Thread designation at my Mamod Brunel.

PIFFPAFF

Registered
4 Nov 2020
Vellmar - Germany
Best answers
I would like a steam pipe on the water sight glass of my Mamod Brunel.
But I am not familiar with the English thread standard. Can someone tell me what this thread is called?
I hope Google translated me well. :)

Attachments

• Mein Brunel.jpg
    Mein Brunel.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 0
  • pipe-conect.jpg
    pipe-conect.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 0
  • pipe.jpg
    pipe.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 0

PIFFPAFF

Registered
4 Nov 2020
Vellmar - Germany
Best answers
I would like a steam pipe on the water sight glass of my Mamod Brunel.
But I am not familiar with the English thread standard. Can someone tell me what this thread is called?
I hope Google translated me well. :)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I like your modifications. I thought the thread was M6 or 0BA, but I'm not sure now as a 10mm spanner feels loose on it.

PIFFPAFF

Registered
4 Nov 2020
Vellmar - Germany
Best answers
I would like to order such a steam pipe on Ebay. There the pipes are offered with 3 different threads. But I don't know about the thread. Seems to be a fine thread. I hope we get snow, so I can test the snow plow ;)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Your whistle may screw into the spare hole in the boiler 20201217_183038.jpg

PIFFPAFF

Registered
4 Nov 2020
Vellmar - Germany
Best answers
Mamud has installed a water feed valve in the replacement hole in the boiler. It's very convenient.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Harald,

Though this is a G Gauge forum, it is mainly G45 and LGB/Bachmann focused, though people do post about Live Steam (including myself), there are very few dedicated to live steamers here, and (I would like to be proved wrong) I don't think anybody has the expertise on Mamod to provide your answer.
I would suggest for this question you try Garden Railway Forum - G scale, Gauge 1, 16mm scale, 7/8ths and more :mask: :mask: :mask: which have far more Live Steam fans, and a number of members running Mamod.

I hope the admins don't mind me directing Harald to another forum, but I think honesty and positive advice is important.

Harald, obviously you are more than welcome to pose any question you wish, and will always be welcome.:nod::nod::nod:

PIFFPAFF

Registered
4 Nov 2020
Vellmar - Germany
Best answers
Hello Jimmy,
Thank you for your hint.
I'll have a look around there too.
But I have a G-gauge track system in my garden.
In addition to 6 LGB models, this beautiful Mamud Brunel also drives there.
This locomotive has nothing in common with the old models (Mamud SL1).
The quality is great, the engine is powerful and you can easily change the track to 45mm.
I once had a Regner Friede, I wasn't satisfied with that.

Look at me LGB 996001 from 1980 inside the house.
https://youtu.be/V9ro2wf7pDU

greetings Harald

Reactions: 1 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Your Mamod looks to be more recent version of mine. I find that the steam oil is used up far too early due to the badly designed piston/oil pot configuration.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Jimmy,
Thank you for your hint.
I'll have a look around there too.
But I have a G-gauge track system in my garden.
In addition to 6 LGB models, this beautiful Mamud Brunel also drives there.
This locomotive has nothing in common with the old models (Mamud SL1).
The quality is great, the engine is powerful and you can easily change the track to 45mm.
I once had a Regner Friede, I wasn't satisfied with that.

Look at me LGB 996001 from 1980 inside the house.
https://youtu.be/V9ro2wf7pDU

greetings Harald
16mm society is a broad church and their publicity quotes 32 and 45 track gauge so no worries that you like most of us are on 45, they will talk to you.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I would like to order such a steam pipe on Ebay.
I'm a little confused, and maybe it's the translation. I have a Brunel (but no idea what the thread is. If all else fails, I might be able to find out.)

First - have you asked the dealer? Or MSS themselves? I had no problem getting replies to my questions. There's also "The Unofficial Mamod & Other Steam Forum" which you could search.
The Unofficial Mamod & Other Steam Forum

Second - that whistle looks to have a threaded end on the valve, like the Regner one. Have you tried it in the fitting on top of the sight glass, if that's where you plan to install your pipe? Just be gentle!

Finally - my hardware store now has a card with the various sizes of threads, so that customers can identify what they have without chasing through all the boxes. If your store has that, you can take your whistle valve and the plug on the sight glass to the store and find out what threads they have.

PIFFPAFF

Registered
4 Nov 2020
Vellmar - Germany
Best answers
Yes, I will ask the dealer which thread is necessary for the whistle . Your help has been very useful - thank you