I'm worried the cleaning motor will burn out if I can't slow it down a bit.

I've seen from some postings that some people reverse the wires on the cleaning motor - would that help?

Rik

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
It's supposed to run like that on digital Rik, just make sure you don't leave it running unattended now!!

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
It appears do be normal when they go DCC.

No speed control just on and off using F1

I also asked when i did mine,

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
steve parberry said:

Thanks Steve - didn't know about F1 - that's useful.

shropshire lad said:
It's supposed to run like that on digital Rik, just make sure you don't leave it running unattended now!!

I see what you mean - just created two neat little valleys while I was trying to figure out how to press F1.

Sorry to be dense - but how do I do F1 with a Universal Remote? It keeps wanting me to change points.

Rik

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
ge_rik said:
steve parberry said:

Thanks Steve - didn't know about F1 - that's useful.

shropshire lad said:

I see what you mean - just created two neat little valleys while I was trying to figure out how to press F1.

Sorry to be dense - but how do I do F1 with a Universal Remote? It keeps wanting me to change points.

Rik

[*]Press the single loco buttton[*]select the address for the TCL[*]push button 1[*]should be that simple just like switching the smoke on and off Steve

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
Think mines Blown the boards...

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
steve parberry said:
[*]Press the single loco buttton[*]select the address for the TCL[*]push button 1[*]should be that simple just like switching the smoke on and off

Steve
Hmmmm .... did try that but nothing happened which is why I wondered if I also needed to press F. I wonder if it's anything to do with the dip switches. I set them all the opposite way to how they were before I chipped it (as per my Direct Decoderised Stainz).

Will have to wait until this afternoon to have another try (my neighbour works nights and the TCL now rattles windows and teeth!).
Rik

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
ge_rik said:
steve parberry said:
[*]Press the single loco buttton[*]select the address for the TCL[*]push button 1[*]should be that simple just like switching the smoke on and off

Steve
Hmmmm .... did try that but nothing happened which is why I wondered if I also needed to press F. I wonder if it's anything to do with the dip switches. I set them all the opposite way to how they were before I chipped it (as per my Direct Decoderised Stainz).

Will have to wait until this afternoon to have another try (my neighbour works nights and the TCL now rattles windows and teeth!).
Rik

Rik

Is it a new chip? Has the function for F1 been set to a different number?
It should just be like turning smoke on and off on any other loco...

Did you do all six dip swtiches?
Steve

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
steve parberry said:
Is it a new chip? Has the function for F1 been set to a different number?
It should just be like turning smoke on and off on any other loco...
Did you do all six dip swtiches?
Steve
No - it is an old chip which I took out of my Stainz.

Yes - reset all six dip switches - plus another couple which were beside the pot controlling the motor speed. I tried unsetting these again but it wouldn't respond to MTS at all so set them again.

Just tried again with both the Universal and the Loco Remotes. I can turn the headlights on and off with 9, but pressing 1 (or any other key for that matter) has not effect.

It's something I can live with - but I am intrigued as to why it doesn't work as it should.

Rik