Steam blower

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Hello G Scale members

My apologies for having ignored this site for a while. Due mainly to several months of recuperation following a silly accident during the summer when I managed to injure my nerve system in quite a big way.

Only now am I beginning to feel I am on the mend but even then I can be knocked sideways quite easily.

Some of you will know I bought an Aster G1 KG V. An acquaintance has run it a couple of times for me on his garden layout. I am now building a rolling road so I can run it at home.

Does any member know who can supply a suitable steam blower please?

Thank you,

Sarah Winfield

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Look on the 16mm association website, they have a list of suitable suppliers of all things live steam, or indeed the Gauge 1 Society

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome back Sarah! Sorry to hear of your accident. Wish you the best with your recovery.

Phil S.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome back Sarah, try

Info@Www.elstow-engineering.co.uk

They advertised them in the latest G1 Society Mag £60. 01234 331366.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hello G Scale members

My apologies for having ignored this site for a while. Due mainly to several months of recuperation following a silly accident during the summer when I managed to injure my nerve system in quite a big way.

Only now am I beginning to feel I am on the mend but even then I can be knocked sideways quite easily.

Some of you will know I bought an Aster G1 KG V. An acquaintance has run it a couple of times for me on his garden layout. I am now building a rolling road so I can run it at home.

Does any member know who can supply a suitable steam blower please?

Thank you,

Sarah Winfield

You'll be needing a sucker, not a blower, but most folks get them mixed up. As Dunnyrail suggests, Elstow are good to deal with, and around £25 cheaper than the Aster version.

BTW, the 'steam blower' is located on the backhead of the loco, and is used when pressure, using the fan, has got up to around 20psi. Then the fan comes off and the blower goes on - a little bit - to get the fire going properly. Once the fire is good, and pressure has come up to 60-70 psi, you can open the throttle and close the blower, remembering to do the opposite actions when you stop. You can also use the blower to exhaust the steam when you have finished the run - AFTER blowing out the fire with your handy CO2 extinguisher bought from a bicycle store. It uses a 12g cartridge to re-inflate a flat.

There are a number of companies who make a rolling road suitable for your loco, but remember that if you are building your own that the loco and tender MUST be at the same height to ensure the fuel feeding correctly. If the tender is NOT at the same level - ie, raised higher than the loco - then you can flood the burners with a potentially catastrophic fire.

Last edited: