Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Gentlemen,

I lost ALL my work regarding the aa20, hugh boy and my grandfathers loco because i did not store/save it on a usb stick or whatever.....

The aa20.
All 3d files to print for cast and metal work and photos and schematics.......
A lot of work to fifgure out the machine and to build it......
I was ready to build in live steam and cast....kcuf.....

The hugh boy:
I had everything to print 3d.........
Incl pics in 2d to make 3d....gone...incl to make a live steam model(would be a plastic motorized one in first case)

My grandfathers loco.....
I only had pics that would be my next project......
All gone...
I dont even know the number anymore.......

The eerie 9999(and others)......only pics...not so bad, can download them again

I can start all over again, with every thing....from freaking ZERO

My advice......MAKE A BACK UP........

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag

MAKE A BACK UP​

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Were they stored on a hard disc that failed or got corrupted ? as there is software than can get things back from currupted discs, I have got things back from a disc that got re-formatted when it wasn't supposed too.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
It is/was on a hard drive with moving parts, not a modern hard drive.( very old laptop)
As soon as this lockdown is over and my pc guy is open again i will pay him a visit.
I hope he can do his "voodoo magic" with his software.
What happend:
One of my dogs (pure bread Boxers) is still a puppy 1 year old, wild play and there was a cable in the way....
We will see...but i am in for a new one
Thanks

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
It is/was on a hard drive with moving parts, not a modern hard drive.( very old laptop)
As soon as this lockdown is over and my pc guy is open again i will pay him a visit.
I hope he can do his "voodoo magic" with his software.
What happend:
One of my dogs (pure bread Boxers) is still a puppy 1 year old, wild play and there was a cable in the way....
We will see...but i am in for a new one
Thanks
If that data is there it could be corrupted by continuous use of the PC. So if you can do not use that machine till Pc guy gets a look at it.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
The whole laptop is a goner.
I toke out the hd and put it in my wife's laptop and it wouldnt not even make any noise.
The hd is save in the cabinet right now, but i must say i spoil my better half a bit to much....
I bought her a gaming laptop 6 months ago( using it right now)....what a machine! i must have one for myself....
Why drive with a lada to work if you can drive with a cadillac to work?

I will just have to wait for the lockdown to get over.
Thanks

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
For my company i make every month a backup....

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
It's only been a bit over a month but your post has prompted me! Backup now in progress.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
For my company i make every month a backup....
So, for your self?

Clearly after this disaster, you are backing your personal files up?

It's cheap and easy to do. For a company, once a month is not very frequent.

Weekly on most files, and daily for important files. In my work, an engineer losing a week of work is not acceptable, all their work is instantly in the cloud as a backup as well as on a local drive that is raid.

Have to give you a hard time, since you sort of evaded the question! ;)

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Have to give you a hard time, since you sort of evaded the question! ;)
Not at all...
I have a insulation company, with four "contractors" on my payroll, I give warranty on my projects and provide test results!
Not many insulators can or will give warranty.

They are responsible for there own proof, as for me:
I make vids with my phone that i store every week on a "off internet nuc"
All my bills, contracts, quotas and tax forms go monthly on a usb stick.
That usb sticks are in a first class fault, every book year there is a new usb stick, in the Netherlands you must keep your data for 6 years.
In case of a failure i only have to go thru my company email one month back.

In case for my projects, there will be a usb stick permanently in the laptop, so all the data will be stored directly on that stick.
Regarding "the cloud" no sorry, i dont feel comfortable with it, just like youtube, internet accounts, facebook ect.

It's only been a bit over a month but your post has prompted me! Backup now in progress.
No matter how "stupid" or simple a post is, if it could help one person, it is worth it.

Best, Igor

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Regarding "the cloud" no sorry, i dont feel comfortable with it, just like youtube, internet accounts, facebook ect.
Nor me! Perhaps because I don't really understand how it all works, but it all seems a bit insecure. And of course the social media is so full of pitfalls it seems the easiest way to lose your reputation!

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Whist I can understand the reservations about using 'the cloud', it is indeed quite possible that many of you are unaware that you may well have the facility for 'back up's and storage' sitting on the shelf by your telephone point.

Routers With USB Ports

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Whist I can understand the reservations about using 'the cloud', it is indeed quite possible that many of you are unaware that you may well have the faciility for 'back up's and storage' sitting on the shelf by your telephone point.

Routers With USB Ports
The worry about the cloud for me is that someone else is looking after my data, ok so perhaps better i terms if backup than I am doing but control is an important thing with personal data. For quite a while I never used my iMac to connect to the net as I perceived that this was not a safe option.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Whist I can understand the reservations about using 'the cloud', it is indeed quite possible that many of you are unaware that you may well have the faciility for 'back up's and storage' sitting on the shelf by your telephone point.

Routers With USB Ports
I have been using a Buffalo NAS for years (set as a RAID Mirror), and if you have more that one device this is great as you can get to your files from any device. However of recent I have moved down to a Desktop and Tablet, and I don't need my files from my tablet. So all my file are now on a second hard drive, and my back-up is through a Seagate separate device AND important files I cannot replace e.g. photos are backed up to a cloud with free photo storage. Time and technology moves forward and we need to move with it :)

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
For the benefits of others (Igor I give up on you!)

Storing your files on a memory stick is not a backup UNLESS you have TWO copies of your files in TWO locations.

A memory stick is no better or worse than your hard drive.

If you don't have a backup program (there's also backing up the entire system configuration, etc.) at least copy your files once a week to a second location.

Most people get "religion" after the first catastrophic loss, my post is trying to encourage people to not have that loss in the first place. I have not lost a file since 1975.

Greg

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
For the benefits of others (Igor I give up on you!)

Storing your files on a memory stick is not a backup UNLESS you have TWO copies of your files in TWO locations.

A memory stick is no better or worse than your hard drive.

If you don't have a backup program (there's also backing up the entire system configuration, etc.) at least copy your files once a week to a second location.

Most people get "religion" after the first catastrophic loss, my post is trying to encourage people to not have that loss in the first place. I have not lost a file since 1975.

Greg

I probably have resorted to overkill on my back ups, I have 2 x 1TB HDDs plus memory sticks all with the same data on them.
The 2 HDDs are attached to separate computers which are connected via Ethernet so duplication is easy.

Greg,
With regard to the discussion of the "Cloud" could you explain in simple terms what exactly is it and who owns it?
I afraid I do not know much about it except it is a number of "data centres" accessible by internet users, evidently I use it when Blogger saves my blog posts so I guess Google is involved somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I probably have resorted to overkill on my back ups, I have 2 x 1TB HDDs plus memory sticks all with the same data on them.
The 2 HDDs are attached to separate computers which are connected via Ethernet so duplication is easy.

Greg,
With regard to the discussion of the "Cloud" could you explain in simple terms what exactly is it and who owns it?
I afraid I do not know much about it except it is a number of "data centres" accessible by internet users, evidently I use it when Blogger saves my blog posts so I guess Google is involved somewhere.
The cloud is storage over the internet, on somebody’s server, e.g. one drive Microsoft, iCloud Apple, and lots of other clouds.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
What Jimmy said, the Internet is also referred to as the cloud. Cloud storage means some storage server somewhere on the internet.

There are many options, there are automated systems that will backup certain files to the cloud on a regular basis, or when the file is changed, or just generic "storage in the cloud".

I use DropBox myself, you get a limited amount free (and more if you refer friends) and you can determine how to use it, have files only in the cloud, or on your hard drive and the cloud as backup, there are TONS of options out there. I use dropbox for important files that change often, like emails, documents, work stuff.

You can get services that encrypt your "cloud files" to protect them from raging governments, etc.

For my regular backups, I have small portable USB hard drives, where I do my backups with a free software called Macrium Reflect (from the UK), and I do "image" backups, meaning I have a complete image of the disk, such that if the hard drive fails, I can completely recover from a backup to a brand new hard drive in a couple of hours. I back up my 13 computers at varying intervals, based on how often their files are used. My main computers get a weekly backup, and some computers that program sound cards only get backed up every 4 months.

The time to re-install all of your programs, and re-install the operating system on a computer can be days.

There are all kinds of ways to back up, but the message is DO IT, don't wait until you lose a bunch of important files, which may be irreplaceable.

Greg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
And preferably have a copy of your data 'somewhere else'..

I had a Client who kept the backup tapes in a box on top of the Server..
Convenient, maybe? But no good when they flooded and the Server was under three feet of water!