Best answers
Country flag

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

Extract from the Taita Gorge Garden Rail Working Timetable (Dated 23 Sept 2014)

Petticoat Junction

Signalling

A signal, numbered 990, has been installed on the Reverse Loop at Petticoat Junction.
This signal is for the assistance of Eastbound trains running on the Reverse Loop, and will indicate the polarity setting for trains entering the Mainline.
When a Danger, Stop (Red) indication is showing, the Mainline polarity for Eastbound trains is incorrectly set. Trains must NOT pass this signal at Red.
A Clear, Proceed (Green) indication will show that polarity is correctly set, and trains may pass in accordance with operating procedures.
This signal will NOT be lit when there are no trains running under track power.

I need to get a smaller red bulb (that one was the only replacement I could find at the time).
The signal runs off track power, and uses two diodes to set the correct indication

Dark territory now.... the return loop crossover was removed last night.
Since I had removed its opposite on the Outback section, I found it wasn't getting any use. Besides, the points were always jambing up with pine needles, and was getting a spot of bother with electrical continuity.
Turnouts have been cleaned up (garden hose!) and put into stock for 'further use', along with the signal. Massive cost savings too, I was having to replace the DPDT switch, at the grand sum of $NZ5.00 every 5 years due to rust.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Dark territory now.... the return loop crossover was removed last night.
Since I had removed its opposite on the Outback section, I found it wasn't getting any use. Besides, the points were always jambing up with pine needles, and was getting a spot of bother with electrical continuity.
Turnouts have been cleaned up (garden hose!) and put into stock for 'further use', along with the signal. Massive cost savings too, I was having to replace the DPDT switch, at the grand sum of $NZ5.00 every 5 years due to rust.
$NZ5.00 every 5 years, that must be breaking the bank ;)

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Greg, glad to see you've found this..... :angel:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Cyberspace, welcome to my world of garden railways. I hope this has given you some help and inspiration.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
'Can you look after G7 while I take G5 to Gymnastics?'
No worries.
He turns up, bolts straight from the car to the train shed.. Goo Goo, goo goo. That's 18 month old talk for 'Grandad, I want the trains to run'

I duly obliged.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Somebody has to look after the world leaders ;)
The world might be a happier place, if we could distract them with trains to play with!
:D:wasntme:

PhilP

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
The world might be a happier place, if we could distract them with trains to play with!
:D:wasntme:

PhilP
You're probably on the right track there. Mind you once the track/battery power question arises........

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Taita Gorge Railway, proudly Track Powered since 2000 !

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Rod Smith, redirected here to check this forum.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Must be nearly Summer...... TGR has been running all day, in fact still running as the sun sets, waiting to see the firebox glow in my Climax :)