dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
After having a verey plesant day off yesterday attending a West Midlands G Scale Garden Meet I managed to get a few more bricks down and almost completed the front right Garden Planter. Well that’s what I say it is, it may have a train running through it also.
View attachment 240630
All you need to do now is to get the bricks to match the older ones. Relatively easily achieved by having a bucket of water with some thin earth mixed in to make very slightly muddied water. Just paint on and instant weathered bricks. If you make the mix with only enough earth to just colour the water you can get the effect and if not enough add some more earth, let dry between applcations to see how the effect is working.

Another more severe brick color changing effect is to use Cow Dung instead of earth, this will attract algee and give some green to the bricks in time. Yogurt or milk has a similar effect and is probably more SWMBO friendly!

Finally for a rusting effect on stone, bricks or footpaths is to use Sulphate of Iron (used to feed Azelia's) this will give a realy nice change of colour and can be made more or less severe by just using more or less of the stuff. A spray with water and overnight the effect is magical.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the comments Jon.

I will get all the brickwork done before trying any method of aging the bricks I may try the rusting effect on the Bridges does it work on Aluminium or just dissolve it all...

Peter

Reactions: 1 user

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Still working on the Bricks had a few days doing other stuff as well, post some more progress pics shortly.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
1532170377297.png1532170411483.png
Bar the shouting and a few more bricks all the Brickwork is completed today, I just have to fill the (planters) with rubble and soil

1532170663180.png

Reactions: 6 users

Demiel1910

Tramway Demiel 1910 en France
13 Jul 2017
France
Best answers
Thats looking really good Peter!!

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Thats looking really good Peter!!
Thanks mike, The heat has helped it gave me an excuse to pace myself. Now I have to dig out for a pond under the main bridge it looks like hardcore down there ...phew

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
DSCF1096.jpg

I have started digging for the pond (have to have an excuse for the bridge) but as one would expect the clay is like concrete at the moment so pickaxe bit by bit. The other addition is i have boarded over the left side back of the area as i want to install the engine shed and turntable there and try and put a smoke machine under it, watch this space.
1532441538160.jpeg

I have also started unpacking my buildings.......lol this was a signal station. Anybody know what glue is best for Pola Buildings? as we know there adhesive is ok for kit take apart with a good knock.

Reactions: 3 users

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Major works going on there Peter, following along with your progress.

Paul

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 241111

I have started digging for the pond (have to have an excuse for the bridge) but as one would expect the clay is like concrete at the moment so pickaxe bit by bit. The other addition is i have boarded over the left side back of the area as i want to install the engine shed and turntable there and try and put a smoke machine under it, watch this space.
View attachment 241112

I have also started unpacking my buildings.......lol this was a signal station. Anybody know what glue is best for Pola Buildings? as we know there adhesive is ok for kit take apart with a good knock.

I have found that superglue is doing ok not sure how it will survive outside with the UV but cant be any worse than Pola adhesive

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Pola adhesive is UHU clear solvent glue - the usual yellow tube in the UK. The glue in my station kit was actually branded UHU. Use plenty - you need to fill the gaps to keep the frost out. Made in Germany!
UHU.jpg

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Made in Germany...must be good then. will try and get some thanks.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Not done much recently with school Holidays and Grandparent duties, and also not much fun posting pictures of the walls been slowly filled up with rubble and clay from around the garden. I have not worked out the cubic capacity of it all but quite a few cubic meters I think.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
1538127055673.png1538127081887.png

Just a catchup, i have been filling the 'Planters' up over the summer with old clay soil moved from another part of the garden nearly complete and most likely be left over the coming monts to setle as they are quite bih lumps so lots of air gaps between then and no 20 ton digger to run over it this time (referance to my french garden railway)

Reactions: 1 users

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
I don't be know how I missed this thread.....well impressed.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 243778View attachment 243779

Just a catchup, i have been filling the 'Planters' up over the summer with old clay soil moved from another part of the garden nearly complete and most likely be left over the coming monts to setle as they are quite bih lumps so lots of air gaps between then and no 20 ton digger to run over it this time (referance to my french garden railway)

Now don't beat me up. One thing I don't see are drainage holes in the brick wall. If you live in a climate where freezing occurs you should have some drainage so the brick wall doesn't blow out due to frost. It looks like you are still in the rough building stage so it wouldn't be too difficult to install the drain holes.

The ideal method, at this point would be to core nice round holes through the brick wall near the bottom. Then install short lengths of PVC pipe, at least 2" in diameter. But you will have to remove the dirt behind the wall at these locations so that some crushed stone can be placed behind the wall where the pipe is. Otherwise, the pipe will simply clog with soil.

drilling-brick-full-of-holes.jpghqdefault.jpgpage_003a.gifRetainTT5.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
LOL thanks for the building instructions....there is drainage in the bottom of the planters but i could drill a few holes in the back wall etc if there are any problems...

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Still working on the construction, I need to get some topsoil to fill in the sinking clay the winter weather will help with sorting out compacting and levelling the soil. And I am thinking of laying the track on breeze blocks.