Swift Sixteen Bogies

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
Hello all,

I'm in the process of restoring a second hand scratch build coach and need to acquire some bogies for it. I've been looking at Swift Sixteen's offering and was wondering if anyone knew if the 45mm wheel sets they supply are insulated?

Many thanks,
Ricky

bazzer42

oo 80's, WW1, Rupert Bear, beer
1 Nov 2009
Royal Forest of Dean
Best answers
If you rely on weight of evidence - yes they are, accucraft with plastic centres. The swift sixteen bogies require the removal of one wheel from the axle to add the brass sleeve / bearing.
As a satisfied customer my well wagon runs a treat.

Steven.T

16mm Scale NG
27 Dec 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Best answers
Although I run 32mm, I have used 45mm bogies on my Grandads railway, and as above, they are insulated, and make lovely sets of bogies!

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
Thank you all for the information, I will have to get myself a set ordered :)

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone used the swift 16 Frame Bogie bogies, I am looking to use a pair under a bashed coach and wondered about tweaking the ride height and possibly cutting off and refitting the axle boxes and springs to reduce the amount they protrude from the bogie frame.
Also wondering how wide the wheels are, I was wondering if anything could be trimmed off the wheels to reduce the overall bogie width?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone used the swift 16 Frame Bogie bogies, I am looking to use a pair under a bashed coach and wondered about tweaking the ride height and possibly cutting off and refitting the axle boxes and springs to reduce the amount they protrude from the bogie frame.
Also wondering how wide the wheels are, I was wondering if anything could be trimmed off the wheels to reduce the overall bogie width?
Hm not had any experience of them, but if they are a kit perhaps the springs could be left off and some thin metal used as bearings?

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Hm not had any experience of them, but if they are a kit perhaps the springs could be left off and some thin metal used as bearings?
Unfortunately the side frame and axlebox/springs are a single piece, just waiting for the parts to arrive to see what tweaking I can do.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Unfortunately the side frame and axlebox/springs are a single piece, just waiting for the parts to arrive to see what tweaking I can do.
Hm nuclear solution may be to sand the axlebox/springs off to achieve your needs.