Splitting sleeper bases.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
There are no pictures to show with this post as i have not taken any.

I noticed yesterday that on a curve where i have used those black plastic clips to add additional security/stability at track section joints every sleeper at the ends where the clips were fitted has split.

I normally drill and tap for individual fishplate screws in each rail ends, but as this was LGB track and i had the black connectors i used them.

Anyone else has this problem.

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
I had two types of connector the brown type fitted easily with no problems, the black ones, (maybe another make,) were very tight lengthwise and if forced could cause what you’re describing.
The brown ones were definitely LGB, the black ones came in a purchase of various items, so no idea of the make.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
If you are talking the I beam shape items, I used LGB (black) when I first started, and were okay on 30 cm straight and R1 curves but tight on other LGB track, and by the time the warm weather was with us, some of the sleepers had split, so the were aboandoned for rail clamps (various).

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I've used the LGB clips on a circle of LGB R2 that was put around the Christmas tree for years. As Jimmy noted, the black clips are a very tight fit on LGB 1500 curves and caused the end sleepers to split on some track sections. The track is very old, purchased around 1985, and the plastic ties my have lost some elasticity over the years. I can't blame it on UV as this track was used outdoors on only a couple of occasions for temporary layouts. It is usually stored away in the original box.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I have used these 'dog bones' in the past, but I now use rail clamps on my layout....