dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well I had a lot of fun in the Snow today, my Railway became a Scalextric Racecar Track and had a gauge 1 Locomotive on the Track. Same scale as Scalextric pretty much.

A friend in St.Neots is writing a another book about Scalextric and he wanted to use my line for a Picture Shoot. A Snow covered line seamed ideal, I got my G1 LNER Y8 out to join in the fun. Pity I have no stock to go with it. Loco is a battery special that I found in GRS at a silly price and just could not resist it.image.jpegimage.jpeg
Two rather nice and very valuable Bentleys at the Level Crossing, trains suspended while the bloke with a broom sweeps the Track.image.jpeg
A photer gets some action between Racing Cars.image.jpeg
Finally a couple of open top sporty jobs cross the Railway, sweeping bloke has given up the job but photer still at it.image.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Nice to hear from someone who knows what they are talking about. Too easy these days for ignoramuses to spout divel in the belief they have a divine right to be heard, and too few willing to tell them to shut up until they actually do know what they are talking about.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
It wasn't a press release but a radio interview with a very senior and well respected operations director on BR who was asked why there were so many problems with the snow that was falling at that time. He stated that snow in this country is usually quite wet but the snow falling then was lighter and more powdery. It coincided with the introduction of push-pull trains running at 100mph+ where for half of the time the loco was at the back of the train pushing - the fine snow was whipped up by the train ahead and got sucked into the locos' innards. 25,000 volts and melting snow don't mix well and some major flashovers occurred, meaning that the trains had to be taken out of service to be repaired.

With more understanding of the problem, in recent years motors and other electrical gear have had enhanced snow protection, but you can't totally enclose them all the time as airflow is needed for cooling - motors get hot. A remedy is to run at reduced speed when the loco is pushing when snow is on the ground, or to always have the loco at the front (more difficult as terminal stations no longer have the facility to allow a loco to 'run round' its train.

The 'wrong type of snow' tag was invented by the media as the railways are an easy target. Problems over the past few days have been caused by ice rather than snow - just try running your track-powered G scale trains when there is ice on the rail as a result of a thaw and re-freeze, it doesn't work as ice doesn't conduct electricity although water does. Third rail electric powered trains have the same problem.

I speak from many years experience of trying to keep (real) trains running, including during the rare snow events in this country. Thankfully I no longer have receive the 'it's snowing, Guv' calls in the middle of the night but I have considerable sympathy for those that are out there trying to do their best when the elements conspire against them.

M
It just goes to show, no matter how clever mankind is, Nature always has the upper hand:nod::nod:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Mother Nature will always win!

A bit like when I asked, one of the farmers I deliver papers to, if it was a crop coming through..
'No that's just rubbish.. we will spray it in a fortnight, then sow.. As Granddad used to say, land will grow!'

Back to trains:
The leaves, when wet, formed a pulverised mush, which not only insulated (I believe), but acted like grease.. Multiple units were sliding past their stopping points.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
1520162042674-1692032150.jpg

At last, the right type of snow :party::party::party:

Reactions: 1 user