To Paint or Not To Paint

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
These arrived today. They're in okay shape. Detail parts missing, a roof that needs some figuring to be reattached, lighting to be reinstalled and overall some bumps and bruises. I'm not crazy with the paint scheme and was thinking of giving it a new paint job. Is this tram combo something of a collectors item ? Hopefully not. tram 1.jpgtram 2.jpg

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
I have a set that I "australianised". replaced the bow collector with a trolley pole, removed the extraneous stuff off the roof, removed the adverising signs... Repainted in a chocolate and cream with gold lining livery...

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
If it was mine, it would go straight to the paintbooth, collectible or not.

Nice set, ugly livery
LGB's remarkable appetite for self promotion - collectible, who knows :emo::emo::emo::emo:

I've never understood this business about collectible items. The stupid thing over here is that in general model railway terms, the inaccurate, out of scale older stuff is more collectible / valuable than the good, scale models.

Just another South Sea Bubble :mask::mask::mask::mask::mask::mask:

Now, if LGB had got their advert on the side of a 1:1 tram and then modeled that, now that would be something different :clap::clap::clap: (didn't they do that with some RhB stuff?)

Reactions: 1 user

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
As they are not in pristine condition then the 'collector' will be less interested. I suggest you do as you want with them. If they were truly collectable someone would already have offered to take them off your hands!

Reactions: 1 users

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
LGB's remarkable appetite for self promotion - collectible, who knows :emo::emo::emo::emo:

I've never understood this business about collectible items. The stupid thing over here is that in general model railway terms, the inaccurate, out of scale older stuff is more collectible / valuable than the good, scale models.

Just another South Sea Bubble :mask::mask::mask::mask::mask::mask:

Now, if LGB had got their advert on the side of a 1:1 tram and then modeled that, now that would be something different :clap::clap::clap: (didn't they do that with some RhB stuff?)

Here is a link to the RhB: SPUR G NEWS Neuheiten 2018 von LGB

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
So far, theyre not that scarce, and from prices in the us, not that sought after, typically i see $165-$200.

A well done paint jpb can transform....
Problem is....sometimes those lgb welds and glue are tenacious.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you all for your input. Like Rhinochugger, I never got the collectible mindset when it comes to toy trains. That's not to say that some collectors haven't made money on bought and then sold trains. But, for the most part it's a speculative thing. A gamble.

Anyway, all of that is a subject for another thread. I have decided not only to paint the pair, but also to leave them track powered.....o_O.....I would love to build a small traction layout indoors with live overhead wire at some point in the next couple of years.

Reactions: 1 users

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
Some examples? - Ok, let's go:
54872-bmb-pfingstfest-09.06.2014.jpg

This one was made for a friend.

40375-modellbau-lgb-05.04.2012.jpg

The grey one was a work tram in Wuppertal.

53176-modellbau-08.02.2014.jpg

Ok, an other work tram. water tram.

55216-turmwagen-712-28.08.2014.jpg

Ok just only a tower tram.

74450-modellbau-atw-713-29.07.2018.jpg

Latest project is this one. A goods tram. At the moment I made head and brake light with 5mm LED's.

If you paint yours in a different colour, make sure, that the advert is removed. And now enjoy your self. It is allowed use other colours than my orange, please. :happy:

And by the way This one you got was a tram made for the 20th annversary of Lgb. You can get it of Ebay for arround 120 to 150 €.

Reactions: 5 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Judging by the efforts of Peter you can do nothing but improve them with a prototypical repaint. Warnings of the LGB Glue are to be heeded, otherwise lots of masking. You could use Maskol or an equivalent on the windows which may get you out of a little bit of trouble if just the odd window or two refuses to be budged.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Oh I long for such a tram model! Never seen them for under € 200,-??

The pair I purchased were from an Evilbay seller. I paid $149.00 including shipping !

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Some examples? - Ok, let's go:
54872-bmb-pfingstfest-09.06.2014.jpg

This one was made for a friend.

The grey one was a work tram in Wuppertal.

Ok, an other work tram. water tram.

Ok just only a tower tram.

Latest project is this one. A goods tram. At the moment I made head and brake light with 5mm LED's.

If you paint yours in a different colour, make sure, that the advert is removed. And now enjoy your self. It is allowed use other colours than my orange, please. :happy:

And by the way This one you got was a tram made for the 20th annversary of Lgb. You can get it of Ebay for arround 120 to 150 €.

Love your work. I am discovering a whole new aspect of model railroading in trams. A believable cityscape or even countryscape is entirely possible.