The Budget Builder, part II - alleywood

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Alleywood" is a traditional term used to describe a building materials that you didn't have to pay for - construction scraps, broken pallets, furniture factory discards, old broken fence posts, etc. ie. any odd bits of wood you might find in an alley.... are alleywood

Today, we can easily stretch the definition to include wood coffee stirrers, discarded advertising stuff of any material (acrylic, coroplast, etc), and even plastic or foam packaging from some product.

Most often for a model you don't NEED big pieces, just lots of little ones. Alleywood is generally short bits that other folks didn't want anyway

Need stripwood but can only find an old board? Pull the nails and rip a with a saw. (use a fence and a pusher stick for small work - safety first!)

Need a building to be more rigid? Back the joints with triangles of alleywood. Or a big chunk in the base can add weight to keep it from moving with the wind.

Need roof trusses? Triangles made of old plywood are fast and easy.

Even stuff that was metal in the real world, like girder bridges, can be modeled from alleywood. Just seal it good and paint it.

Need walls or roof parts? Outdated advertising signs come in many sizes and are easily cut down.

Need window 'glass'? Look at that blister pack you were going to toss out again....

And the best part? It didn't cost you a thing!

Rob s

trains, R/C models, 4x4 off roading, motor sport
24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
:D:clap::clap:

In the UK look out for skips on the higway for scrap
once in it (the new roads and street works act & the highways act) it belongs to the skip company.

And believe me.they do not mind if you lighten the load :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I do the same myself - nothing is discarded unless it has no use other use than for melting down.
The best piece of equipment I ever purchased was the table saw, followed by other types of power saw. Sawdust for the hen house, kindling for the stove, trellissing for the garden, bridges and buildings for the railway - endless list (even got all eight fingers intact!) - and all from "waste".

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
This 5 year old sawmill building is entirely made from pallets and bean tins - the only new items were the pins to hold the roof on, the windows (which I cast myself) and the fence preservative to colour the timber which I had left over. Oh, and the glue for the timber.

62de17dfdcf84841bd0390d542f1b861.jpg

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
cracking building!!!:clap:

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
hi mate.i have quite lots of skips hanging around my area just near me..it take me 4 mins to walk there..ave a good look at the skips...loads of fresh pallets..mdf sheets..plastic cladding!!
i have been making a signs for my railroadin out from strong wood shelfs!
i have been making a trellis and arches from down the road where oap left wood at his garden
some of i kitbashing fews building from wood tht skips full of chucks!!. aslo loads and loads of mdf in the skips every nite in factory sites..what a waste! lol.

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Funnily enough I went to our new offices this morning which are in the process of being rennovated. Did a quick recky and scrounged a load of offcuts from UPVC moudlings and cladding pieces.

The guy managing the building project was only too happy to let me take it off his hands.