Bachmann tanker, simple kit build - suits me!

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
There is nothing difficult about this kit apart from there not being any instructions.
Although Bachmann include detailed diagram of the parts I had to do a backtrack on one occasion in order to fit the longitudinal tie bars on the deck. Fortunately the plastic tabs are robust enough to withstand dissassembly.
989c62ff69024820b8ea936dae7a30c9.jpg
Sorry about the quality of this pic but the camera is clearly on its last legs:crying:
For some reason B added twice as many handrails as are needed. I am sure that they will come in useful elsewhere.
The only damaged component was the plastic "spring" on a coupling. I have spares so it is not a problem.
The two tanker sections and the end caps fit together quite snugly; I decided to fill the very small join which runs the length of the tank with Milliput. It was hardly worth the effort, I find Milliput isn't the most effective gap filler in these situations.
I washed parts to be painted in a very dilute Fairy Liquid solution rinsed them well and applied some filler/primer - which promptly ran out before I had finished. After it had dried I used some red lead primer which also ran out!
f8ea19d3ab5249eda580763279da712a.jpg

A quick hunt revealed some Light Aubergine which I had used to experiment with when painting the Mack. It sufficed. This was followed by several thin satin black coats.
841e0bd5341240fdba2e5cf3726ecbeb.jpg

I am now waiting for this to dry before continuing the assembly.
The longest delay will be waiting for decals especially as I haven't designed them yet!

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
Re:Bachmann tanker, simple kit buid - suits me!

Nice one

Tankers are go!!

small point

doesnt Fairy liquid have lanolin in it, so as to be kind to your hands

hand cream wont increase adhesion! :nerd:

although

I suppose if rinsed off imediately with hot water, might remove it all

But then I dont trust chemicals!!!!

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

Granitechops said:
Nice one

Tankers are go!!

small point

doesnt Fairy liquid have lanolin in it, so as to be kind to your hands

hand cream wont increase adhesion! :nerd:

although

I suppose if rinsed off imediately with hot water, might remove it all

But then I dont trust chemicals!!!!
Hi Don
Yes I keep seeing the 'warnings' the same as the 'warnings' about using Fairy on the car "it contains salt".
I always wash any residue off thoroughly and have never experienced any problem either on cars or kits. (Both my car and my wife's car are over 12yrs old and I see no problem associated with the paint.)
EDIT:- BTW I use cold water to "cut" the residues. Hot water will prolong them.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

The first coats of satin black are on but it looks too.....satiny. I will apply another coat but I think I shall be applying a matt varnish. I will need it for the decals in any event.

c45de6a822a5445cbc54d20e94e9943a.jpg

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers

[H2]wow..[/H2] it look superb mate...let u know i got 3 of those at home...2 are with me..one is for sale..........

very nice colour......keep in posted..thks