SPRINGS FOR TURNOUTS

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I presently use small rubber bands to keep three LGB 1500 series turnouts in a designated position. the weight of the train moves the points as it passes over them. However, the rubber bands only last two weeks on average. Fortunately, they were free. I wonder if there is a good spring for this purpose? I thought of ball point pen springs, but they rust and are not reliable. I could electrify them, but I want to keep it simple.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Madman said:
I presently use small rubber bands to keep three LGB 1500 series turnouts in a designated position. the weight of the train moves the points as it passes over them. However, the rubber bands only last two weeks on average. Fortunately, they were free. I wonder if there is a good spring for this purpose? I thought of ball point pen springs, but they rust and are not reliable. I could electrify them, but I want to keep it simple.

1500 turnouts? I wasn't aware that LGB made any? only 1100 and 1600 But the info is the same for both. if you want them to spring back to the designated route then you need the little LGB manual switch throws and these will always spring back to the set route. If you want them to stay on the route that the loco pushes through then you need the electrical switches which will always stay in the route as pushed through even unpowered, if you power them you can obvously set the route remotely.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Madman said:

I use the LGB 12060 Manual Switch as Minimans describes.

For sidings I set trailing points for the siding, so a train 'pushes' through on the main line, before reversing back into the siding.

I even do the same for the run round loop at my terminus Station. The points are set for the run round so a loco will push through the point, reverse and move along the route set by the switch to the next crossover.

A simple form of automation without extra complication....

http://www.dragon-gscale.co.uk/lgb-12060-switch-drive-manual-2-pieces-382-p.asp

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
I didn't like the point boxes so I use a length of piano wire on the inside of whichever rail I am trying to push over. Sometimes I've been able to squeeze the wire between the ends of the chairs and the rail, but in this piccy I've secured it with a little solder. I bend the end of the wire slightly to apply just enough pressure. It does rust, but this bit has been in place for three years.
f1437951123441218c8cedbac2666986.jpg

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Dave, that's a good idea. I tried using LGB manual switch throws, but they were not reurning the points back to their original position consistantly.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
i found out, that the manual LGB swiches often have one side, to where they push back better, than to the other.
so, if they do not push back reliably, i just mount them on the other side of the turnout.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Madman said:
....I tried using LGB manual switch throws, but they were not reurning the points back to their original position consistantly....

Dan, I find a little bit of copper slip on the blade contacts helps with this?

Not my best picture but it might help explain.

Also a clean out of the point switch and a squirt of WD40 might help....

LVT

Analogue automated LGB Euro on 4 loops
24 Oct 2009
Near Atlantic City NJ USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have been amazed at the reliability of the LGB manual throws when used as spring returns. My turnouts always float on top of the ballast, if yours are fastened down, there may be some binding induced. Otherwise, keeping the underside free of debris and a bit of lubrication (per Giz) should give you great performance.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Just to show it can be done, I made this short video on my line,

No electric point motors used on this part of the layout. I preset the points so that the train runs into Sheringham terminus, uncouples, runs round then couples up to the other end of the train.

In this film the loco continues to shunt the train into the head shunt, before fially shunting the train into a kickback siding....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGSD45IraEU

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
No electric point motors used on this part of the layout. I preset the points so that the train runs into Sheringham terminus, uncouples, runs round then couples up to the other end of the train.

Gizzy

Did you have to add any extra weight to the wagons? I find that some derail when propelled through the spring-loaded switch rail - OK when pulled but not happy when pushed.

Rik

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
ge_rik said:
Gizzy said:

Gizzy

Did you have to add any extra weight to the wagons? I find that some derail when propelled through the spring-loaded switch rail - OK when pulled but not happy when pushed.

Rik

Hullo Rik,

I do find that adding weight to some of the lighter wagons, normally by adding a suitable load, is of benefit.

In the film, some of the wagons have real logs, made from cut down branches...