Stainz 0-4-0 with Tender

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Spule 4 said:
While not a dirtier one Paul, I am suprpised that no one has addressed how to clean up Corpet-Stainz?:rofl:

(I know, I am looking for the door as I type this)
Garrett that joke really is close to being grounds for dismissal mate!!!

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Spule 4 said:
The Mercedes 220D of model locos......
I finally took the gearboxes of my 25+ year old 2017 and tender apart today (both split case type, ie. pains in the rump). I figured that it was about time, since it was running mostly non-stop out in the heat and dirt for the last 4 days. There was some oil/carbon crud built up between the brushes and the wheels. Surprisingly--- or perhaps not so -- other than that, it looked almost new on the inside - no perceptible wear on the journals, shafts or gears. Just a bit of old black grease to wipe off and replace. This on a locomotive that was well used when I got it (The skates are about nearly worn through!), and to which I never did more to (up till now) mechanically than plop it on the rails and kick on the juice! Gummi-scale or not, the people at Lehmann sure made some rugged stuff! So, I just wiped the backs od the wheels, all the bearing surfaces, and gear teeth down with LGB 'smoke fluid'/track cleaner, put on some fresh(er? it's probably 10 years old too) LGB grease and slapped it all back together. (If by slapped I mean 3 times - before I got the silly thing 'timed' correctly -- I missed by one tooth each way first!)

Now I guess I probably should think about scrounging up a few skates -- So the old girl will be ready for her NEXT 25 years!....

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
"We build them good in Germany, Ja Heinie!" - Curt Jergens in The Enemy Below