Steamcraft Limited Double Fairlie...

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
I have recently re-acquired a Steamcraft Limited Double Fairlie that I used to own. I would like to get in contact with Steamcraft via email. Are they still around, and does anyone have a good email address for them?

Double%20Fairlie.jpg

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
Went many years ago...

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
Tag,

Did the company go, or did the owner go? If the owner is still with us, I would like to chat with him.

My concern is that the paperwork I have on the locomotive claims there are "two displacement lubricators". I'm hard pressed to find one.

Got any ideas, like maybe know someone who has the same locomotive?
Any help would be appreciated.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Just a random thought Tom. Thats not a displacement lubricator next to the smokebox is it?

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
Alan,

They do look like they would make a nice place for a displacement lubricator, but they are only cosmetic. There are four of them, one on each corner.

Thanks anyway for your comment.

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
steamtom1 said:
Tag,

Did the company go, or did the owner go? If the owner is still with us, I would like to chat with him.

My concern is that the paperwork I have on the locomotive claims there are "two displacement lubricators". I'm hard pressed to find one.

Got any ideas, like maybe know someone who has the same locomotive?
Any help would be appreciated.

Tom Myers

Trouble is, any thing could have happened to the loco over the years. I don't know the gentleman concerned so cannot help

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
stockers said:
Just a random thought Tom. Thats not a displacement lubricator next to the smokebox is it?
Standard Festiniog sand pot - one each corner.

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
Tag,

Thanks for getting back to me. You are correct, there may have been many changes over the years.

When I originally owned the locomotive, some 13 years ago, it would always run short on steam. When I repurchased it this year, I had the Master, Bob Weltyk, re-burner it. As you can see, lack of steam doesn't now seem to be a problem. She will look much better with the cab in place...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Ov_hocuiI&noredirect=1[/youtube]

I can't remember 13 years ago if it had an oiler or not. I don't remember that it did not have one, but then again memory is the second thing to go. I still can't remember what the first thing is.

Jerry Reshew gave a talk at Diamondhead on the premise that these small steam engines do not need an oiler. We are about to see if he is correct.

kovacjr

Registered
7 Dec 2012
Best answers
Tom

No lubricators.  The piston and valves are Teflon seals. Mine run down to about 3psi on air.  Currently its getting a new boiler with a central firebox, either twin pokers or a ceramic. Unsure yet. Mine was in sad shape when I got it.  Rust and a clogged boiler of bad water buildup

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 68

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
Jason,

Thanks for the info. That would make sense. Looks like yours has been Americanized, kind of like my Merlin Mayflower...

P1070450.JPG

Re: Teflon seals...

A few years ago @DH, (come to think of it, it was almost 10 years ago), Pete Comley helped me rebuild a recently acquired Aster Schools.

Tom%20assists%20Dr.%20Comley%20with%20surgery%20on%20the%20Schools%20(resized).jpg

He used teflon tape, wrapped into a thread, for the piston rings. It is my best running locomotive, with virtually no resistance to motion. You can literally blow on that loco, and it will move.

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
Jason,

Upon closer inspection, with a couple extra pair of eyes, namely Will Lindley and Tom Toth, we spotted this screw, immediately below the couplers...
Fairlie%20Front.jpg

And guess what was behind it. Surprise, surprise!!!

Fairlie%20Underside.jpg

Does your Fairlie have a similar setup?

You will have to bring yours to DH. We could double head Double Fairlies--sort of a "Quad-Fairlie"

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
steamtom1 said:

You will have to bring yours to DH. We could double head Double Fairlies--sort of a "Quad-Fairlie"

"Quarlie" - Lovely loco Tom