David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
This is another of my LGB Toytrain wagon conversions, in this case the Toytrain high sided open wagon into a tarpauline wagon.

xdig 130217001.JPG
This is the starting point.  The wagon comes in a variety of colours and toy liveries.  The illustrations start out as the red Soda Express, but that was actually used for a different conversion.  As can be seen the actual subject for this conversion was a yellow version.

xdig 150526001.JPG
The first task is to completely dismantle the model.  The balcony rail and brake stand can be cofined to the spares box.  The balcony planking then has to be CAREFULLY sawn off and the area cleaned up.

xdig 150526002.JPG

xdig 150526003.JPG
The next part to attack with the saw is the body as it needs to be extended.  I start by carving off any bits of extraneous moulding and, after rubbing flat, I rescribe the planking. The body is then sawn through. In this photograph the cut in the wagon sides was somewhat random, as being destined for atnother model, the whole side was to be cut out. 

xdig 130217003.JPG
For this conversion, as can be seen in the `yellow` photograph, the saw cuts need to be very precise.  The floor and sides are now extended by the insertion of plasticard which is then scribed to match the planking and woodgrain.  An extra lenghth of upright strapping is required because of the extended length.  This was a piece plasticard channel.  You will note that on the original the vertical strapping alternates between channel and plain. I add thin strips of plasticard strip to the sides of the plain strapping to create a uniform appearance.  The handrail holes in the balcony end are filled in.  The tarpaulin rail brackets and lamp irons are GRS items.  The rail is a length of bent wire coat hanger.  The tie down cleats for the tarpaulin, are squares of plasticard with brass wire inserted.  The axle guards are bent and filed brass strip.

xdig 150523002.JPG
The frame is finished off with a hand brake lever from plasticard strip and the wheels are replaced with AL Kramer solid brass jobs, super heavy for low down centre of gravity.

xdig 150526006.JPG
A paint job and lettering complete the job.

I hope that you agree that the conversion makes a nice, and in this case probabley unique (so far) model out of a `toy`.  I have more conversions in hand if anyone is interested.

David

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Another great conversion, David.
Yes please, love to see more.

Rik

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Glad to see I'm not the only one doing this

https://www.gscalecentral.net/index.php?topic=265256.msg265256;topicseen#msg265256

and your conversion looks fantastic!! The little finishing touches make a huge difference

Keep the how to posts coming

Dan

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Very good. I have one of these wagons in a sad state of repair, you have given me a great way to rejuvenate it.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Just an idea, someone showed on here a long time ago. For a canvas try using a handkerchief, dyed and then saturated in pva. It will hold the shape once set (use a thin plastic sheet to protect the wagon from the glue until dry, then peel from the inside of the 'tarp')

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
nicebutdim said:
Just an idea, someone showed on here a long time ago. For a canvas try using a handkerchief, dyed and then saturated in pva. It will hold the shape once set (use a thin plastic sheet to protect the wagon from the glue until dry, then peel from the inside of the 'tarp')
Or use the sheeting that the aircraft modellers use?

I believe you can use a hot air gun on a low setting to 'shape' it....

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
Or use the sheeting that the aircraft modellers use?

I believe you can use a hot air gun on a low setting to 'shape' it....
This stuff? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LITESPAN-LIGHT-MODEL-AIRCRAFT-COVERING-ORANGE-/131516650875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e9f00d57b

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I may settle for a folded up tarpaulin in a corner of the wagon. Why would you want to cover up and hide all the detail, it would defeat the object of all that sawing, filing and bending in the firsr place?

David

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
David1226 said:
I may settle for a folded up tarpaulin in a corner of the wagon. Why would you want to cover up and hide all the detail, it would defeat the object of all that sawing, filing and bending in the firsr place?

David
Yes, but if it goes out empty, it ought to come back full!! :eek: ;) :D :happy: :happy:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The tarpaulin wagon escapes into the fresh air.

xdig 150618001.JPG

xdig 150618008.JPG

David

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Tarpaulin wagon No 9 was one of the rake of 5 wagons that I submitted into the rolling stock category of the G Scale Society modelling competition at G-Rail 2016

dig 160321002.JPG

David

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
dig 150618001.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
It was over five years ago that I created this tarpaulin wagon for the Claptowte Railway. I had always intended to create a folded tarpaulin to place inside the wagon but I never got around to it. I was recently cutting up an old cotton bedsheet, that I had previously used as a dust sheet while decorating, when I thought it would be an ideal material from which to fabricate a tarpaulin cover. I cut an appropriate size piece of the sheet, to cover the wagon. I ran this under the tap to soak it then squeezed out most of the water. I smoothed it flat, onto a piece of kitchen tinfoil, then stippled white PVA glue into the fabric and left it to dry. Before it was fully dry, and still pliable, I folded into the desired shape to represent a folded tarpaulin, and left it to dry and set shape. When dry I gave it a good spray with grey primer, making sure I got into all the nooks and crannies and folds. When this was dry I brush painted it with some dark grey enamel paint. Hey presto, one genuine canvas tarpaulin.

dig 200920005.JPG

dig 200920006.JPG

dig 200920007.JPG

dig 200920008.JPG

David

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag