Thomas Milk Tanker

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
I recently received several of these cars and initially was disappointed with the lack of detail. Compared to the excellent open coal/mineral type waggon, these are very basic. Just to tart them up a bit, I installed imitation stayrods connecting the raised end beam with the midpoint on the solebar. This required disassembly to drill the inner face of the end beam. The car was then reassembled and the four stayrods fitted and secured with CCA glue. Simple but effective mod. Bachmann chose to represent these rods with black lines painted on the tank sides.

I was going to purchase more and do the stayrod mod and paint black and letter for 'TAR' and 'OIL' but now have lost enthusiasm. The new Bachmann 'oil' tanker is no better than the misrepresented Milk and Petrol waggons. Obviously, licencing restrictions prevented them being true to the series.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Don't forget these tankers were designed with children's play in mind, maybe it was thought that the stay rods would be easily damaged and could pose a danger if boken and sticking out.
I'd like to see a picture of yours, I've had a little interest in them and how much more realistic they could be made to be.
Tim :D

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
Best answers
better that they are painted on than molded on :)

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
I cannot post photographs as I do not have them listed online. In respect to being 'kiddy friendly', the stock end beam moulding could be easily broken off and swallowed by infants as I suppose could the end hooks and buffers. The stayrods actually reinforce the moulding. Little fingers could pry the rods off and insert in eyes and other places, like electrical sockets.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not sure why these didn't follow the tv models more closely in livery detail as once they have the license then that covers all the models.
I assume they omitted the stay rods purely to save cost as they are intended for kids and they are a fairly easy part to add if modifying them.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Tim Brien said:
I cannot post photographs as I do not have them listed online.
They don't have to be Tim. As long as they are stored somewhere on your computer you can download them into your post. I'd really be interesting in seeing what you've done to these wagons, a picture paints a thousand words and all that ;).

http://www.gscalecentral.net/m51661

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
The toolbar must have changed as when opened there was no attachment link on the third line, or any other line.. A 'smilie' select' link was in the attachment position as shown in the link supplied.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Paul,
maybe as a new member I cannot post an attachment other than a linked URL from a hosted website. Quick reply has two lines of action prompts (no attachment link). Full version or reply prompt has three lines of action buttons, not one of which is the attachment link (a staple). Where the staple is shown on the third line in the link to another posting on including photographs, all I see is a 'smilie' link.

On the third line there is definately no attachment link (staple). The first link on the third line is the smilie link, whereas in the link on posting photographs, the attachment link is the first action symbol and the smilie link is the second icon. As stated earlier maybe I have yet to 'earn the right' to post a photograph.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Tim, as far as I'm aware being new to the forum should not prevent you from posting pics, in fact young Billy posted pics on his first post in his recent "hello" thread.

I wonder if you might need to change your forum settings? Perhaps one of the mods will come up with an answer?