DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
GC Post Fake Trees
So you have just tidied up the Garden in preparation for the Great Open Day. The line is looking good, but you just did not have time to put any Miniature Trees in. You look at the pile of Conifer Cuttings, you wonder and wish.

Well here is a Temporary Solution. I have used this trick many times in the past and it does work for a surprisingly long time. Select a suitable amount of those Conifer Cuttings, if you do not have any I am sure that a Tree that you have could do with some pruning or even ask a neighbor.  Then trim the Bottom of the Cuttings, plonk into the ground - instant free trees. The first picture shows the specimen that was cut down. Picture two shows the result, these will stay pretty fresh for a month or so. Maybee even longer.

Before you ask I am not sure what this original specimen was, it came from the Ruschbahn when I visited the carnage that was occurring there last week. I trimmed it down from about 5 foot to a respectable half size. The resulting cuttings being around that too.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Show us some pictures of how you have interpreted this idea at your Open Day.
JonD

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
Who knows, if you keep watering them perhaps some of them will take root.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I suppose that I could strip a bit of the bark at the bottom and try some Hormone Rooting Powder, nothing ventured. But I believe that for Conifer Cuttings one needs a small part torn off with Rooting Powder and the win rate is not that high.
JonD

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Or you could google how to do it.....

http://www.gardens4you.co.uk/index.php?/Garden-Tips/Propagation/Propagating-your-conifer-cuttings

http://www.ehow.com/how_8271700_grow-conifers-cuttings.html

I have a sneaking suspicion it is easier to grow from cuttings than from seed... Some nice looking pines in my local nursery, wait till no one is looking, plunge fingers into pot and its obvious the roots are coming from a cutting.... Voice behind me asks can they help and never to be caught for a rejoinder respond " just trying to see what the roots are like you know, for bonsai"...

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Trev, added to Home Screen for when I get a round tuit.
JonD

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Err, I cut off a branch of a dwarf conifer that was getting in the way of trains and basically stuffed it into the ground. It is now a handsome specimen wheras the provider has died. O0

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
All my Leylandii are second generation (from clippings) - I only bought six to start with and they are all dead and gone! SWMBO now has a collection of Box clippings ready to plant out.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
pugwash said:
Err, I cut off a branch of a dwarf conifer that was getting in the way of trains and basically stuffed it into the ground. It is now a handsome specimen wheras the provider has died. O0
Sometimes you just get lucky with plants. I guess that they have two chances:-
Live
Die
In your case you got one of each. Hopefully it was a good result.
JonD

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I used plastic imitations but never checked if they were intended for outdoors. As a result I now have 'autumnal' shades where the exposed wire ends of the branches have rusted. :D

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
KeithT said:
I used plastic imitations but never checked if they were intended for outdoors. As a result I now have 'autumnal' shades where the exposed wire ends of the branches have rusted. :D

That could be very prototyical - don't rose trees suffer from rust? :happy:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
KeithT said:

That sounds interesting, can we have a pic please.

Just as an update to my original forum, the dead cuttings are still as fresh as the day I planted them. That is getting on for a Month ago now.
JonD