Summerlands Chuffers - A Personal Opinon

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
chris harnett - 6/12/2009 10:39 PM

Grand idea Tag!The 4MT is basically a big Accucraft single flue gas boiler so the chuffer would possibly work as the oil and steam would simply fall all over the front drivers below the smokebox end. Now given that we run inside too perhaps this needs to be a detachable item, as the only pair ('er indoors and I) to ever clean the track, I am loath to gunk it all up again! There is bags of room to add lead to this engine, adhesion is always an issue in gauge 1 it seems, there are 2 large tanks simply waiting for it! I had a look at an axle pump kit but at near £300 I thought it a mod too expensive, the Regner electric one is sub £100.

You should not get a problem with dirty track – the oil will drip between the rails – as apposed to over every bl00dy thing when it is pushed out of the chimney...

Andy Dower's 'van tender' is featured in an up and coming GardenRail as part of our planned G1 workshop series. This is very cheap and works extremely well. On the other hand, with this gas fired model, why not revert to the simple NG 'squirty bottle' technology. This is comfortable to use, works well and will cost 15 sovs including non return filler and bottle....

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Delboy - 6/12/2009 6:25 PM

Folks,
Thought I'd comment on my recent experience with Summerlands Chuffers. I'm a new boy on the block when it comes to live steam, literally starting in this world about two years ago.
I have been watching YouTube videos on likely chuffers and sound systems, on and off, for about nine months when I stumbled on this particular brand. To cut a long story short, I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago and purchased three different chuffer types for my three locomotives. One for an Accucraft ‘LYN’, one each for the Roundhouse ‘Silver Lady’ and for a ‘Russell’.
I have to say that the installation instructions for all types were more than adequate, even for a guy like me with a next to zero engineering background. The most difficult modification for me was to ‘Russell’. Once you figured out how to actually get at the original exhaust pipe, the rest was pretty basic. The recommendation to “measure twice and cut once” is one that I’ll recommend to anyone. If I hadn’t followed this piece of advice I would have cut the original exhaust in the wrong place. However, it would have meant that, in this instance, I would have to have made another cut to the remaining length, as opposed to wishing I had never started the venture!
The Accucraft ‘LYN’ I would have to say gained the most benefits with the modification. With the original exhaust fitted, one constantly had oily water ejecting out over the smoke stack at initial start or when the locomotive came to a stop for more than a couple of seconds . . all in a most un-prototypical manner. With the Summerlands Chuffer installed, all that water and steam etc is now sent down the stack (no mess Charlie). Together with the vastly improved chuffing sound, volumes of steam (read smoke) exiting the smoke stack, improved burner modification, she’s an excellent performer all round. That’s not to detract in any way from the Roundhouse models, far from it.
On the Welcoming page of Summerlands website there is a sentence that begins, “So if you fancy adding a new dimension to your garden railway, . . . . . ”, I’ll finish it by saying, “my experience to date with three different model types has vastly improved the audio/visual functionality of my 16mm live steam. It just brings the locomotive(s) alive.”
An excellent product and in my opinion worth every penny. (You might JUST be able to detect that I am a convert to this product.)
Anyway, these are my personal thoughts on the subject.

I would also like to take this opportunity in thanking Alan Whitaker at PPS Steam Models, for the expeditious manner in which he handled my ‘overseas’ order. I had the goods in my hot little hands within four days of him receiving my payment details. Many thanks Alan.
My thanks also to Chris Bird for his guidance and support with the installation process of the chuffers, and his personal interest shown in my purchase. Very much appreciated.

I am failing to get the picture right with the Lyn.
My Lyn on start up and clearing the cylinders seems to eject all the muck through the hole in the bottom of the smokebox out all over the pony truck platform which in itself makes a considerable mess.

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
I always start my Accucraft Caradoc by placing it on a cradle with a pice of paper towel underneath the smokebox. It is then run until all the condensed water has gone from the cylinders. All the oil and condensate from the cold cylinders collects on the paper towel rather than on the centre of the track. Hence the track stays nice and clean. Just have to watch out for burnt fingers when you lift it onto the track ...

Delboy

Registered
2 Dec 2009
Auckland City, New Zealand
Best answers
Gidday Ron,

Interesting you say that, and you're lucky mate. Whenever I moved LYN either forward or reverse to clean the cylinders out, oily water would bubble up and spill from the chimney.
In fact someone on G Scale Mad (or was it the Yahoo 16mmngm folks) suggested making a funnel with a cap over the top that you could slid over the chimney until it had done its thing. I used to use one and it worked fine. But the Summerlands Chuffer modification has done away with that piece of equipment all together now.

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Hi Delboy,
mine makes such a mess on the pony platform I am contemplating making a removeable channel to slip under the smokebox while the cylinders are clearing to divert the muck onto the track. I give the pony truck platform a wipe before taking it out onto the line currently.

Might not suit Doug but what does it matter if you have a steaming bay.

I also find when running the glunk seems to burn in the smokebox adding to the smoke effect from the funnel. It really does look grand in steam.

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
KeithT - 6/12/2009 10:19 PM

johnsaintjim - 6/12/2009 9:34 AM <p>I second this. My Summerlands Chuffer was an early one and came straight from Chris Bird so I have no experience of PPS but other than that, I agree. The extra dimension has dramatically increased my enjoyment of my Accucraft Lawley.</p><p>Here is the link to my Lawley with the prototype Summerlands Chuffer - and the excellent DJB resonator whistle, which, if you don't have one, is another must.</p><p><span style="widows: 2; text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; border-collapse: separate; font: 16px 'Times New Roman'; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; letter-spacing: normal; color: #000000; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; white-space: pre; font-size: 10px" class="Apple-style-span"><a href="http://www.evensfordandmidland.co.uk/videos">http://www.evensfordandmidland.co.uk/videos</a></span></span></p><p> </p><p>
</p><p><font size="2">That Hunslet is AMAZING.</font></p><p><font size="2">For a couple of seconds at the beginning I thought that you were fooling had dubbed the sound! Sorry!</font></p>

Hi Graham,
just caught up on this video. Lawley did very well up that bank with that load.
For comparison The NA's normally only pull 10 coaches and the maximum bank is 1:30.
Eleven can be put on with SM approval and 12 with CEO approval. Can only recall seeing 12 once and certainly not on a damp or wet day.
All PBR rolling stock is bogie, so 8 wheels per carriage. :clap:

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
<font size="4">Here is a <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggPfjod4f8w">video</a> of my Summerlands chuffer on a Roundhouse Katie.
</font>

Delboy

Registered
2 Dec 2009
Best answers
I took a video of the three trains that I modified. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENLcAsx3ans It's not much but it will give the viewer an idea of the sounds the three locomotives produce. The recording for Lyn does not do it justice for some reason.
And I should point out that the trains are all running on flat and level track. (I need to get the gangers in to sort that track I see.) And yep, they do sound more grunty on an incline!

Jerry Barnes

Garden Railways, Live Steam, Jukeboxes, Record Col
27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have a Summerlands Chuffer on my Aristocraft Mikado, easy install and really adds to the steam experience. Still has great plumes, does still puke stuff out the stack when it starts off though. Did that before, so it was not the chuffer's fault.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Delboy

Registered
2 Dec 2009
Best answers
Hiya Jerry,

Agree with you on how easy these chuffers are to install. Suprised to hear that your Aristocraft Mikado is still belching out the stack though. Then again, I'm not at all familiar with your model.
As I mentioned before, my Accucraft Lyn is performing like a trained ape and behaves itself marvelously. I have to say that the lack of 'plumes' coming out the stacks of my loco's is mainly attributed to the 28 degrees C on the day I took the video. Hotter than a hot thing - well, for us right down under that is!

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Hi all
Thanks for the kind words and great chuffer videos and things.
Jerry, I think you must get condensate defying gravity due to the updraft from those two huge hurners in there!
I managed to get out and steam Countess yesterday using a tiny still camera with an HD video facility - the framing was guesswork but it was fun.
You can see it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxvdIBtix_A Or on the website Cheers Chris