The Barrel of Fun wine barrel microlayout

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Time to share this, began it over Christmas when instead of doing yardwork I was cowering under a 90+ degree heatwave. Started with a barrel half that have intended to use for this for a couple years but never got around to until now. Built my own brackets from 1x4s and 1x2s on the barrel planter and used my next to last 31" circle of track. The barrel is on a roller base so I can move it around.

2335a_6a12.jpg

Couple detail pics of the brackets. I pre-drilled the holes thru the 1x2s and countersunk for the screw heads to prevent splitting, which can be an issue with thin wood like that. I also pre-drilled the hole for the track fastener for the same reason. The 1x2s laid flat give a nice wider platform for the track. I used 8 brackets total for good support.

233c4_6e44.jpg

Someone smarter than me suggested filling in the bottom with a false bottom or filling it with styrofoam to take up space and lighten it up. So...three Lil Big Hauler box fillers later. Will use sand to fill it so it will drain better than the adobe hard dirt we have.

23407_e656.jpg

Two bags of sand laying around, rocks from the pile, gravel topping. I added rocks sculpturally I have and infilled the top with crushed gravel. In keeping with my tradition of using whatever the hell is available when I build, I then hacked together two structures using some treated lumber scraps, looks reasonable if you squint. I have a couple ideas to reduce their brutality. Next over time I will sort in small succulents into the nooks and crannies. But it's getting close. Best part of this is that so far I haven't spent a dime on this, everything used was either recycled or just laying around.

2340f_0966.jpg

Latest additions to the Barrel of Fun , the 2018 Mik's Building Challenge Hole in the Head mine is added, along with a couple little extras and some succulents as color.

23a89_6016.jpg

23a91_f2d4.jpg

23a9d_77e6.jpg

23a99_8657.jpg

23aa1_0975.jpg

This last pic is my favorite, it's nothing elaborate but I can't help but smile a wide grin whenever I look at this photo.

Reactions: 15 users

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Nice to see your ingenuity at work again!

Reactions: 1 user

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
A fun project and a very successful one too. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:.......:clap::clap::clap:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Love the brutaly simplistic Buildings, they not only add to the fun of ths projecy but look just the part. A lesson for us all here cheep inexpensive effective buildings for next to or nothing. Well except a bit of muscle power with a saw!

vsmith

24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks guys, I had been wanting to do this ever since HLW came out with their barrel kit. Its come out better than I expected.

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Love it. Love it love it. Great idea. Turned out awesome. Thanks for sharing this project.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Time to share this, began it over Christmas when instead of doing yardwork I was cowering under a 90+ degree heatwave. Started with a barrel half that have intended to use for this for a couple years but never got around to until now. Built my own brackets from 1x4s and 1x2s on the barrel planter and used my next to last 31" circle of track. The barrel is on a roller base so I can move it around.

2335a_6a12.jpg

Couple detail pics of the brackets. I pre-drilled the holes thru the 1x2s and countersunk for the screw heads to prevent splitting, which can be an issue with thin wood like that. I also pre-drilled the hole for the track fastener for the same reason. The 1x2s laid flat give a nice wider platform for the track. I used 8 brackets total for good support.

233c4_6e44.jpg

Someone smarter than me suggested filling in the bottom with a false bottom or filling it with styrofoam to take up space and lighten it up. So...three Lil Big Hauler box fillers later. Will use sand to fill it so it will drain better than the adobe hard dirt we have.

23407_e656.jpg

Two bags of sand laying around, rocks from the pile, gravel topping. I added rocks sculpturally I have and infilled the top with crushed gravel. In keeping with my tradition of using whatever the hell is available when I build, I then hacked together two structures using some treated lumber scraps, looks reasonable if you squint. I have a couple ideas to reduce their brutality. Next over time I will sort in small succulents into the nooks and crannies. But it's getting close. Best part of this is that so far I haven't spent a dime on this, everything used was either recycled or just laying around.

2340f_0966.jpg

Latest additions to the Barrel of Fun , the 2018 Mik's Building Challenge Hole in the Head mine is added, along with a couple little extras and some succulents as color.

23a89_6016.jpg

23a91_f2d4.jpg

23a9d_77e6.jpg

23a99_8657.jpg

23aa1_0975.jpg

This last pic is my favorite, it's nothing elaborate but I can't help but smile a wide grin whenever I look at this photo.

ONLY FROM THE MIND OF VIC SMITH.....:think:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks guys, I had been wanting to do this ever since HLW came out with their barrel kit. Its come out better than I expected.

Vic, is the tight radius track still available ?

vsmith

24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Vic, is the tight radius track still available ?

Not for years now, when Aristo did the Big Firework this stuff dried up. I had a couple circles squirreled away. This leaves just one left.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Not for years now, when Aristo did the Big Firework this stuff dried up. I had a couple circles squirreled away. This leaves just one left.

Thanks Vic.

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Vic,it appears you have come up with the goods yet again:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag