Taita Gorge Railway

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0854.JPG

Well, a month has gone by since my previous posting. The demand for coal has dropped off, but, train service is still being maintained on the Taita Gorge Railway. I did try mocking up a skeleton frame cab, but it was going to be just too fragile, so open cab she will remain. This shot was yesterday's run.

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 264871

Well, a month has gone by since my previous posting. The demand for coal has dropped off, but, train service is still being maintained on the Taita Gorge Railway. I did try mocking up a skeleton frame cab, but it was going to be just too fragile, so open cab she will remain. This shot was yesterday's run.
But as Madman said in another post, you've been paid to fill the loco........

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Today, I started wintering down the railway, tonight being the calender start to winter. After the trimming and weeding et al, was done, I tested a concept for my 7/8ths endeavours. Got the mine cars all up and running, then thoughts turned to other supplies for mining..... Pit Props, yes, mines use a lot of timber, so out with the logging disconnects. Them logs measure about 16 scale feet in 7/8ths, sawn in half, they'd be 8 foot... a reasonable size for mine use. Also played around with a Bachmann wagon underframe. It's getting smaller wheels, link and pin couplers, and will be denuded of things like brake gear and linkages. Already looking through plans for a body to mount on it. The existing body, well that was the tank wagon, it's now going to be stuffed (it is now) and mounted as a stationary water tank.

DSC_0870.JPG

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Been spending so much time lately on my 7/8ths adventures, decided to give everything else a dose of the winter air down here, lest those items go into permanent hibernation.
Outback required a quick weed and leaf removal, along with scraping off some pigeon poo, and it was all go..

DSC_0902.JPG

Pure photography, straight from the camera..... no tilt or enhancement necessary.

DSC_0903 _2_.JPG

Back out the front, Critter on the Beer Shunt, and FA on the Main.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0904.JPG

You know the rules... once you have finished some maintenance, you have to do a test run, or three.

Edit. Rain stopped play.
Extra Edit. The Umpires have deemed conditions fit to resume play.

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0982.JPG

Summer preparation has seen some growth cut back, thus allowing me access to previously unattainable areas for photos. Bit of ballast profiling required, and the leaf blower, then roll on the rest of summer.

DSC_0981.JPG

View from 'out front'. Some of the shrubs had taken to stabbing me when doing maintenance.... so I showed them who's boss.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
That top shot bugged me. It shows quite clearly the tilting cab that didn't go back together properly after I took some parts off for painting.
I was playing around trying to figure what I had done. Loosened a few screws, accidently pushed the cab forward, and 'click'.... one of the keeper tabs had not been forced home, and it wouldn't go in because I had tightened a screw up before the cab was finally in place. It's all fixed now.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
After a while, one works up a thirst. Climax 1203 pulling up for a drink this afternoon with the first post Christmas logger.

DSC_1003.JPG

Actually, it is good drinking weather here (I know, any time is good drinking weather), the wireless is on the Cricket, and DiL had the good sense to give me a 'sampler' pack of craft beers from Santa.... time to 'experiment' with some fancy brews.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Wish I was allowed to drink:)

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Don't try to short change me......

Most of you will be wondering what I'm blabbering about. Reaumur is yet another temperature scale, where 80°R is the boiling point of water. A French concoction, I believe.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
How many other garden railways out there have celebrated their 21st birthday ?

Yes, Taita Gorge Railway is 21 years old today, and to celebrate, some of the old stock was set out for a run,

DSC_1005.JPG

To toast the occassion, I tried another of the sample brews, this time an APA (American Pale Ale). Must say, it was better than the IPA (India Pale Ale). Tomorrow will be a different beer.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Wheeling out the BBQ to set up for diner, I spied another 'that will make a nice shot'.

DSC_1006.JPG

No exposure changes, only 1° tilt. Straight ahead is the train shed, and a busted front coupler if the door is not open. How do I know?
Still in running original stock mode today.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
In this sweltering weather, one quickly learns to get the chores on the railway done early morning, then sit back in the shade, run trains, and perhaps take a photo or two.

DSC_1030.JPG

Old No.1 laid up in the log siding, as No.2 comes around Forest Bend with a work train. The ol' prospector is still trying his luck. Now, years ago with traditional photography, I would have needed a damned good darkroom to get this sort of light balance.

DSC_1031.JPG

Unretouched 'arty' shot of No.2 at the same time.