The Station at Promise, a Christmas story....

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
"Daddy?" "Yes, Pumpkin?" "Can you make me a station for my train?" "Of course. Do you want a big one or a little one?" "Um, a little one." "OK, I'll make you one for Christmas, short stuff." "Promise?" "I promise."

That was right after Halloween. I figured I had PLENTY of time. Then things happened, and it just sorta slipped my mind.... Until today at work. A customer, who knows I sometimes make wooden toys, asked me what I'd made my girls forChristmas this year.... oh, crap!

Since we closed early, I STILL had time to keep that promise made so blithely two months ago...... maybe...... I hope.

7PM, Christmas Eve...I gulped my dinner and scrounged up some coroplast and some wood scraps, and got to work

PC240001.jpg

8:30, It's starting to look like a train station, I think... or maybe a section house?

PC240002.jpg

9:45, "It's a Wonderful Life" is talking to itself on the television, and I'm busily slopping on the first coat of color even though the glue is definitely not quite dry.

PC250003.jpg

11:30, It took 3 tries to get the roof to look half decent.... "haste makes waste" ... and frustration!

PC250004.jpg

1 AM, Christmas Morning.... Is it finished yet? No. But the base coats of paint need to dry a bit more before I can give it a final coat. Patience, patience...Try to rush now too much and it will just ruin everything....

PC250005.jpg

2:15AM, Promise kept, if barely. She may not even remember the conversation, but I did.... And I kept my word to my little girl.
PC250001.jpg

I'll post a pic of her opening it. Until then, Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Well, she said "It's just the right size!", put it with her trains.... then watched a movie the rest of the afternoon.

She's 9... I didn't expect much, lol.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Well done that dad. :clap: