Suggestions for W&LLR style locos

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Bear in mind that the W&L is famed for its roster of NON-British locos and stock. With the Belgian 0-8-0 'Sir Drefaldwyn' not far from its major rebuilt, and Hungarian and Austrian 760mm passenger rolling stock running most of the time, you really don't need anything more than a old LGB 0-8-0 and a couple of Pickering coaches plus a Zillertal coach or two to have a realistic and representative consist. This clip starts with 'Earless' arriving at Raven Square with Zillertal, Saltzkammergut and MÁV coaches -

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Tac, those Hungarian coaches look a bit like a Reko coach like Newqida make.
By the way, I did buy that extra Pickering composite brake coach that you insisted I really wanted for the set... :giggle:
Cost me a fortune to get it down under. Postman Pat isn't cheap now a days. :wondering:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I've already posted pics of my Hungarian conversions b/o Newqida coaches. all you need is the correct shade of 'miserable Warsaw Pact coach green' and a bit of lettering and you're good to go. None of the furrin stock on the W&L has been relettered, so that makes it even easier.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I remember them now. I didn't realise the W&L had some.

Last edited:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Two.

And don't overlook the Sierra Leone Government coaches, that used to be hauled behind No 14/85.....

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Number 14. Hmm, must resist, must resist. :angel:
It looks real nice in lined blue. Nice in black too for some reason. Both out of stock at the dealer so procrastination has saved me from my most abundant sin. :devil:
I really need a W&L live steamer for all this W&L stock I have though.

Brummagem

Registered
3 Nov 2018
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone; very much appreciated.

The courpet looks great and one that had caught my eye when looking at the LGB catalogue a while back.

The more I’ve thought about it the more I think I might not restrict myself to a specific British narrow gauge given I’m interested in a few of them. I also have a Bachmann LYN that could be converted to R/C. I’m also keen on Roundhouses Merseysider diesel too.

I’ve always liked running a mix of things and would probably create my own fictitious British NG line to allow running of different stock. As said I’m in the process of converting an LgB 2091 diesel to RC.

Out of interest, does anyone have a pic of Accucrafts W&LLR stock and L&B stock togetherto gauge the difference in size/scale?

Greg

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I don't have pictures but some of the L&B stock is quite a bit smaller than those on the W&L like the 2 axle trucks and boxvans.

Brummagem

Registered
3 Nov 2018
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
I don't have pictures but some of the L&B stock is quite a bit smaller than those on the W&L like the 2 axle trucks and boxvans.

What about the larger L&B stock such as the bogie ‘long wagon’ and the Howard vans?

Thanks

Greg

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Lynton and Barnstaple stock is 1ft 11 1/2in gauge. W&Ll is not only 2ft 6in gauge, but is very 'LARGE' with it, as you can see from the way that the Austrian and Hungarian stuff runs on it without looking gormless and about to fall off the track. Having said that, the Manning and Wardle L&B locos tend to be very low slung, and the W&Ll more like their full-size counterparts, especially in height. Even the Baldwin 'Lyn' was chosen because of its compact dimensions, more suited to the Maine 2-footers than most any other loco built in the USA. I was told that the height on the W&Ll stock was originally designed so that they could share the same station platforms of the Cambrian - later GWR - station in Welshpool. Note that the Welsh line has no tunnels or overhead road bridges either, a couple of features that may have a bearing on the more-than-generous loading gauge employed.

Brummagem

Registered
3 Nov 2018
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Lynton and Barnstaple stock is 1ft 11 1/2in gauge. W&Ll is not only 2ft 6in gauge, but is very 'LARGE' with it, as you can see from the way that the Austrian and Hungarian stuff runs on it without looking gormless and about to fall off the track. Having said that, the Manning and Wardle L&B locos tend to be very low slung, and the W&Ll more like their full-size counterparts, especially in height. Even the Baldwin 'Lyn' was chosen because of its compact dimensions, more suited to the Maine 2-footers than most any other loco built in the USA. I was told that the height on the W&Ll stock was originally designed so that they could share the same station platforms of the Cambrian - later GWR - station in Welshpool. Note that the Welsh line has no tunnels or overhead road bridges either, a couple of features that may have a bearing on the more-than-generous loading gauge employed.

Ah, that makes sense.

It sounds like if I want to go for a ‘generic’ British Narrow Gauge Vibe then the L&B stock may fit with a wider variety of loco prototypes better than just the W&LLR stock (albeit I may still get some in the hope a countess appears one day).

Greg

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, that makes sense.

It sounds like if I want to go for a ‘generic’ British Narrow Gauge Vibe then the L&B stock may fit with a wider variety of loco prototypes better than just the W&LLR stock (albeit I may still get some in the hope a countess appears one day).

Greg

You can always run your railway as one thing one day and another on another, or just mix and match. We call that Rule 8 "It's mine and I'll run what I want, when I want"

Reactions: 1 users

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
There are, I bleeve, only THREE 760mm gauge lines in England - Whipsnade Zoo, Sittingbourne and Kemsley [SP?]. and the W&Ll. All of their locos have run there - 'Superior' this year at the gala weekend.

On the other tentacle, the vast majority of Welsh NG are around the 2ft gauge, with correspondingly dimensioned rolling stock. One of those 'little Welsh railways' also has the largest 2ft gauge locos running in UK - the Welsh Highland railway runs a number of the magnificent ex-SAR/ACR NG/G16 Beyer-Garratt articulated locos, and yet another, an NG/G15, formerly running in the grounds of a tree nursery in Switzerland, is due to be running on the Vale of Rheidol railway soon.

RogerK

Registered
3 Jun 2018
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Out of interest, does anyone have a pic of Accucrafts W&LLR stock and L&B stock togetherto gauge the difference in size/scale?
Greg
Here a some pics of the SR (L&B) and W&L stock with a Roundhouse Silver Lady and the Bachmann Lyn. I believe the SR Brake Van was added by SR after the Big 4 consolidation and has a similar loading gauge to the W&L stock.

Roger

2uqDQg0.jpg

YSVNNS9.jpg

sxqVpG6.jpg

43GvQXY.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
V.interesting to note how much wider the SR two-truck brake van is than the W&Ll stock.

RogerK

Registered
3 Jun 2018
USA
Best answers
Country flag
V.interesting to note how much wider the SR two-truck brake van is than the W&Ll stock.

I would have agreed with you, until I actually measured the models. Ignoring the duckets, etc., the width of the body of the brake van is 95mm versus 93mm on the body of the W&L vans. The brake van has a little more roof overhang and the buffer beams that are 108mm wide probably make it seem wider visually.

For the record, I was wrong about the SR/L&B bogie brake van. Per Accucraft, it was built by L&B in 1908. It was the SR "Howard" vans that were added in 1927.

Brummagem

Registered
3 Nov 2018
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Greg
Here a some pics of the SR (L&B) and W&L stock with a Roundhouse Silver Lady and the Bachmann Lyn. I believe the SR Brake Van was added by SR after the Big 4 consolidation and has a similar loading gauge to the W&L stock.

Roger

2uqDQg0.jpg

YSVNNS9.jpg

sxqVpG6.jpg

43GvQXY.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to post Roger, incredibly useful pics.

I wonder if the smaller roundhouse diesels (bulldog, Merseysider, little John) would look small against both sets of stock?

Greg

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
A better size comparison. The Corpet Louvet has deeper flanges too.

CorpetLouvet&Countess_5135.JPG

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I would have agreed with you, until I actually measured the models. Ignoring the duckets, etc., the width of the body of the brake van is 95mm versus 93mm on the body of the W&L vans.

95mm is not wider than 93mm?

Ah, this modern math, eh?