Summerlands Chuffer

Curlew

Registered
2 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
Chuffer for Vale of Rheidol arrived on Tuesday. Fitting took less than 5 minutes. Great sound, better of course than any expensive Digital system. The really cool thing is to control the sound level of chuff using the cylinder cocks control. Open the cocks and it sounds as if the driver has closed the regulator and the loco is coasting: great when approaching station stops. How real do you want it?

Cranford

Theatre, Model railroads, GCR
29 Jan 2010
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
Great piece of kit, fitted one to my Fowler, took longer than 5 mins to fit, but well worth the effort, best thing about it is the fact that you can tell where it is on the track, some of my layout is out of site. Have a Carrie would like to fit one to but alot more complicated.

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
I totally agree. They are a superb addition - and at a very reasonable outlay. Gets my vote every time! :)

E

Elmtree Line

The chuffer fitted to my Fowler blew out the chimney last weekend!!!!

really not looking forward to taking the engine apart again.

looks like i will have to solder or glue it in place. :brokeheart:

The engine wasn't happy just prior to it coming off so something wasnt right.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
curlew- film it and post please sounds great...

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Thanks for the kind words guys - I have to say that my work with the Chuffer has converted me to a love of R/C driving. I had gone on record as a manual only man, but being able to drive by sound, when the loco is out of sight, is very special.

Keith I am sorry to hear that yours blew off, because I remember that you didn't enjoy the fitting process. Please do not consider either solder or glue as it is just not necessary. Soft solder would melt and glue would soften in the heat. Check that you had enough straight pipe for the adapter to seat correctly - and when pushed fully on, give it a light tap to seat it. You should be able to pick up the front of the loco when it is fully seated. On my demo I had put it on and removed it hundreds of times before someone at a show insisted on buying it as I had run out of stock. Perhaps you could contact me direct when you come to do it and I will be happy to replace it if you are the least bit concerned that it is the adapter.

Cranford - the Carrie is pretty straightforward really - I have just never put any fitting notes on the website. My broadband is playing up bigtime but if it works, I will put some notes on. The only difficult bit is cutting the pipes inside the boiler wrapper with a cutting disc - though some have used a cut down hacksaw blade. Carrie was one of the first locos we tested and the chuffer was fitted by a friend at a garden meeting. He had never undone a single screw on it before!

You can hear what we heard here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbId...s of all that have followed. Cheers Chris

Curlew

Registered
2 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
As requested I will try and post a clip if I can figure out how to do it. Do you have to do it through U Tube?
The great thing about the chuffer is that it widens the gap between steam and electric. In my view no electronic system can equal the clip of Carrie thrashing through the woods. This is real railway operation with terrific atmosphere.

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Curlew said:
As requested I will try and post a clip if I can figure out how to do it. Do you have to do it through U Tube?

I find the easiest way is to upload the video to Youtube and then you simply copy and paste the address into your posting. The advantage is that there is no huge attachment - as even a short video runs into megabytes.
Cheers
Chris
PS Glad you liked Carrie in the woods:)

Curlew

Registered
2 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
Thanks for help Chris.
Have uploaded part 1. Where do I find the carrect URL so that I can copy and paste?

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
Curlew, all you need to do is:

Display the video, click on the address at the top of the sceen (this will highlight it), then 'right click' on the mouse and select 'copy'. Then do a paste (press Ctrl and then the letter 'v') on the quick reply section of this thread.

PM me if these instructions don't make any sense to you. We can always use the phone if need be. :)

Curlew

Registered
2 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
This link works, but not for part 1. When time permits I will delete part 1 and upload again. Thanks for your help.

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
I've seen both vids - excellent.

I love Part 1 with the pull away from the signal. :clap:

Curlew

Registered
2 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
Thanks for your kind comments. I will upload more in due course.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Ok, Ok,....Ok!!!! Let me go; I submit!!!! Honest!

You've all convinced me! (Didn't take much really, :happy:)

I've just ordered one for my "Countess".........as well as a couple of other useful things, like an extra 3rd/composite coach, so nice shiney boxes later this week. :party::party:

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
fitted 2
Russell and Katie
both quite straightforward, and sound great - esp from a distance when you can tell what its doing - regular exhaust beat, uphill in the sun, lovely accompaniment to birdsong etc

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
owlpool said:
lovely accompaniment to birdsong etc
Oh no Paul - am I supposed to sing as well??? :D
Great sound on the videos Curlew - I tried to respond this morning, but just as the engineer fixed my phone, the broadband went down..... I like the Part 2 best - especially the bit when VoR is really working on the curve. Thanks for posting them.
And Bob - I think (hope!) you will be pleased with the result ........
Cheers
Chris

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Chris - I was thinking of the feathered variety
we get Buzzards flying over our house and garden
hence naming our Katie "Buzzard"
havent had a Russell flying overhead yet :)