Summerlands Chuffers - A Personal Opinon

Delboy

Registered
2 Dec 2009
Auckland City, New Zealand
Best answers
Folks,
Thought I'd comment on my recent experience with Summerlands Chuffers. I'm a new boy on the block when it comes to live steam, literally starting in this world about two years ago.
I have been watching YouTube videos on likely chuffers and sound systems, on and off, for about nine months when I stumbled on this particular brand. To cut a long story short, I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago and purchased three different chuffer types for my three locomotives. One for an Accucraft ‘LYN’, one each for the Roundhouse ‘Silver Lady’ and for a ‘Russell’.
I have to say that the installation instructions for all types were more than adequate, even for a guy like me with a next to zero engineering background. The most difficult modification for me was to ‘Russell’. Once you figured out how to actually get at the original exhaust pipe, the rest was pretty basic. The recommendation to “measure twice and cut once” is one that I’ll recommend to anyone. If I hadn’t followed this piece of advice I would have cut the original exhaust in the wrong place. However, it would have meant that, in this instance, I would have to have made another cut to the remaining length, as opposed to wishing I had never started the venture!
The Accucraft ‘LYN’ I would have to say gained the most benefits with the modification. With the original exhaust fitted, one constantly had oily water ejecting out over the smoke stack at initial start or when the locomotive came to a stop for more than a couple of seconds . . all in a most un-prototypical manner. With the Summerlands Chuffer installed, all that water and steam etc is now sent down the stack (no mess Charlie). Together with the vastly improved chuffing sound, volumes of steam (read smoke) exiting the smoke stack, improved burner modification, she’s an excellent performer all round. That’s not to detract in any way from the Roundhouse models, far from it.
On the Welcoming page of Summerlands website there is a sentence that begins, “So if you fancy adding a new dimension to your garden railway, . . . . . ”, I’ll finish it by saying, “my experience to date with three different model types has vastly improved the audio/visual functionality of my 16mm live steam. It just brings the locomotive(s) alive.”
An excellent product and in my opinion worth every penny. (You might JUST be able to detect that I am a convert to this product.)
Anyway, these are my personal thoughts on the subject.

I would also like to take this opportunity in thanking Alan Whitaker at PPS Steam Models, for the expeditious manner in which he handled my ‘overseas’ order. I had the goods in my hot little hands within four days of him receiving my payment details. Many thanks Alan.
My thanks also to Chris Bird for his guidance and support with the installation process of the chuffers, and his personal interest shown in my purchase. Very much appreciated.

<p>I second this. My Summerlands Chuffer was an early one and came straight from Chris Bird so I have no experience of PPS but other than that, I agree. The extra dimension has dramatically increased my enjoyment of my Accucraft Lawley.</p><p>Here is the link to my Lawley with the prototype Summerlands Chuffer - and the excellent DJB resonator whistle, which, if you don't have one, is another must.</p><p><span class="Apple-style-span" style="word-spacing: 0px; font: 16px 'Times New Roman'; text-transform: none; color: #000000; text-indent: 0px; white-space: normal; letter-spacing: normal; border-collapse: separate; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; orphans: 2; widows: 2; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 10px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; white-space: pre"><a href="http://www.evensfordandmidland.co.uk/videos">http://www.evensfordandmidland.co.uk/videos</a></span></span></p><p> </p>

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
Haven't tested mine yet- but I have met "Mr Summerlands" aka Chris and can say that he is an extremely nice bloke- who on discovering I only had £20 left at the end of the show when I finally found him let me have a "chuffer" for that. As it happens I managed to catch him after collecting my earnings from the bring & buy stall and paid him the last fiver, but it was still very nice of him!

Must do some testing...

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
johnsaintjim - 6/12/2009 9:34 AM <p>I second this. My Summerlands Chuffer was an early one and came straight from Chris Bird so I have no experience of PPS but other than that, I agree. The extra dimension has dramatically increased my enjoyment of my Accucraft Lawley.</p><p>Here is the link to my Lawley with the prototype Summerlands Chuffer - and the excellent DJB resonator whistle, which, if you don't have one, is another must.</p><p><span style="widows: 2; text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; border-collapse: separate; font: 16px 'Times New Roman'; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; letter-spacing: normal; color: #000000; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; white-space: pre; font-size: 10px" class="Apple-style-span"><a href="http://www.evensfordandmidland.co.uk/videos">http://www.evensfordandmidland.co.uk/videos</a></span></span></p><p> </p><p>
</p><p><font size="2">That Hunslet is AMAZING.</font></p><p><font size="2">For a couple of seconds at the beginning I thought that you were fooling had dubbed the sound! Sorry!</font></p>

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
The Hunslet is battery powered :p

E

Elmtree Line

Still not taken the plunge with chuffers here, but tempted, just not keen on dismantliny any of my steamys :banghead:

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Agreed I had mine in less than 24hrs of talking to Alan. It made my Lady Anne SO much more alive. Given the cost of live steam I am suprised the loco manufacturers haven't cottoned on as it were. A 2.5% cost addition increased my enjoyment maybe 30%. Sound is a huge part of the steam experience at any scale from 16mm to 1:1

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
<p>
brianthesnail96 - 6/12/2009 11:36 AM The Hunslet is battery powered :p
</p><p>:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: </p><p>It is still amazing.:eek: </p>

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
If I remember rightly Paul the Fowlers are more complicated than a Billy.

By the time Keith has done all of his he'll be an expert mind!

E

Elmtree Line

Thanks Matt :rofl: I don't have that many steamys!!!

There's still one or two i don't have ;) ;)

I wouldn't mind fitting one to "Joanna" to see the difference though :D

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Keith looking at the pics I've seen you are far from cack handed! Therfore installing a chuffer is really really easy!! I it to an out of the box L Anne and I am no engineer. Three screws. measure carefully, cur, file, pushon chuffer, reassemble. Go for it honestly if i can anyone can.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
you have to cut the exhaust on roundhouse models and then it pushs on.

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
All depends on how the exhaust is arranged on the 2-6-4T really Chris! Being as it seems to have some Accucraft lineage it's not a screw- in one is it? If it is I'll lend you my Summerlands chuffer so you can see if a.) it'll fit and b.) what it sounds like! Won't be using the Edrig on anything but blocks for a while so no hurry for it back.

GlenF

G Scale, LGB, British 16mm, Live steam and electri
24 Oct 2009
Michigan, USA
www.flickr.com
Best answers
I've got Summerlands Chuffers fitted to three of my locos and I think they're excellent at what they do. And as well as the louder chuff you also get the advantage of no water/oil squirting out the chimney which makes for a much cleaner loco.

However there are some negatives......firstly I find it takes longer to clear the cylinders at the start of a run. Secondly all that water and oil which used to squirt up the chimney now squirts back down into the smokebox and onto the track. You end up with a cleaner loco but wetter and oilier track! And finally you can say goodbye to those nice big exhaust plumes on cold days as this chuffer produces a very wimpy wisp. So you do need to consider the pros and cons.

Some locos are real easy to convert and don't require any cutting or dismantling (such as Edrig/Caradoc) but other installations are a real pain, such as my vintage RH Jack. Had to completely remove the boiler before I could fit the chuffer.

Glen

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
I agree there's a bit less steam, but still plenty......and I too thoroughly endorse the product, it works very well - the others in the fleet will be getting fitted in due course!! :D

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
PS a damp day on a small damp island helps!!!!!! :rofl:

KeithT - 6/12/2009 1:55 PM <p>
</p><p>:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: </p><p>It is still amazing.:eek: </p><p>
</p><p>Thanks Keith. It's a mylocosound card from moonraker (on GSM at least - not sure if he's made it over to here) at <a href="http://www.mylocosound.com/">http://www.mylocosound.com/</a></p><p>I've updated the EMR web page to make it clearer what the locos are. The site is all still under development.</p>

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
johnsaintjim - 6/12/2009 7:59 PM
KeithT - 6/12/2009 1:55 PM <p>
</p><p>:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: </p><p>It is still amazing.:eek: </p><p>
</p><p>Thanks Keith. It's a mylocosound card from moonraker (on GSM at least - not sure if he's made it over to here) at <a href="http://www.mylocosound.com/">http://www.mylocosound.com/</a></p><p>I've updated the EMR web page to make it clearer what the locos are. The site is all still under development.</p><p>
</p><p>I have one of his Diesel soundcards which I haven't got around to fitting.</p><p>I don't think the steam one was out when I got mine. I now fancy one!</p>

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
chris harnett - 6/12/2009 6:07 PM

Ok folks, so now some whizzo has to make a resonator chuffer for that deep throated main line chuff, I am afraid all our stemers are so complex that taking them apart is at least a days work and with model lemaitre exhausts the West Country simply does not chuff. The big RhB consolidation might and the tiny GWR Pannier chuffs for England anyway, now the 4MT might and as it is in bits for me to beef up its footplate and gas tank there is the possibility of looking at it. Is this a slip over device or do you have to cut the exhaust to a specific length re. the position in the funnel? Plenty of space for a whistle between the frames too and a big one!

You have a proper Stephenson front end with blast pipe on your main line Aster locos and the chuff pipe is basically an overblown whistle that sits on a straight exhaust pipe(s) on a gas fired loco that entrains its own air. The exhaust steam from the cylinders is used to 'blow' the 'whistle' and provide the excellent chuff. If you had been at the meeting of the Dartmoor Irregulars this arvo you would have heard my coal fired Edrig raising the rafters (an indoor meet) via blast pipe. It is perhaps less sophisticated ;) than the scale working parts of a West Country smokebox – but all the standard elements are there. It will be interesting to see whether this 4MT has a 'proper' sealed smokebox or an open one like our gas fired NG models. If the later then we could design one for this loco – an afternoon at Andy Dower's should sort it!!

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
johnsaintjim - 7/12/2009 5:59 AM
It's a mylocosound card from moonraker (on GSM at least - not sure if he's made it over to here) at <a href="http://www.mylocosound.com/">http://www.mylocosound.com/</a></p><QUOTE]

Yes, I'm here Graham.

Peter