voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
This could just be down to my poor hearing.

I've been doing a sort out with the idea of moving on a bit more in order to free up room in the railway shed. I have two green Stainz No. 2s so one of those seemed a good idea. Did a test of one and although it ran well I thought it sounded quite rattly and I was a little concerned. I checked the internal switch and found one position is off in order to isolate and the other two positions both allowed drive. One was this noisy one and the other is relatively quiet. Is that correct? Is the noisy one supposed to be some sort of authentic sound?

Paul

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
There is a version with a very poor sound system in it. - 'Rattle sandpaper' is probably a good description..
You may have one of these?

There is normally a moulded housing, in the cab roof.. You may be able to make out the loudspeaker within?

PhilP.

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Check the number under the loco:
20212 was the sound version.
20211 had no sound.
I have a few 20212's and concur With PhilP the first versions sounded dreadful and the later one's were not much better. They both had the cardboard speaker which was prone to failing.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I
Check the number under the loco:
20212 was the sound version.
20211 had no sound.
I have a few 20212's and concur With PhilP the first versions sounded dreadful and the later one's were not much better. They both had the cardboard speaker which was prone to failing.
have one and converted it battery, the sound was dreadful.

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
OK, just checked and it's 20212.

As an extra bonus question, it has a label saying 'Direct decoder', what does that mean please?

Paul

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
OK, just checked and it's 20212.

As an extra bonus question, it has a label saying 'Direct decoder', what does that mean please?

Paul
I think it means there's a socket to easily plug in a DCC decoder rather than have to wire it in Paul.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Somewhere on the site is a list of photos of 5 or 6 different DCC labels, I think yours means a chip can be plugged straight in.
I had though that this may be somewhere in resources, just had a look and could not find it but that is where a copy of it needs to be. I think resources is a very underused and underrated option for many of the basis that often get asked. Having said that I have no idea how to post to it though one of my threads has been!

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
I had though that this may be somewhere in resources, just had a look and could not find it but that is where a copy of it needs to be. I think resources is a very underused and underrated option for many of the basis that often get asked. Having said that I have no idea how to post to it though one of my threads has been!
Here you go.....

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
This one?
mts-3.jpg

The sticker (usually silver) with a smaller verision of the pentagon, surrounded with the words: "direct decoder" indicates a 10 pin decoder interface plug-and-play compatible with the LGB® 55020, 55021, and the Massoth L decoder.. The decoder plugs into the main board and you trim the 4 wires (2 track and 2 motor) off the decoder.

The 10 pin interface:

1 F1 green
2 F2 violet
3 F0 rev yellow (rear headlight)
4 motor - gray
5 track - red
6 track + black
7 motor + orange
8 F0 fwd white (front headlight
9 gnd
10 common + blue

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
This one?
mts-3.jpg

The sticker (usually silver) with a smaller verision of the pentagon, surrounded with the words: "direct decoder" indicates a 10 pin decoder interface plug-and-play compatible with the LGB® 55020, 55021, and the Massoth L decoder.. The decoder plugs into the main board and you trim the 4 wires (2 track and 2 motor) off the decoder.

The 10 pin interface:

1 F1 green
2 F2 violet
3 F0 rev yellow (rear headlight)
4 motor - gray
5 track - red
6 track + black
7 motor + orange
8 F0 fwd white (front headlight
9 gnd
10 common + blue
AllAboutLGB: Massoth and LGB® Decoder Installation gives you all 6 sticker info.
Several people assumed that 'DCC ready' meant it had a dcc chip installed and were a bit miffed when they found out it actualy means ready to accept a dcc chip

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I have all 6 stickers and wiring and pinouts on my site, which is not a commercial site, nor does it track you.

Still adding to it, I am not an LGB expert for sure!

Greg