Taita Gorge Visit to the Ride On

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
In our area, there are a few 'Ride On' miniature railways. Always been out of my league (size, cost etc etc.), but I still acknowledge them. One such club, the Hutt Valley Model Engineering Society, this weekend celebrated their 60th anniversary. Since I've been lurking around there since it opened, I thought it would be rude not to put in an appearance.

I took along my latest 7/8ths creation, mainly to show to a fellow forumite (who dabbles in this ride on stuff, as well), and to take a photo or two to show some size difference. One of the quirks of their multigauge track, is that from the outside of one of the rails, to the inside of another, there is a 'gauge' of one and three quarter inches.... in young folks speak, that's 45mm. So, my critter had something to sit on.

DSC_0739.JPG

Interesting point.... both models are near as damn a similar scale of about inch to the foot (give or take).

DSC_0741.JPG

Ben's runner for the day, was his 3½ inch battery powered 'Critter'. Both of us were visitors to this event, but we were made welcome, and they showed an interest in what we had.

DSC_0740.JPG

Long time members to this forum will be familiar with the NZR Dubs 'A'..... well, here's one in live steam, visiting from 'overseas' no less (Christchurch NZ). The owner was due to sail back home later in the day.

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
But wait, there's more.

Star of the show, D&RGW K-36 482 in 7.25 inch gauge, and what's more, locally built.

DSC_0737.JPG

...and at the other end of the scale, Ben with his critter in action. This track is on the formation of the original. It is 'slip formed' paving that replaced the old 55 year old cinder brick and timber pile arrangement which simply 'wore out', it is, afterall, located on the beachfront (hence the station name Beach)

DSC_0742.JPG

Ah well, 'nother Bank Holiday over, back to work tomorrow, with a forecast temperature at home of 28°C, I think it will be trains after tea.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
In our area, there are a few 'Ride On' miniature railways. Always been out of my league (size, cost etc etc.), but I still acknowledge them. One such club, the Hutt Valley Model Engineering Society, this weekend celebrated their 60th anniversary. Since I've been lurking around there since it opened, I thought it would be rude not to put in an appearance.

I took along my latest 7/8ths creation, mainly to show to a fellow forumite (who dabbles in this ride on stuff, as well), and to take a photo or two to show some size difference. One of the quirks of their multigauge track, is that from the outside of one of the rails, to the inside of another, ther is a 'gauge' of one and three quarter inches.... in young folks speak, that's 45mm. So, my critter had something to sit on.

View attachment 260784

Interesting point.... both models are near as damn a similar scale of about inch to the foot (give or take).

View attachment 260785

Ben's runner for the day, was his 3½ inch battery powered 'Critter'. Both of us were visitors to this event, but we were made welcome, and they showed an interest in what we had.

View attachment 260786

Long time members to this forum will be familiar with the NZR Dubs 'A'..... well, here's one in live steam, visiting from 'overseas' no less (Christchurch NZ). The owner was due to sail back home later in the day.
Nice line, the K36 is a beauty. Having helped lay some of the track on my local line I took the opportunity to do the same thing with one of my Battery Locomotives, but here I was able to get a good run. There were no big ones about at this stage. Here is wizzy cranks doing some running. Would be a great way to have some good long runs but you need to do something at points and crossings, not too tricky with some small thin metal bent plates I reckon. Will be looking at this some time in the future but for now it is an additional side line and I do not like to leave Barney for too long.