trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I received these pics yesterday Paul showing the Hudson tipper. I used to have a siding here with a lift-off section of track (drive the tram down the line so the cable could be lifted off the sheaves, then put the section of track on top of the rails and wheel the truck on to the running line. Then used a metal pole to link truck and tram together. Then fill truck with ballast!).

As it is now ....

Tipper Truck resize 1.JPG

Tipper Truck resize 2.JPG

Tipper Truck resize 3.JPG

The wheel sets are worn ones from the cable tram (I had new ones cast). It was originally 2ft gauge and from a council (Shipley) yard use for clearing the debris from a storm drain outlet. When full, it was winched up a slope ready to be tipped into a lorry for disposal. So it was cable hauled before being given to us at Shipley Glen.

The remaining picture is copied from a calendar - the ex Darlington based tipper cut down to serve as a flat bed maintenance trolley. It was given to me as it was a commercial 20" gauge product used on what must have been the last 20" gauge industrial railway to close.

Outside Museum 001.jpg

The truck has the A Frame sign board on it. Behind is the replica 1895 car that built but never completed (it should be displayed on an inclined section of track). Foreground shows another item I recreated - the handcart.

Reactions: 1 users

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Ah the Shipley G!end Trams, I used to love these as a child. Still in working order?

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Ah the Shipley G!end Trams, I used to love these as a child. Still in working order?

Hi Duncan - yes it still operates. However, it has only one carriage per track these days. Two new cars were built to accomodate a new braking system. The canopies that I added were transferred to the new cars. The seats were also transferred (and I presume the remaing one were put in store). I was told that at some future date there might be a chance of building two more cars to restore the status quo.

I was reading the Accounts just five minutes ago! It operates as a charitable Trust but modern legislation, HSE (it now comes under the Mines Inspectorate), and otheer matters make life hard for the Trustees. It operates using unpaid volunteers.

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Duncan - yes it still operates. However, it has only one carriage per track these days. Two new cars were built to accomodate a new braking system. The canopies that I added were transferred to the new cars. The seats were also transferred (and I presume the remaing one were put in store). I was told that at some future date there might be a chance of building two more cars to restore the status quo.

I was reading the Accounts just five minutes ago! It operates as a charitable Trust but modern legislation, HSE (it now comes under the Mines Inspectorate), and otheer matters make life hard for the Trustees. It operates using unpaid volunteers.
You actually work there? Ah, its making sense now. I hadn't realised I had been so close recently, (the pub in that park near the weir). I must pay a visit one day, only an hour away on train changing at Leeds.

Last edited:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
You actually work there? Ah, its making sense now. I hadn't realised I had been so close recently, (the pub in that park near the weir). I must pay a visit one day, only an hour away on train changing at Leeds.

I was involved, along with other volunteers, from 1981 to 2003. Leased it from 1994 to 2002. Lived permanently in Co. Mayo since end of 2003!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Today's starting lineup of Roundhouse diesels including the latest arrival Delia, a "Bulldog" class locomotive.image.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Today's starting lineup Delia, Freda and Maria with an assortment of coal skips at St Bernards Station.image.jpeg image.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
A bit slow, that PWay gang. Been working there for ages!
:rofl: