Thats torn it!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I am no expert but that ebay item is misleading. I recon you could get out of that deal - worth a moan to ebay at any rate. Did you use Paypal. Open a dispute, Tell them you were misled.

5H17

Railways and Diesel preservation, American cars
25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
www.fourfooteightandahalf.com
Best answers
It IS misleading, but then I spose i shoulda read it properly. Doesnt make it right though.
Having said that, ive fitted it now. Took me 6 hours and a lot of headscratching, and two trips to maplins!

But hey...Twerx!

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
By the way. When fitting DCC to a diseasel, the power bogies are opposite ways round. You do NOT wire the pickups red to red and black to black.

You guys invariably know this already. I just spent 4 hours trying to suss out where my short was coming from.

Sometimes, my stupidity knows no bounds whatsoever. What a brain surgeon!

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
Oh and before anyone asks. Yes. Once I had worked out the black to red and vice versa thing, I did indeed try it.

And yes. Both bogies did indeed run in opposite directions. You dont go blue to blue or green to green either :rofl:

Feel free to have a good chuckle at my expense :clap:

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Hey, Dave I'm not laughing at your expense. You'll always remember that experience, what's more you checked and discovered how to fix it before blowing the chip.

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
Tearing my poor hair out I was. Took me a while to figure out just how dumb I could be...but youre right, ill remember that in future.

Anyway...tis all finished now. Lights and the lot. Quite chuffed with it.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
5H17 said:
Oh and before anyone asks. Yes. Once I had worked out the black to red and vice versa thing, I did indeed try it.

And yes. Both bogies did indeed run in opposite directions. You dont go blue to blue or green to green either :rofl:

Feel free to have a good chuckle at my expense :clap:

if anyones chuckling, its because they have done the same..i know i have:rofl::rofl:

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
That makes me feel better at least ;)

One thing though...the cab light seems really bright? Is it worth chucking a resistor in there somewhere?

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
depends on how youve wireid it.. but short asnwer, yes, or bigger bulb?

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
Thanks Mike. I was quite surprised at just how bright all the lamps were, and i didnt want to fry anything. Just to be sure, I put the cablight on F1 as a separate thing, for now.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
depending on the make of chip, some are set to full track power, some(lgbmts2) are set to 5 volts.. you can alter thee voltage on the chip by altering the corisponding cv .. but sometimes its plain simpler to swap bulbs/ad a resister...:D

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
mike said:
you can alter thee voltage on the chip by altering the corisponding cv

Ahhh now that I didnt know.
Im probably going to use my Lenz system outdoors (pretty basic thing, but it works), but im pretty sure my Dynamis is capable of CV writing. CV's are a whole new world to me...more reading required i guess.

One other thing...how do I know find the current draw of the smoke unit? Its the only thing i didnt wire up yesterday cause I figured it might be quite high, but ive since found a site that reckons its only 500ma. One of the function outputs should be capable of powering that, am I right?

Oh and is there a way to tell between a 5v smoke unit and a higher voltage one? If its a 5v one, can I also set that in the CV's?

Questions, questions, newbie questions. Sorry folks :(

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Dave, I don't think the Digitrax decoders have cv's to adjust the lighting voltage (unlike LGB, Massoth and some others). You'll need to consider a resistor if you want to lower the brightness or to use LEDs. See the Digitrax Decoder Manual http://www.digitrax.com/v1/ftp/Decoder Manual.pdf

To avoid problems with smoke units overloading decoder function outputs, some people use a relay. Personally I don't bother - I just leave the smoke unit directly wired to the pickups via the original on/off switch and any voltage regulator. Also avoids any uncertainty about whether or not the smoke unit is on or off under DC power.

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
ntpntpntp said:
Dave, I don't think the Digitrax decoders have cv's to adjust the lighting voltage (unlike LGB, Massoth and some others). You'll need to consider a resistor if you want to lower the brightness or to use LEDs. See the Digitrax Decoder Manual http://www.digitrax.com/v1/ftp/Decoder Manual.pdf

Ahh. Thankyou. I havent waded through all 78 pages of it yet, but resistors are probably just as easy anyway.

To avoid problems with smoke units overloading decoder function outputs, some people use a relay. Personally I don't bother - I just leave the smoke unit directly wired to the pickups via the original on/off switch and any voltage regulator. Also avoids any uncertainty about whether or not the smoke unit is on or off under DC power.

Good point. Ill give that a whirl. To be honest I dont even know if the smoke works. Ive never used it!

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
Not yet. I havent braved the smoke unit for now. Been working all week, and had yesterday off to spend the day finishing off the clearing of the garden. Ill get stuck in one evening this week.