Steaming up coal fired loco vid

Llongfordrailway

Edrig, Little John, Ruby, Ffion and Coal Fowler
17 Nov 2013
Lancashire
Best answers
Hello all,

Here is a video of how I steam up my coal fired engine. Hope this helps for those who are considering starting in coal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T4RBRHAa6s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Regards

Daniel

green park

Registered
25 Sep 2013
Best answers
controls look nice and easy to get to on the fowler, dan. I have to fumble a bit to get to the blower valve on my anne. also must be good having a tender instead of a wagon for coal. great video, thanx, mart...

Llongfordrailway

17 Nov 2013
Lancashire
Best answers
Hi Mart,

Thanks for the feedback. I have found the tendor useful but I need to bring it closer to the engine. I have been making it further and further away from the loco to try and accomodate it to go round my track but I have just resigned to the fact that my track is probably unsuitable for coal firing! I need to make a little foot plate for it too to make it look neater and eventually a repaint as Halfords paint seems to be quite poor quality.

Hope your engine is running well?

Regards

Daniel

green park

Registered
25 Sep 2013
Best answers
its fine now i have stopped the smokebox leaking air thanx dan, so it keeps drawing the fire when running as it should. trying to remember where i saw chequer plate being sold on the web, should make a good fall plate. i remember, its metalsmith ltd, nickle silver chequerplate. or you could squeeze some aluminium plate against a coarse file in the vice to press a pattern into it? i do that with brass footsteps on my G1 locos. ...mart

Llongfordrailway

17 Nov 2013
Lancashire
Best answers
Hi Mart,

After our conversation is prompted me to look at the drop plate for my engine last night. Attached is what I came up with. It is clearly a work in progress but a start!

Regards

Daniel

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 62

MAYBACH

Hydraulics, Motorhead, biscuits, cake, VW's
26 Oct 2009
Devon (HYDRAULIC COUNTRY)
Best answers
Country flag
Rob at Swiftsixteen does two different types of chequer plate for 16mm loco's, just scroll down his list of products and you will find them both towards the bottom of the list.

http://www.swiftsixteen.com/products.php

Cheers
Rob