Stolen locos

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
I’m sorry to report that my 10 year old Silver Lady was stolen during a break-in to my garage in the early hours of last Wednesday morning.
The serial number is PAQ6498. It has been repainted in non-standard blue. The loco is also fitted with a Forest Classics gas regulator, which a buyer may have difficulty in working out how to use properly, especially as it not a standard Roundhouse item. The loco has Locoworks cab doors on each side.

The thieves didn’t take the radio transmitter. If they manage to sell it to some unsuspecting buyer it’s possible the buyer may contact someone in the garden railway community for advice on how to get the radio control working. If they do, could you get in touch with me please by email, or contact Dorset Police at enquiries@dorset.pnn.police.uk with the reference 55190179688

Also taken was a hybrid coal fired loco. It has an Accrucraft Edrig body, a DJB coal fired boiler, and a Roundhouse Billy chassis. It also has a DJB whistle. It is painted in Somerset & Dorset Prussian Blue. It's a very distinctive loco but I doubt the thieves will appreciate its value.

The thieves were basically after tools (circular saw, drill, petrol strimmer) but my wife's bicycle and the locos were an added bonus.
Thanks for any help.
Steve

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Have added live steam to my auction alerts, you never know.
If anything like your locos descriptions show up, I'll be in touch asap.
Sorry for you loss. Hope they are recovered.
Regards,
Paul.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I’m sorry to report that my 10 year old Silver Lady was stolen during a break-in to my garage in the early hours of last Wednesday morning.
The serial number is PAQ6498. It has been repainted in non-standard blue. The loco is also fitted with a Forest Classics gas regulator, which a buyer may have difficulty in working out how to use properly, especially as it not a standard Roundhouse item. The loco has Locoworks cab doors on each side.

The thieves didn’t take the radio transmitter. If they manage to sell it to some unsuspecting buyer it’s possible the buyer may contact someone in the garden railway community for advice on how to get the radio control working. If they do, could you get in touch with me please by email, or contact Dorset Police at enquiries@dorset.pnn.police.uk with the reference 55190179688

Also taken was a hybrid coal fired loco. It has an Accrucraft Edrig body, a DJB coal fired boiler, and a Roundhouse Billy chassis. It also has a DJB whistle. It is painted in Somerset & Dorset Prussian Blue. It's a very distinctive loco but I doubt the thieves will appreciate its value.

The thieves were basically after tools (circular saw, drill, petrol strimmer) but my wife's bicycle and the locos were an added bonus.
Thanks for any help.
Steve
Sorry also for your loss, as a rule Garages or Sheds are not a good place to leave High Value items like that. Sorry to state the obvious, but hoping that others on the Forum will get the message about Garages and Sheds. Keep all the Valuable Locomotives in the House, yes still not 100% secure but much better than a Shed or Garage. With the cost of a couple of good live Steamers gone a reasonable alarm system and perhaps CCTV these days cost a lot less and are a great deterrent.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Further thought if anyone has access to the 16mm Forum might be worth posting the loss in it.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Further thought if anyone has access to the 16mm Forum might be worth posting the loss in it.
I'll see if I can, I'll also try and spread the worday around my little group

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Where do live? I assume it's in Great Britain somewhere

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Where do live? I assume it's in Great Britain somewhere

Original post, say's to inform Dorset Police.. - I would say that is near-enough geographically?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
D

Deleted member 5389

[Hi i am fairlynew to the Forum and i am very sickened by what has happened. I know this is a bit late now but i have some locks fitted to my loft hatch to prevent this sort of thing happening. They are Garage door locks and they are fantastic. I have pasted a link for everyone so they may up your security immensly. Barbara

QUOTE="400Parker, post: 572908, member: 2301"]

Thanks for any help.
Steve
[/QUOTE]

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Without doubt anything that will slow the process of getting in to a Garage or Shed will help out. But a Wooden Shed is so easy to access with a Jimmy. Metal Garage Doors probably less so because of the noise of the Metal being Jimmied but they tend to have a Wooden Door as well, not so secure.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Seriously though, I had an electric door fitted to my garage, and surprising not much more expensive that a new manual door. No handles on the front, and a rather solid side door, which requires access through the garden.

adverse camber

Registered
2 Dec 2009
East Anglia
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your theft.

I had most of my loco's stolen about 9-10 years ago from my train shed. I was fortunate in getting most of them back after I offered a reward, and was even able to buy a couple more back on ebay. I think publicising the theft on this forum may have been how I got them back (indirectly) but the full reason I ended up meeting a bloke in a garage forecourt just off the M25 at 9pm on a dark night to reclaim them will never be clear. The police though initially helpful were useless when I gave them the name and address of the thief (supplied by the person who returned most of the them) and tried to sort out the ebay sales. In the end it was just cheaper and easier to bid and buy them.
Thieves had no idea what they were taking as they left most of the tenders behind and all the boxes. I think they too were after tools and lawnmowers.
I did learn that thieves tend to operate outside their own county. The police are responsible for crimes in their county and not very interested in sorting out "petty criminals" who live in their county but operate elsewhere. This is one of the reasons up till recently "county lines" drug gangs have been operating so effectively. T
My train shed (which is big and solid, more of a garden room than a shed) now supports a burglar alarm, which was relatively (compared with the cost of a loco) inexpensive and easy to fit.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
That's a salutary tale Matthew. Does your alarm just make a noise when it is triggered or is it connected to some security firm? Or is it just an empty box! A few of my neighbours have fake security boxes that they claim work just as well as a deterrent as a real one. But that's rather like the people who say "look at all the money I save not paying for insurance" which is true until you need to make a claim.

D

Deleted member 5389

Good Afternoon everyone as well as the locks i left a link for above. I also have this on my Garage door as well as the other locks.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I actually keep my trains under the bed (seriously )

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
I actually keep my trains under the bed (seriously )

Under the bed, the top shelf of the master bedroom closet, and the underwear drawers, are supposedly the first places burglars look for valuables. You might be better off storing valuables elsewhere. kitchen, hall closets, bathroom, etc. Or store your trains in a box labeled ''damaged junk, in need of repair, to be donated" with some really cheap broken stuff amongst them?