Theft of locos

cbeckett

Osier & Woodhurst (UK), Gosnells Extension (OZ)
17 Nov 2013
Gosnells, Perth, WA
Best answers
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought under UK law, the "bought in good faith" argument didn't hold water in the courts, and items can still be confiscated - and even "aiding and abetting" can kick in. Particularly if the buyer was part of the scam, in a laundering-type fashion.

But, I wish the original owner gets his locos back. somehow!

sparky230

Registered
29 Mar 2011
Northfleet
Best answers
If these are the stollen locos, then under uk law they belong to the person who had them stolen or his/her insurance company if a claim has been made. Even if the seller on ebay has sold and dispatched one, the Unlucky buyer will find plod knocking on there door, If they are the stollen locos.

Seen it happen with Radio kit, in my other hobby as a Ham when stollen rigs have been sold on,

cbeckett

Osier & Woodhurst (UK), Gosnells Extension (OZ)
17 Nov 2013
Gosnells, Perth, WA
Best answers
sparky230 said:
If these are the stollen locos, then under uk law they belong to the person who had them stolen or his/her insurance company if a claim has been made. Even if the seller on ebay has sold and dispatched one, the Unlucky buyer will find plod knocking on there door, If they are the stollen locos.

Seen it happen with Radio kit, in my other hobby as a Ham when stollen rigs have been sold on,

Thanks for confirming my assumptions/recollections. It is tough on the innocent buyer, but...fair on the poor victim.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Roundhouse loco is no longer for sale.

Seller ended the sale early due to error in listing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roundhouse-Live-Steam-Engine-16mm-SM32-Radio-Control-/191475765939?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2c94d852b3

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
That's good news, another great example of the various branches, societies and forums in the hobby working together to achieve a good outcome. The sad thing is that they will probably never catch and punish the piece of scum that stole them in the first place.

I wonder who will end up out of pocket when all is resolved.... the auction house, or the unsuspecting eBay dealer?

Jon.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I can't imagine an auction house would deal with an unknown - they seem to pay by cheque or transfer these days - so all traceable. The Ebay dealer - who knows?

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like a good result and I hope they catch the bu**er responsible.

There is an element of buyer beware on all secondhand transactions. The simple principle is that ownership of an item can only be transferred by the lawful owner. If an item is stolen the thief is not the owner and therefore cannot transfer ownership to any buyer regardless of whether the buyer is completely innocent or not.

One thing to be aware of. If you have something stolen which is then found you may well have to prove to the police that it is yours. It is well worth having a record of all your stock with photos. It is worth putting a unique marking on every item (maybe you initials on the underside) and photographing this unique marking. Or alternatively your postcode with one of those special pens.

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
Good advice Chris. I am sure many here will, if they have not done so already, act upon your advice.

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
i suppose if you buy and sell you will at times have problems with stolen goods, the seller has lost a good little earner and his time waisted

not to mention his collar felt

glad thought the owner will get his locos back

alarms and cctv me thinks may be in order

KandNWLR

Live steam on the indoor K&NWLR
18 Dec 2011
Alsace
www.youtube.com
Best answers
I hope that the owner really does get his locos back. It´s also a proof of the value of community such as our own.