The Ridgeway & Upton Railroad

AFGadd

CME - Bodgit & Scarper Engineering
25 Sep 2011
Oxfordshire
Best answers
After ages of planing and some pretty hard negotiations with the land management department (my good lady) we have agreed a suitable plan for the above mentioned Railroad.
________________________________________________________________________________
Allow me to put all this into perspective.

I have purchased a Regner Vertical Boilered Shay for no other reasons than,
1) I liked it
2) I wanted a live steam engine with all the fittings (Gauge Glass, etc...)
3) I really love early North American Railroad equipment
4) The Regner will negotiate 2ft radius curves
5) I want to build a logging train!

Mostly however, I bought the Regner with some money left to me by my Father who adored the Shay design of locomotive and who introduced me to railway & steam 40+ years ago.

Along with the Regner I purchased some LGB track with 2ft radius curves.
It was not long however, before I came to realise that although the Shay would negotiate R1 curves it looked rather odd doing so. I had bought the R1 because I was sure that was all I could get into the limited garden space space, although I quickly began to doubt this. Not sure what to do next, I bought some R2 curves and had another think.

I soon came to realise that even the R2 was tight and decided that I really should take a look at what was realistic and what would fit....

Below is a track diagram of what I now believe I can achieve.The principle dimensions I have to work with are 28ft width & 16ft depth.THIS IS ALL USING LGB TRACK SECTIONsI've made this diagram using a downloaded image of the LGB Track Stencil, enlarged, printed and track sections cut & pasted onto several sheets of A4. Then scanned and resized in Photoshop.
Route001.jpg

I have now opted for 4ft radius curves throughout, including points.

The only exception to this rule is four R2 sections in the centre of the balloon loop. The curves into the balloon are R3 (4ft) but transition into R2 and then back again to R3. This is the very best I can do in the space allowed to me without divorce!

Also note that the main line route from the terminus on the right, out and back, only negotiates the straight section of ALL points when entering from the point throat. This means that no train needs to negotiate point frogs on the curves hopefully reducing derailments?

I need to fill in the rest of the garden details and upload another plan, but I wanted to add this to the forum for discussion by the other members and listen to any suggestions.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Andrew welcome
Any start is a good start if i were you id get a basic track down and run it that way you will iron out any problems and may see it differently
if stealing presious planting space is a problem have you thought about a tunnel......... say over the loop and then "the wife" can have a rockery or some such,,, i say this as having a continous loop for sitting back and relaxing while a train goes round and round is always a good option especaily when none train people call and you need to be a host but can still peer out and watch something moving

Tony

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Andrew.
Agree with Tony.... having someting laid down with continuos movement is a sure fire way of beginning the experience of G scale. With your layout plan you could always use a shuttle and reverse loop module or if you can get permission (or tunnel) for continuous 'flow' using another loop then it is just a real boost for the taking on the next stages!

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Did you mention live steam? I think I'd want a continuous run to make the most of this.

As for the plan, try using some R5 curves in the straighter sections to add a little natural flow. The transition in the balloon loop looks good and works well, I've used it myself on my line. If you're using a Mac then the Rail Modeller software is great for track planning and has a full LGB catalog if parts.

Good luck! Planning is great fun, I did plenty and the helpful advice on the forum was a massive help to me as a new comer to G. Nothing can prepare you quite like a 'trial' assembly out in the garden.

Shawn

Hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing
I have to agree with the above. If you can set it up for continuous running especially if running live steam. You can always hide part of the return loops with a tunnel or something. Overall the track plan is good just add another loop. It is nice to let the trains run while you sit back and relaxe. Take a look at Kevin Strong from the US. He has the Tuscarora RR. Here is the blog not sure if there is a track plan but you can do a smaller version of it. http://tuscarorarailroad.blogspot.com/2009_08_01_archive.html

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Welcome... the boys are right live steam really needs a loop... I do like the layout though I must say - operational interest there

AFGadd

CME - Bodgit & Scarper Engineering
25 Sep 2011
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Many thanks for the responses, it useful to get input before I start work.

And as much as I agree whole-heartedly with the comments about a continuous loop I am restricted to how much I am "allowed" to encroach the lawn. I do believe however, that once I'm up and run (and I complete some of the project) that the management views may be more sympathetic to a second balloon loop?
The plan allows for that, and I can very simply a mirrored version of the existing balloon loop into the terminus. I won't even need to change the points, the plan uses right hand at the moment and would continue to use right hand if I change the plan....

Made a better plan using AnyRail, thanks Gizzy....

Route002.jpg

Route003.jpg

annieshalt

garden railways
24 Oct 2009
CLEVELAND
Best answers
HI ANDREW, NOW THE LAST TRACK PLAN LOOKS PERFECT. ON MY LINE I CAN HAVE CONTINUAL RUNNING AND ON A QUIET DAY THERE IS NOTHING BETTER THAN JUST SITTING BACK WITH A BREW AND WATCHING A LOCO OR TWO RUNNING.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR LINE. ALLAN.:clap::clap::clap:

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
That second plan looks great...

dudley

All model railways
21 Mar 2010
lowestoft
Best answers
looking good, get some track down and have a play, just to see the engine in motion will spur you on. good luck.

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome and i vote for plan B

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Andrew & welcome. For the sake of one more point and a length of straight track from the lower loop you would be able to run both continiously and A to B . I plan to do this on my own railway when the kids get that bit older and need less lawn to play on!