• Love
Reactions: 6 users

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Today SWMBO said it would look better with a glass fence instead of the Wooden railing fence I have at the moment :wondering::wondering: so took the panels down to see what it would like .

train01 27-05.jpg

The castle rocks got extended, as well and I have finally started to add a wall capping to the raised border I built 20 odd years ago :rofl: does look better without a solid fence. Brain wave time the tonne of stone I bought came on a pallet in a round wire cage :) so used that wire which is 50mm x 50mm x 3mm thick to see what it would look like..

train03 27-05.jpg

It would work and it was free :wondering: I could take the middle post out and then build a wooden frame to support the mesh in the pic below you can see why I have a fence :) the destructive squad would flatten everything playing ball :) especially the innocent looking one in the Red collar The shifty looking one on the Right flattens plants sniffing the flowers..

train02 27-05.jpg

Finished the track support on the second rockery on the Left now I just need to make bridges to fill the holes up.

train04 27-05.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I do hope the adage about dogs and their owners looking alike is not true!
:p;):giggle::giggle:

Reactions: 1 users

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I do hope the adage about dogs and their owners looking alike is not true!
:p;):giggle::giggle:

What ever do you mean lol the one on the right looks cute :)

Reactions: 1 user

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Decided on what / how to build new dog fence first section done to test it, wire mesh on order to do the rest that surrounds the train tracks.

train 03 12-06.jpg
More civil engineering under way to take the track along the house rear wall, first section done think it's a bit over engineered really..

train01 12-06.jpg

Playing with what to cover the wood with, roofing felt with grass down either side, not sure yet.. the board will get a front edging strip when it's finished.

train o2 12-06.jpg

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
A New Line is Born......well not quite yet but after 3 months of re-laying paving slabs, building raised borders etc. I have at last laid some track all 3.1m of it :rofl: but every line has to start somewhere. I was in two minds whether to wait to spring or lay it now, with winter around the corner it does seem odd time to start outside.
The ballast is Horticultural grit, I am sure it will rain this week so I can see how much wash's away before I decide to go out and buy more and what color it changes too, it's not quite the right color but so far it is all I have found in our local garden centers.
The Large gravel at the back will get replaced with plant's etc. but it stops the weed barrier blowing away at the moment :)

View attachment 215345
not sure what horticultural grit is but here in the states we can get chicken grit and most of the stuff is crushed granite can't get more real looking than that, I use chick size for walk ways (smaller) and grower for rails
d1281436f29f71ccdb9072ce78b0a7cd.jpg
fb482dcfc97e1a08833b183e0cf417ec.jpg

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Decided I could 3D print the Bridges this is going to be a long job :(

train02 30-06-2018.jpg

One section down and a lot more to go

train03 30-06-2018.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
? Would making a mould from your 3D prints and casting in resin be an option / quicker?

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
4 Sections built only 10 more to make.

Train01 01-07-2018.jpg

? Would making a mould from your 3D prints and casting in resin be an option / quicker?

Yep it would be I was not that clever :) I just started printing the sections before I thought about how many hours it would actually take to print them all

Last edited:

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Drill your railing posts before assy and after painting string piano wire through holds, it rusts up real neat. Excellent job, Bill

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Drill your railing posts before assy and after painting string piano wire through holds, it rusts up real neat. Excellent job, Bill

The holes are all ready printed in the railing posts 2mm dia and I have ordered brass rods for the hand railing so rusting will have to be painted rust :(

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
The holes are all ready printed in the railing posts 2mm dia and I have ordered brass rods for the hand railing so rusting will have to be painted rust :(
Well that is just too neat, just let the brass corrode it will look better than rust

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
In case anybody wondered what happen to this Line, wifey 1.0 decided to become ex wifey 1.0 after 41 years, so all work stopped on it's progress as it will have to move to a new home one day along with me when this place goes on the market, then I will start all over again if I get somewhere with a Garden to suit building it all again.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Decided on what / how to build new dog fence first section done to test it, wire mesh on order to do the rest that surrounds the train tracks.

View attachment 238843
More civil engineering under way to take the track along the house rear wall, first section done think it's a bit over engineered really..

View attachment 238844

Playing with what to cover the wood with, roofing felt with grass down either side, not sure yet.. the board will get a front edging strip when it's finished.

View attachment 238845

Now that you have gone through the work of building the wire fence, may I make a suggestion ? It would be less visible if it were painted black.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
In case anybody wondered what happen to this Line, wifey 1.0 decided to become ex wifey 1.0 after 41 years, so all work stopped on it's progress as it will have to move to a new home one day along with me when this place goes on the market, then I will start all over again if I get somewhere with a Garden to suit building it all again.
That's very sad

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes sorry also to hear that somewhat belatedly. What occurred to the 2 Boxers?

Very late answer I only Just spotted your question, we was having one each but somebody decided to change her mind, so I have them both, so trains will still run this year here, while I think about where to move to with two Boxers now, they both like sunbathing and watching the trains run :D

boxers.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Very late answer I only Just spotted your question, we was having one each but somebody decided to change her mind, so I have them both, so trains will still run this year here, while I think about where to move to with two Boxers now, they both like sunbathing and watching the trains run :D

View attachment 252367
You certainly lucked out keeping both of the Boxers. What superb beasts they are.