Sound Newbie questions

craigwrdouglas

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Edinburgh UK
Best answers
Hi All,

I've got some newbie sound questions that I hope you can help with.

My situations is I have a mix of mostly the chunkier RhB and precursor stuff, all are digital or converted to digital, but non of which have any sound units.

I'm looking to fit sound to one of them, but am not sure how this will work in operation. I have an older digital controller system - MTS central 2 which means that I cannot set cv values that are higher than 99 with it as there is only 2 digits on the display (and setting any values at all is really a bit of a pain))

Is there a standard way of setting chips up? how would you operate the sounds? some have pantographs as f2 & f3, whilst one has an lgb onboard chip & smoke unit (I think this is f7).

I'm really trying to anticipate anything awkward that I can't do with the control equipment that I have.

Is there a cheap way to improve my lot as far as control equipment?

All help appreciated!;)

thanks

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Best cheap option for programming would be the SPROG, sub £100 incl power supply, allowing you full option on programming connected to a pc, requires a bit of basic computer savvy to load the software and away you go, there are LGB and massoth chips in the libraries and several threads on here by members using SPROGs.
You may find certain RhB locos will allow you independent control of pantographs, those with direct decoder interfaces, but many of the newer ones you will find it goes through the circuit board and you will get automatic changeover as you change direction. Personally I liked the individual control option.
Most of the Massoth chips can be piggybacked straight onto the LGB circuitboard and don't require any cv's changing to keep all the sound functions within the F1-8 range. Is yours serial or parallel though as that may need CV's altering as they come default for parallel now.
Get the SPROG and you can modify settings on Zimo, ESU, Massoth and LGB sound units choosing which function button does what, but you can't upload different sounds without the manufacturers own programmer.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I'd echo PaulRhB 100% - the SPROG is the way to go for programming whatever decoders you go for, it's an order of magnitude above trying to program CVs via your MTS controller!

I know you've been reading and posting on the thread about Dietz and Massoth sound-only decoders - as Paul mentioned above, it is possible to move the sounds around between the function keys - if you do end up going with Massoth S units (once they become available again) then if you order them through Muns here on the forum you can ask him to set them up before delivery to exactly how you want them (you could do this yourself quite easily with the SPROG, too); for example, you could get the pantograph raising/lowering sound effects put on the same function number as that used to actually operate them - so that you get the sound and action together. A good example of this was my little red Duo KoF, which Gizzy now owns and runs on Hardyard - Muns put the coupler "clank" sound effect on function 1 and moved the horn (normally on 1) to a higher function number - thus when 1 is pressed, the couplers operate (via the driving chip, a Massoth L) at the same time as the separate S triggers the coupling sounds; it works a treat!

Jon.

craigwrdouglas

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Edinburgh UK
Best answers
Thanks Paul - I've got some pc bits I bought a while back, but didn't have much luck with I'll dig them out first  and see what I have.

I remember the software being awful though.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
If you use a SPROG, it runs the (free) JMRI/Decoder Pro software, which is very easy to use.

Jon.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
craigwrdouglas said:
I remember the software being awful though.

In my opinion the decoder pro software that comes with the SPROG is quite good.

If you like point and click graphical interfaces where you don't necessarily have to fully understand all of the underling decoder CVs then (beavercreek listen in!) this is the way to go.

Edit: Snap again, must stop this!!

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, SPROG + JMRI is my "go to" gear for CV programming.
I also use JMRI to talk to my NCE command station - it's worth mentioning that the JMRI software can communicate with quite a few brands of DCC system hardware and do a lot more than just decoder programming, but unfortunately LGB/Massoth is NOT one of them which is a real shame.

craigwrdouglas

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Edinburgh UK
Best answers
Hi I found a LGB PC module and I'm pretty sure that I have a Massoth one as well somewhere, but couldn't immediately lay my hands on it.

the sprog unit looks useful - does it need a bus or can it operate on it's own?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
craigwrdouglas said:
Hi I found a LGB PC module and I'm pretty sure that I have a Massoth one as well somewhere, but couldn't immediately lay my hands on it.

the sprog unit looks useful - does it need a bus or can it operate on it's own?

Everything you need comes with the SPROG - a small mains power adaptor and a USB lead. That's all that is required, it then wires directly to your test track or rollers and is self-powered. The software for it all all free-downloadable online, though my SPROG II came with it on a CD as well, not sure if the latest versions have that any more.

Jon.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
craigwrdouglas said:
I found a LGB PC module....
I have one of these too. I down loaded the last version of the software MTS-PC 6.0 from an Austrian site. I use this to run my layouts as well as setting up decoders. My old Laptop runs on Win 2K with the LGB PC Interface

More recent versions from 7.0 onwards that use Win XP and higher can be brought from Stellwerk....

http://www.stellwerk-software.de/ste_Inf_e.htm

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
If you have the LGB 55045 Programmer or the Massoth PC module then there is no initial need to purchase a SPROG (trying to save you money here).

I would suggest downloading the Massoth Decoder programmer software to use with the LGB/Massoth unit. It comes with templates for all Massoth and LGB decoders.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Cliff George said:
In my opinion the decoder pro software that comes with the SPROG is quite good.

If you like point and click graphical interfaces where you don't necessarily have to fully understand all of the underling decoder CVs then (beavercreek listen in!) this is the way to go.
Hey, Von Kliff, exactly, as a confirmed user of SPROG and Decoder Pro3...why would anyone WANT to understand CVs if it was just easy to change the functions and parameters in plain english on a graphical interface??? Does remind me of the when Windoze 2 came out and all the C: prompt guys came out and said "You can't use a computer properly if you do not know about DOS "....How wrong they were..............

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
muns said:
If you have the LGB 55045 Programmer or the Massoth PC module then there is no initial need to purchase a SPROG (trying to save you money here).
Yep if you already have the programmers then there's no need for SPROG for LGB and Massoth decoders. You can also use the individual cv read part to quickly program other makes too.
SPROG is a sound investment though for anyone trying to decide which pc unit to start with.