Suitable Decoders for USA Trains

ceejaydee

Big Trains
29 Nov 2009
Far East of Bedfordshire
Best answers
I was just wondering what kinds of decoders people are using in their USA Trains locos.
I am under the impression (from what I have read) that they can pull quite heavy loads so was thinking that maybe I'd need to use something along the lines of a Massoth XXL 8153001 with a 6A rating or am I being over the top?

For control I have an LGB MTS 55005 & 55015 and a 5 amp transformer.

My 'layout' is still on the floor inside so I won't be pulling masses of freight cars for the foreseeable future but equally want to fit something that will last.

I'm also interested to see what DCC sound options are available for the US outline stuff if anyone can help with that too please :clap:

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
The massoth XXL should be fine for locos such as the big USA trains ones.. :D

GrahamMills

Many & various. In G scale it is American Diesel.
25 Oct 2009
Lizard, Cornwall, UK
Best answers
nico said:
What ever happened to the QSI decoder that was in the pipeline for USA trains????

It's probably in the queue for release after the Titan (or should that be the Titanic)

ceejaydee

Big Trains
29 Nov 2009
Far East of Bedfordshire
Best answers
55.5 said:
If you are running USAT locs with smoke/sound/lights the XXL will be fine,
Don't think your 5a transformer will be happy though.
I used to run MTS3 using a Massoth Navigator and with one train running with the full monte the current draw pushed it beyond the limits..
Think about it, 2 smoke units. Sound, Lights!!!
Have to say they were awesome!!!
I went on to the 1200z which I still have slumbering along with my soundless, smokeless Bachmann geared locos.

Could be that I stay analogue for the proposed USAT loco(s) for a while while I consider other options for the longer term.
MTS was a big (read expensive) jump for me last year and I am not really in a position to upgrade again yet although if it was just the transformer it wouldn't be too much of an issue.
As I don't have a permanent layout most running initially will be shunting/switching for a while so I may get away with it.

Thanks for the answers Gentlemen.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Titan boards sound absolutely great but they seem to be like perpetual motion...great idea but unobtainable.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
The NCE D808-SR is designed specifically for USA Trains. It has a nominal 8 amp rating with 30 amp stall. Your beefed up more expensive Massoth XXL is no where near this. NCE has been making decoders for twenty odd years and is an OEM supplier for many American DCC train manufacturers.

Alas, as yet, BEMF is still in the pipeline (sometime this year) and sound is just a thought bubble.

http://www.dcctrain.com/shop/item?itemid=5767

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I've fitted one of my (LGB) locos with a US made MRC Sound Decoder rated at 5A.

Price at my local model shop (Model Junction) around £70....

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
I have been considering the MRC #1818 5 amp deocder for a year or so. This has dual sound, with both SD45 and MP15 switcher sounds. I thought the MP15 sound may be suitable for my little LGB #2063 Rio Grande diesel. At around $70 usd it seems cheap enough, but then there are the 'horror' stories of the chips getting amnesia.